Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
But the Deflector has nothing to do with tractor beams... let me illustrate:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-oEsq4g0_DU..._Stargazer.jpg

In this image we can see that a Tractor beam is being emitted from around the forward torpedo tubes.


http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File...am_emitter.jpg

A stand alone tractor emitter for shuttles


http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File...rcha_class.jpg

Defiant using a topside tractor beam... again not from the deflector.

In fact I can't remember a single instance, where a starship of any species has used the deflector to create a tractor beam.
I never said it did. However you mentioned before that you could "in theory" possibly modify the phaser array to fire a tractor beam. You can't. What you could possibly do though is modify the deflector dish to do so, which makes more sense than a phaser array, because a deflector dish is at least capable of emitting gravitons in a beam whereas a phaser array isn't.

A tractor beam is an attenuated linear graviton beam, and as has been shown on the TV show you can at least project graviton beams from the deflector.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
Nothing odd about them at all... why do you ask?
Just... EPIC!
lol
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Okay, you can use a knife as a screwdriver when you need to but normally you'll tend to use a screwdriver because it's not the best way to use a knife as a screwdriver.
And in later Trek, particularly Voyager, the deflector was used as a swiss army knife.

Can we get back on topic, please?

I had hoped after the Prometheus fires from the nacelles of early STO that we had left such nonsense behind us, especially considering the ship has been in the works for...how long exactly?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Anyone else find some of the Odyssey's hardpoints rather... odd?

I have things like tractor beams shooting out from phaser strips, and deflector powers firing from the nose instead of the main deflector.
Everytime I broadside with beam arrays I wonder why my weapons are firing out of my warp nacelles. It kind of ruins immersion. =P
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-08-2012, 01:05 PM
The difference here though with phasers firing from the nacelles is that there's actually phaser arrays modeled onto the nacelles. Much like the USS Venture and future alternate Enterprise-D had, so why is it an issue to have arrays on the nacelles of the Odyssey-class?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-08-2012, 01:24 PM
I'd guess the problem is that on those other ships they didn't just totally integrate the strips into the nacelles (which doesn't make much sense since we know strips are actually rather big underneath) but put them onto an actual moint on top of the nacelles.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
I'd guess the problem is that on those other ships they didn't just totally integrate the strips into the nacelles (which doesn't make much sense since we know strips are actually rather big underneath) but put them onto an actual moint on top of the nacelles.
I see your point, though the cowling at the end of the nacelle on the Odyssey-class might just house the rest of the phaser mechanism rather than any warp drive components, and that's why it doesn't stick out like the other examples. A bit like the forward section houses the bussard collectors. They might have moved the control room to that end too.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-09-2012, 05:53 AM
The beam arrays also fire from phaser strips on the secondary hull. Depends on your placement vs the enemies for which rear phaser strip is used.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
02-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Personally, I think most of the hardpoints are fine. Seeing some hazard beams leave the ship by the saucer's nose was initially strange, but it's a nice spot to have them depart. I also like the nacelle beam arrays and think it's both refreshing and original.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
02-09-2012, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
Nothing odd about them at all... why do you ask?
Lol, I think it makes it unique.... strange.... but unique.


Edit: Hey, Zoberraz, I like your character's last name....
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:30 PM.