Lt. Commander
# 11
02-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperLimited View Post
Oh man, elevator trolling would be so much fun...
TOR fixed that problem
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBandgeek View Post
That came first to my mind. Made me shiver when my mind converted the Star Trek Theme to a similar elevator music theme
I found this music somewhere and used it for our Fleet Council video. I thought it was fitting lol
Watch our Council introductions Video (1.3min
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-07-2012, 10:03 AM
I agree...

Get rid of all the pretty pictures and replace them with the interior view of a turbolift. (and the apprpriate hummm)

They already have the art done... Just use the turbolift from the Shipyard.

For beaming from one surface to another..., it wouold be really cool to see an effect like what Lt. Barkley experianced when he thought he was getting Transporter-psychosis.

(without the little buggers floating around though)

Lt. Commander
# 14
02-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
I agree...

Get rid of all the pretty pictures and replace them with the interior view of a turbolift. (and the apprpriate hummm)

They already have the art done... Just use the turbolift from the Shipyard.

For beaming from one surface to another..., it wouold be really cool to see an effect like what Lt. Barkley experianced when he thought he was getting Transporter-psychosis.

(without the little buggers floating around though)

See, I think the real trick here could be:

Cinematic triggers. Camera moves to a pretermined point like the turbolift doors. The loading screen is a static image of the doors. Then the new map loads focused on the turbolift doors and zooms back around to 3rd person comtrol view again.

The worst thing is that people on lower video qualities will notice an increase in graphics quality during the loadscreen.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas45 View Post
Mass Effect elevators everywhere...
Mass effect, single player game.

Yes, we could probably do a bunch of fancy things with loading screens, but that would take a lot of work, and would take time away from everything else we want to work on now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I have some Foundry test stuff with one. It's sneaky though. What you do is layer 100 or so identical objects at 1/10 of a meter height difference and use reach triggers to remove and add them to create the impression of an elevator moving.
Yes, there are several very hacky ways to do this, but they are VERY likely to break in multiple ways.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post

STO. Multiplayer game?
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
STO. Multiplayer game?
Indubitably.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Indubitably.
*grabs popcorn.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-07-2012, 10:27 AM
I have to side with KF on that notion. With the exception of the STF's and fleet actions, EVERYTHING else can be played by a single player, alone, with no support from a breathing human.

With that said though, if there was a cut scene just for interior, even better if you could designate a certain type of load screen in say, the foundry editor *cough cough*, for interior movement vs exterior map movement.

I remember there were animated load screens in the past, I also remember it was kind of a debacle then. Perhaps its an idea that can be revisited with just a dark colored telltale traversing a lit background, like in a Fed turbolift?
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Quote:

Yes, we could probably do a bunch of fancy things with loading screens, but that would take a lot of work, and would take time away from everything else we want to work on now.

Yes, there are several very hacky ways to do this, but they are VERY likely to break in multiple ways.
The big hacky tricks are especially prone to multiplayer breakage, which is where the Foundry missions tend to break whenever they do novel things. There are more reliable ways to do this than others.

In general, I could outline a pretty foolproof way to do this if I had access to timers as event triggers. And I could make it work for multiplayer.

The big thing is, platforms going DOWN is easy. It's just physics as players would fall anyway. You just need logic behind the triggers to ensure nobody falls through anything or gets left behind, which is where most Foundrymissions with gimmicks tend to fail. Players going UP on the other hand really requires mobile platforms with an AI behind them. At least, that was always my experience when coding video game platformers and it seems to bear out in Foundry tests.

You need to actually move the player along with the platform for platforms that go up or sideways. Like I say, platforms that go down aren't as much of an issue, especially if they go down in small increments so the player never notices that they're falling.