Lt. Commander
# 501
02-08-2012, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienn View Post
A free to play game is all about pay for win.
Turbine and SOE may disagree with you...
Lt. Commander
# 502
02-08-2012, 04:46 AM
I can't wait to see how much you people are willing to pay for my boxes on the exchange!
Everyone I get will be for sale. You just keep running to the C-store and I will keep posting them.
Win/Win!!!

... Then you can use the stuff while flying you bug ship and wearing your MK XII M.A.C.O. gear. Becuase we know how many people have those. lol...

Now let's get off the fluff and back on the lack on content....
Lt. Commander
# 503
02-08-2012, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomastheCrypticCat View Post
I probably should leave well enough alone, but Iíve been following this thread and thinking about it all day. It seems appropriate address a few things directly, because itís not fair for other people to spend their valuable time defending me as much as I do appreciate it.

First, I am going to apologize for my comments about lack of self-control. Given the discussions that have arisen in this and other threads I can see those remarks were ill-considered and insensitive.

Secondly, the twitter account quoted here, as has been stated, is my personal twitter and the things I say there do not reflect the views of Cryptic or PWE. People who have followed me for a while know that this isnít the first time Iíve used it to complain about forum rancor, and Iím sure it wonít be the last. Admittedly, it was naÔve of me not to expect someone to take what I said and post it here, regardless of my intended audience. That being the case, I donít plan on making it private or censoring myself there. I use that account to talk about STO a lot because Star Trek and this game are very important to me and something I spend a lot of time thinking about. I have become friends with a lot of STO players (and forum goers!) and use my personal twitter account to discuss STO with them. This is why my tone when discussing the game or the forums is typically frank and unsweetened.

Third, I am a low man on the totem-pole and donít really have anything to do with the decisions being made as regards to what we sell in the C-Store and how we sell it. As has been said in this thread a few times over (and I put bluntly on Twitter), Cryptic pays attention to how its products are received and plans new products accordingly.

Believe it or not, I am on your side. I came from this community, paid for my lifetime sub with cash money long before I ever had a shot at a job with Cryptic, and know that a strong relationship between players and developers is essential for STOís future. But lately the signal-to-noise ratio on the forums has become almost impenetrable. Itís hard as both someone who plays the game AND works on it to wade through the hyperbole and vitriol that has become habitual every time thereís a new Dev Blog. What makes that even more confusing is that typically angry feedback in a thread like this almost directly contradicts actual player habits. All these frustrations factored into why I acted out on Twitter this morning, because I want to be able to see these forums and this community as a resource to make the game better. Unfortunately, weíre still mired in the same negativity of pre-F2P launch, even when weíre less than a week away from the return of the long-awaited featured episodes. Frankly, itís frustrating and demoralizing, so I vented about it.

An STO player told me once ďIf you canít stand the heat, stay out of the Warp Core.Ē I suppose that was good advice, but I would offer up some additional wisdom: ďYou can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.Ē It bears consideration for both sides of the player/developer relationship, I think.

If you want STO news on Twitter without all the extra fluff of my personality or opinions I maintain a separate account that is Cryptic-approved and solely for STO. It is at http://twitter.com/cryptic_ttc and if you just want to get the ďgood stuffĒ about STO you should follow my account there.

Finally, itís worth mentioning that I have no idea what happened to CapnLoganís Twitter account, but Iím sure itís not related to what happened with mine today.

TL;DR version:
  • I am sorry for being insensitive
  • My personal twitter reflects my views and my views only
  • Vote with your wallet
  • Donít know about CapnLoganís twitter but it wasnít my fault!
Thanks for this. I don't think it was really needed as I feel your entitled you your opinions but still thank you its a bit refreshing and well written.

As for voting with our wallets heh some of us have very small wallets some of us have very large wallets. Those with the very large wallets apparently seem to vote in favor and when the offerings lack balance as the referenced bug ship then those with very large wallets are favored in terms of competitive game-play which I still feel is where a great deal of the anger stems.

I liked the dillitium exchange because it destroyed the pay to win argument and threat. I hate the boxes because they seem intent on bringing it back and making it worse.
Lt. Commander
# 504
02-08-2012, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain Brown
Thanks for this. I don't think it was really needed as I feel your entitled you your opinions but still thank you its a bit refreshing and well written.

As for voting with our wallets heh some of us have very small wallets some of us have very large wallets. Those with the very large wallets apparently seem to vote in favor and when the offerings lack balance as the referenced bug ship then those with very large wallets are favored in terms of competitive game-play which I still feel is where a great deal of the anger stems.

I liked the dillitium exchange because it destroyed the pay to win argument and threat. I hate the boxes because they seem intent on bringing it back and making it worse.
I think it was, TTCC doesn't really get the concerns and complaints, where they really stem from, and writes them off as unfounded rage.

He showed this too in the priorityone podcast about the ESD signage. Apparantly, those that didn't like the signs didn't actually have a problem with prefferring the old signs or that the new ones weren't as IP appropriate, or that there were better ways to make finding your way around ESD easier, it was because we're too simple and afraid of change, And that WASN'T his personal twitter account.

For his own sake, I think he should actually try and understand the other side of an arguement and respond to that because personal twiitter account or not, stuff like that doesn't do him any favours and will often find its way back here.

Or keep his mouth shut.
Lt. Commander
# 505
02-08-2012, 05:30 AM
what bothers me is that after the whole debacle of the holiday box, they return making it even worse by making it useless with out a c-store purchase. These are items people want, and if they would just market them slightly differently They would sell just as many with out getting all the negative feedback for it. Sure they're not putting a gun to the players head and "forcing" them to buy the key, but by baiting the box with the ship and requiring a key they're in fact unfairly coercing a person to put in the c-points for a loot drop. which in loose terms is still forcing. And to make matters worse people are trying to pass it off as "people need to practice self control" which is true, they do, but at the same time Cryptic knows what it is doing and it is taking an unneeded advantage of peoples love of Trek.

Things to make people happy with the new loot box cash grab:

1) Make them a C-store purchase: Get rid of the key, it sounds cool on paper, but this little change will get rid of the negative conotation of "pay to open" or needing c-points for a loot drop. Selling the box with out the need for a key is a better tactic than giving the box for free and requiring a key.

2) Elim Garak's Fine Clothing: Instead of selling a key for C-points add this store to DS9 in place of that boring old tailor. Inside i'm sure there would be a few Cardassians willing to help open the lock for Latinum or Credits. Again, this helps remove the C-store stigma and allow loot boxes attained ingame to be opened through ingame means. As an added bonus it would add something new to the Promenade that would be more Canon as well as just a nice touch. Seriously, who wouldn't want to pay a cardassian under the table to open a Safe as loot over paying the C-store for being cheated?

3) Give us the %@%##% drop rate: People want this ship. i don't personally because i'm not a huge fan of the Galor, but others do. And giving the actual drop rate would directly impact sales. Give the people a visual increase of the drop rate and you will see an increase in how many people buy. No more of the Super secret drop rate that's so low it's by pure luck. That isn't going over so well in the STFs and it didn't seem to sit well with the holiday box. You're losing respect and players over that kind of bad marketing stunt. You're better than that Cryptic, shame on you.

4) Give us a reason to trust you again: I know the game is F2P now. I know that requires getting money from a different route than just subs, as well as CBS not wanting every one and their mother to be flying in nonfaction ships. I get that. But don't feel the need to sucker people into paying you. All Cryptic really needs is to quit being lazy and shady and just make things worth while. Most pre pay to win items are still cool. I like the new ships having cool new abilities, i LOVE that you can now get some of these cross faction abilities through a loot box. Costumes i wouldn't mind being made unisex or having a few more options for since your raised the price but they're other wise cool. PEOPLE WANT TO GIVE YOU MONEY... They really do. Add more of an incentive for the gold accounts and people will gladly pay. All you need to do is get on peoples good side again and they'll throw money at you. Fans WANT this game to succeed, but you lose those fans with trying to force them to pay rather than making it worth their while.
Lt. Commander
# 506
02-08-2012, 05:33 AM
another engineer ship?!?
WTF?

if i get a lock box, im gonna sell it in the exchange
Lt. Commander
# 507
02-08-2012, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomastheCrypticCat View Post

I would offer up some additional wisdom: ďYou can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.Ē It bears consideration for both sides of the player/developer relationship, I think.

TL;DR version:
  • I am sorry for being insensitive
  • My personal twitter reflects my views and my views only
  • Vote with your wallet
  • Donít know about CapnLoganís twitter but it wasnít my fault!
I just wish the Cryptic would listen to your advise there. This latest action is 'vinegar', you might want to instead develop actual game content and sell things that people want to buy instead of gambling.

Personally i preferred the game when it was subscription only. THe only hting that you needed to do then to bring in new players, was to give them something to do in game i.e. missions (that's what this whole game is about) and fix all the bugs.

So instead we still have a bugged to hell game with no end game content, but we have chance boxes where you might get a new ship (although the odds are better at being hit by a falling asteroid).
Lt. Commander
# 508
02-08-2012, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkiemelissa
I get you want to make money, but I don't think in order to open these boxes you should have to have a master key. These should be free at least for gold members. A lot of us are not going to play these type of games after the whole winter wonderland.
Ya, gold members should be able to open the boxes without a key. Even if a silver collects and hoards a lot of boxes to open all at once, the silver will have to pay $15 to do so.
Lt. Commander
# 509
02-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Quote:
You know, if the signal to noise ratio is heading towards noise, it might mean that you people need to move back towards the source of the signal.

People are up in arms because cryptic is making insane, and in the end unsustainable decisions. We've told you what will secure our permenant consumership, we've even shown you how to pull it off multiple times over, and you people keep doing the EXACT OPPOSITE. And then you wonder why you're getting extremely poor press and why anyone who can talk to you is ready to lynch your studio.

Stop offering game-altering items in the drop boxes for one. Ultra-rare costume pieces should be the most valuable things in them, not entire freaking ships.

#2: listen to us when we say that you need to spend the money and time to develop the tech for bottle episodes half-based in foundry tech, and then produce filler missions in between the FE's, because the only way you'll keep F2P'ers long enough to actually see the next FE is to keep putting out missions!
that really won't work, focusing exclusively on missions. why? it takes a long time developer-side to make them, and when they're released? we eat through them in hours, days at worst, and then we're right back where we started...

in other words, new missions, while great, are just a short-term solution that is NOT the way to go.

are they great? yes? are they good long-term? no

these new grab-bags? the work of PW, not Cryptic, who most are blaming (which is fail by itself). it's sad that people are actually surprised another came out.

and all this rage and/or complaining? if you don't like it, don't buy it. if you want it, but don't want to buy? then grind dilithilum, exchange it, then get it free. if you want to buy? then go ahead... either way, it's your choice. all this backlash is just pointless, as Cryptic just follow orders (and really, they don't have a choice, or they lose their jobs)

and also, from how i've seen it, your opinions look like the exact opposite of how things need to go
Lt. Commander
# 510
02-08-2012, 06:40 AM
HAAAAAAH!
i knew the moment Captain Logan tweetleaked the pic of the Galor Class that it would be in the next random crap box.

soooo predictable.

Good thing i do not play a Cardassian, therefore no need.

at least there are less items in those Boxes that are useless.
(in the winter box was only old crap nobody wanted or already had + the Bug, in this one there are at least some new items that may be worth it)

not sure though about that loot drop + c-store key system.

does that mean i have to PAY + PLAY to get this?

no brute force buying like the winter box?

hmmh...