Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingi
i sense a challenge..

I think i'll make a new character next week, and proceed to run it up to admiral using only melee combat. as well as on my Boffs..

the problem isnt with the game, its with your inability to use the mechanics everyone else is using. as a pointer, one of the most basic melee combo attacks can be created by pressing 1, 1, 2 with almost every melee weapon, including bare-handed. Frsutration is one thing, complaining about a mission that most people can complete with no problems is a little beyond that.
Challenge is one thing.. an annoyance is another.. I Guess people just have differeing view on challenge and annoying. Yes, if I put the time into read melee combo wikis then I dare say I'd be better myself... but why on god's green earth would I go looking for melee combos in a Star Trek game. The fact that they are there astonishes me... and I would NEVER have considered looking fo them.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-07-2012, 12:38 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Alecto
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwackadidl View Post
Challenge is one thing.. an annoyance is another.. I Guess people just have differeing view on challenge and annoying. Yes, if I put the time into read melee combo wikis then I dare say I'd be better myself... but why on god's green earth would I go looking for melee combos in a Star Trek game. The fact that they are there astonishes me... and I would NEVER have considered looking fo them.
i've never read a melee combat wiki for STO in the 2+ years i've been here..

and Melee combat has always been a part of Star Trek, Kirk got into a fist-fight roughly every 4 episodes, Riker was fond of physical violence, Worf had his combat programs, not to mention the entire Klingon species who have a love of knives, swords and close quarters combat in general.. Sisko punched out Q, Janeway ran about the decks with a combat knife...

The Melee in this game includes PBAoE attacks, which makes life easier when facing multiple enemies, the herbs should be even eaiser to locate now that all interactables have a HUGE tag over them from a distance..

and i'm also aware that Slamek (the emo romulan you're locked up with) sometimes glitches and doesnt come out the gates with you.. to make sure that doesnt happen let him lead the way out.

in case you didnt alredy know, by the way, there's a KDF mission where you have to fight melee combat in a competition (the house always wins arc) as well, and later on, if you forget your remodulater against the borg, they dont adapt to melee combat, so you can still actually beat them.

as i said, i can understand frustration when something comes up that you cant figure out right away, but calling for someone's job is a little over the top in my opinion. calm down, take in some of the advice here and give it another try with a cooler head
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-07-2012, 12:50 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Alecto
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingi
i've never read a melee combat wiki for STO in the 2+ years i've been here..

and Melee combat has always been a part of Star Trek, Kirk got into a fist-fight roughly every 4 episodes, Riker was fond of physical violence, Worf had his combat programs, not to mention the entire Klingon species who have a love of knives, swords and close quarters combat in general.. Sisko punched out Q, Janeway ran about the decks with a combat knife...

The Melee in this game includes PBAoE attacks, which makes life easier when facing multiple enemies, the herbs should be even eaiser to locate now that all interactables have a HUGE tag over them from a distance..

and i'm also aware that Slamek (the emo romulan you're locked up with) sometimes glitches and doesnt come out the gates with you.. to make sure that doesnt happen let him lead the way out.

in case you didnt alredy know, by the way, there's a KDF mission where you have to fight melee combat in a competition (the house always wins arc) as well, and later on, if you forget your remodulater against the borg, they dont adapt to melee combat, so you can still actually beat them.

as i said, i can understand frustration when something comes up that you cant figure out right away, but calling for someone's job is a little over the top in my opinion. calm down, take in some of the advice here and give it another try with a cooler head
well as I said.. the herbs don't work and I didn't get the partner so I'm due my frustration when it doesn't work how it's supposed, to for me..

And yes, when I restarted it I had no problems that time.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Soloutions:

Dont play on elite (you advised you were getting injured alot)

take polyweave armour

Tribble buff yourself just before it transports you from the satellite to the ground.

Bring your own melee weapon so you dont have to use the standard ones on the racks.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-07-2012, 03:43 PM
In terms of melee combat, all of the melee weapons have combos which can do more damage than just hitting 1 or 2. Weach melee weapon has it's own set of combo move, but the attack sequiences are all the same.

The following is a melee guide for Hand to Hand and Bat'leth. But the basics still apply.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=97085&

As I said the combo moves are a bit different from weapon to weapon. But their combat effects are similar (holds, stuns, Expose, Exploit, Cone attack, etc). Once you have the basic combo system down, I think your arena matches will be a lot easier.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Its actually a quite simple and super fun Episode. Ill explain,. Just know that if you are fighting the three "dogs" then you have only seen about 20% of the Episode or less. Soooo much more, you are gonna love it!!

Now some tips...

When you get your chance to pick a melee weapon, I suggest taking all 3 since thi is the ONLY way for your FED character to have melee weqapons, without pruchasing the melee weapon pack in C-store.

Now, once you enter ARENA, there will be a bunch of different animals that will appear and attack you. This is what you do....

Focus on the BIGGEST one. Once that one is gone, the smaller ones will go down easily(only some oft he fights have a big one)

The key to fighting in melee is..... KNOCKDOWN!! thats your (3) ability (if set to default and you havent changed its binding)

When you find yourself overwhelmed with 1 or 3 mobs, use that ability and theres a 50/50 chance that mob will be knocked down for 3-5 seconds. Use this time to escape and run away, where you will slowly heal if you get far enough or at least far enough away to heal.

Also, all around the coliseum arena are small PLANTS, if you click them, they WILL HEAL YOU! SO whenevr you get to 40-50% go run to a croner and look for a plant to get healed. Then go back.

Also, if you die, run back fast and the mobs will have same dmg u caused before you died yourself!

FGood luckl!