Lt. Commander
# 21
02-08-2012, 08:11 AM
The problem with speed leveling is that you don't have any real time to enjoy your ships. This is especially true if you have C-Store ships. When each Rank is 7-8 /played hours someone can blow through a ship in only a few days: assuming only playing 2 hours a day. When you spend $15.00+ on a ship you don't want to be past it in a long weekend.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoberraz View Post
Think of it this way: the leveling curve is presently quite intent on you reaching level 50 before you generally get to end-game storywise. For example, during the double XP weekend I got my Kimberly from level 1 to 50 around the Devidian arc of the Klingon War... which left a lot of story content to go.

So, assuming this is as designed, then this is the following conclusion I'm drawing: the developer generally mean for you to spend most of your time playing the game at maximum level. This isn't a foreign concept in itself - the much lauded Guild Wars works like that too.

The level-progression then serves one purpose: training the player. Your time spent leveling up is time that you get used to an increasing array of powers and abilities. Since you start small, it prevents you from being overwhelmed until you're quite used to it by level 50.
This.

This is why I am fine with the leveling and wished it was faster. There is no need for making content much before level 50. The only sub 50 content we need it Klingon content and content for a hopeful Romulan expansion.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
The problem with speed leveling is that you don't have any real time to enjoy your ships. This is especially true if you have C-Store ships. When each Rank is 7-8 /played hours someone can blow through a ship in only a few days: assuming only playing 2 hours a day. When you spend $15.00+ on a ship you don't want to be past it in a long weekend.
Feeds into the 'why can't I play a T5 Connie/Nova/whatever?' argument. You buy a skin, let people use what they want to be seen in so long as it is the same type of ship -Sci-Tac-Eng-Carrier.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
If you are doing that then you are not really playing the game. I have a new Admiral who has only done DOFF Missions. I logged in 3 times a day: morning, afternoon, and evening and gave him fresh DOFF Mission. I doubt the character has even 12 /played hours yet he's level 50, and I did it in less then a month. I don't consider that character played nor enjoyed; and that's what you're talking about above.
That's not a problem for me. Sounds like Crytic found a way to give those players, whom previously only had Diplomacy misions--which weren't very many-- a viable way to get to level cap without going the non-Trek route and capping & exploding a whole bunch of ships on their way to VA. Do you really want to take that away from people whom want to see if STO is what they want in a non-combat game within the standard 30 trial time? Remember STO boxes are still being sold for 5 to 20 bucks giving people Gold tier access for 30 days.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-08-2012, 08:24 AM
OP: it is a lack of content that is half the problem. the other half is this new leveling system is something i never liked which is the other half.

if i gave over a week from SWTOR to STO one of these days to purely level, it would probably be done in under 5 days at most, that is enough time for small rest breaks, toilet, food and drink and sleep, nothing more then that. In comparison i have only got a single 50 level toon and its definately alot more rewarding grinding through on SWTOR then there is on STO and im still at it after just a month and a bit!

before this whole fast leveling crap, it would of taken roughly 5 days by going through LT grade and 3 grades into LT cmdr grade to reach the next exploration sector and grind from there. thats when leveling meant a damn unlike now. its nothing but an inconveniance before you hit level 51 and then grind like crazy in STFs all your life...
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-08-2012, 09:03 AM
I got to 50 inside a week i just ran patrols since they are MUCH faster than story quests.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallibel
I got to 50 inside a week i just ran patrols since they are MUCH faster than story quests.
But isn't the point of the game to enjoy the stories?
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
STO is somewhat similar - the endgame has a lot of ways to 'broaden' your character.
By broaden, I assume you mean coral you into the c-store and replay the same missions over, and over and over again?
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkball View Post
As I recall... hitting max level (20?) in Guild Wars was pretty quick too...
Yes but you haven't even really hit midway through the content by 20 in Prophecies. So it's not as bad as hitting cap fast and nothing to do but dungeons aka STFs.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers
By broaden, I assume you mean coral you into the c-store and replay the same missions over, and over and over again?
LOL. You left out one "and over".