Lt. Commander
# 31
02-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserkerkitten View Post
I know some people will want to tear me apart for this, but the reason for the flat leveling curve is pretty simple - lack of content. The episodes are just about enough to get you from 1 to 50 with a few of them left after you hit the cap. There are some small gaps which you will have to bridge with a fleet action or two, but other than that, it's absolutely no problem to reach the level cap within a week or less. For the better or worse, if it took any longer, you'd have to do a whole lot of awful, randomly-generated exploration missions and dig around the user-generated content to get your level ups.

EDIT: That said, I'm not sure there's a clever, useful way to improve the whole leveling experience. I'd love being able to play for a month or longer before hitting Vice Admiral, but imagine the insane amount of episodes it would take to provide actual content for such an amount of play time. Maybe they should take the best, most popular user-generated adventures, put them on the "official" episode list and make them part of the leveling process. I wouldn't mind if the whole thing took a lot longer. I like STO a lot, but I just can't get myself to play it much after doing all the STFs and experiencing every episode 2 or 3 times. I want more stuff to do!
And that's the "content-rich" Fed side. Wait until he sees the lack of content the KDF has.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
Feeds into the 'why can't I play a T5 Connie/Nova/whatever?' argument. You buy a skin, let people use what they want to be seen in so long as it is the same type of ship -Sci-Tac-Eng-Carrier.
I'm all for it, but I'd still like to actually enjoy a ship for more than just a few hours and then outlevel it. Right now, obtaining a promotion and a new ship doesn't feel like much of an achievement. Every new ship should be a milestone IMO, should feel like something big and special, but if you go through ships like Kirk went through random space flusies, they just stop feeling special after a while. I know being able to use them as a skin of sorts would somewhat rectify this, but I still wouldn't feel like I've achieved something by obtaining the next higher tier of ship.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Yea it goes pretty quick especially with the duty officer system rolling with ya. Probably the longest road to top level for me was FFXI Online...getting to level 75 was a amazingly long process...but you really felt like you achieved greatness getting there. I will give them props on that.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserkerkitten View Post
You most certainly won't hit the level cap on TOR in 30 hours.
You don't know memebers of my gaming Guild (we started in EQ and have done pretty much every major MMO since in some fashion, although in STO, only 5 remain and we no longer have a formal Guld setup here in STO as none of us who remained were the Guild Leader type - but hey, we all found other Guilds in STO and I'm liking TOS Veterans Fleet a lot here in STO); but anyway:

The first two level 50ies in our SWToR Guild (and not power leveling or spacebaring either - just via focused play) hit 50 in TOR in about 25 hours of play.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
In Guild Wars, you hit max level before you left the tutorial island (if you were doing the later expansions.) But this was a good thing, because character progression was not about leveling, it was about building your 'deck' of skills and abilities. The entire focus was on the endgame.

STO is somewhat similar - the endgame has a lot of ways to 'broaden' your character.
I prefer it this way.
Take WOW as the other extreme, level cap keeps going up, and what do you do to reach that? mostly pointless grinding missions to get your xp.

I dont mind getting to the max level quick, as long as when youre at max level thers plenty to do and see and lots of extra skills to pick up, like Guild Wars
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-08-2012, 01:28 PM
I remember playing EQ1 for 3 months and only getting to level 21...

When STO first came out, everyone was admiral in like 2-3 weeks. Now its even faster, which IMO is a bit too fast, its so fast now that its difficult to learn the game and even harder to enjoy the ships at each tier. Its almost pointless now to try and get good loot for each tier, better to just run with whatever you find in terms of drops until you hit level 50.
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Leveling is too fast, simply put. It diminishes the gameplay experience. You level so quickly, you don't even get a chance to finish all the storyline missions by the time you hit lvl 50. After that, there is no incentive to even finish the storyline missions, even if they do have good stories. It has reduced the meaning of them, plus, it has reduced the meaning of owning gear at each level. With leveling so fast, you end up not spending resources on gear at each level, and just wait till RA to gear up properly.

The meaning of everything has been reduced. Then, you get to 50 so fast, and find out there is no more content. With such a content light game, why rush to get to the end? It makes no sense at all.

Please Cryptic, dial back the rate of leveling, if not at the level it was when the game launched (which was great IMO), then at least a compromise, somewhere in-between then and now.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-08-2012, 01:43 PM
I used mostly duty officers to level to 50 with the occasional hour or so here and there to run missions... THEN, I started doing missions. Since the missions scale to lvl I am having a blast not being concerned about my level and playing through the episodes and missions. I am halfway through the Romulan missions at the moment. Getting great loot to use and sell. I am in no way regretting hitting top level too soon. It has enhanced my fun.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-08-2012, 01:56 PM
It took me about 3 to 4 days to hit max level back at launch. Probly would have done it quicker except the servers were constantly crashing. I think one thing people don't remember from when it was "slower" in STO, there were HUGE gaps between missions. You'd have to go grind out several levels on fleet actions, pvp or patrols to get to the next story mission every few missions. Now that there's finally enough missions to see a person from start to max, I think that's fine.

What I think they should focus on now (aside from bug fixes) is alternate methods of leveling. Different paths than the single linear play every mission in order.
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Doctor.
Leveling is too fast, simply put. It diminishes the gameplay experience. You level so quickly, you don't even get a chance to finish all the storyline missions by the time you hit lvl 50. After that, there is no incentive to even finish the storyline missions, even if they do have good stories. It has reduced the meaning of them, plus, it has reduced the meaning of owning gear at each level. With leveling so fast, you end up not spending resources on gear at each level, and just wait till RA to gear up properly.

The meaning of everything has been reduced. Then, you get to 50 so fast, and find out there is no more content. With such a content light game, why rush to get to the end? It makes no sense at all.

Please Cryptic, dial back the rate of leveling, if not at the level it was when the game launched (which was great IMO), then at least a compromise, somewhere in-between then and now.
What about scaling rewards? Storylijne missions now that they have scaling rewards have a better ROI than STFs.