Lt. Commander
Im a Gold, and I feel more than a little torked off. There is absolutely NO incentive for us to keep our subs besides some very small things like the 400 CP stipend. If it was like 1200 CP it would be worth it. Game's 12 bucks a month, and it would make CP defined as 100 points per dollar for Golds.

It makes much more sense to me, but otherwise the Silvers are getting all of the breaks (with the exception of the Sector Block Advertisements on Voice Chat, which most people don't use), they can even buy EC cap extensions which make the Silver EC cap virtually an option, and the Golds and Lifetimes are being shafted, exactly like we knew we would be.

Its a pretty sad state of affairs, the Subs are PWE's constant revenue stream. Its a guaranteed source of revenue, every month they get real, hard currency from us, yet they're treating us like their red shirted step-children. Something needs to be done about it. The current incentives to stay gold aren't very appealing. There is no attempt at retention. There's no "Stay Gold" retention program like the Army's "Stay Army" retention program, they simply do not care which I see as being equal to suicide and I do not want to see that for this game, it has an unbelieveable amount of potential. The only real attempt is the 400 CP stipend and thats honestly not very much for 12 bucks. For the same 12 bucks I can buy 1000 CP if I'm a Silver. Its 60% more CP than the Gold Stipend.

Honestly, I dont really see the point in keeping a Gold Sub unless they do something to make us either more Elite, give us something private that the silvers cannot do, or some such. It makes no sense at all.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadamsxii View Post
Im a Gold, and I feel more than a little torked off. There is absolutely NO incentive for us to keep our subs besides some very small things like the 400 CP stipend. If it was like 1200 CP it would be worth it. Game's 12 bucks a month, and it would make CP defined as 100 points per dollar for Golds.

It makes much more sense to me, but otherwise the Silvers are getting all of the breaks (with the exception of the Sector Block Advertisements on Voice Chat, which most people don't use), they can even buy EC cap extensions which make the Silver EC cap virtually an option, and the Golds and Lifetimes are being shafted, exactly like we knew we would be.

Its a pretty sad state of affairs, the Subs are PWE's constant revenue stream. Its a guaranteed source of revenue, every month they get real, hard currency from us, yet they're treating us like their red shirted step-children. Something needs to be done about it. The current incentives to stay gold aren't very appealing. There is no attempt at retention. There's no "Stay Gold" retention program like the Army's "Stay Army" retention program, they simply do not care which I see as being equal to suicide and I do not want to see that for this game, it has an unbelieveable amount of potential. The only real attempt is the 400 CP stipend and thats honestly not very much for 12 bucks. For the same 12 bucks I can buy 1000 CP if I'm a Silver. Its 60% more CP than the Gold Stipend.

Honestly, I dont really see the point in keeping a Gold Sub unless they do something to make us either more Elite, give us something private that the silvers cannot do, or some such. It makes no sense at all.
They make far more off the c-store than they ever will off subs. One good ship costs more than a monthly subscription, and the small things are even larger sellers.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Honestly, I dont really see the point in keeping a Gold Sub unless ...
So don't stay gold. Going silver is in fact the best any subscriber who's characters are already leveled out can do. Sad but true.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2012, 05:30 PM
They will never make Gold more attractive because they may their money from the Silver players (via C-Store Purchases). We have to wonder if Gold would have been offered if STO started out as F2P? I see Gold as a remnant of the previous subscription model to retain existing players, and to offer an option. I only ever played for free on Champions Online. Everyone has to make their own decision.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
They will never make Gold more attractive because they may their money from the Silver players (via C-Store Purchases). We have to wonder if Gold would have been offered if STO started out as F2P? I see Gold as a remnant of the previous subscription model to retain existing players, and to offer an option. I only ever played for free on Champions Online. Everyone has to make their own decision.
It's painfully obvious that 'gold' exists so that us lifers don't feel like we've been bent over a barrel.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malianx View Post
It's painfully obvious that 'gold' exists so that us lifers don't feel like we've been bent over a barrel.
Yeah, but I don't feel that way. I have well and truly covered any monthly subscription with my LTS well before STO went F2P. I feel for those that were no able to do that. C-Store was here before F2P so that does not change anything for me.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
Yeah, but I don't feel that way. I have well and truly covered any monthly subscription with my LTS well before STO went F2P. I feel for those that were no able to do that. C-Store was here before F2P so that does not change anything for me.
I'm pretty much in the same boat really. I was only a couple months off of being paid for. I bet most of us are, as marketing really dropped off for the game shortly after launch.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Absolutely correct. I believe that there is no need to have a legacy sub model if the Free/Silver players get just about everything we have. I do have reservations regarding using microtransactions as a revenue model, but it does work sometimes.

If they think they can make it work, as I believe they do, they may as well just tell the lifers and subs to go to hell and convert their accounts. Except more diplomatically and businesslike of course. I see no reason to have Gold Accounts that give the Subscribers about nothing, when we can spend the same amount of money for a larger amount of direct CP.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Absolutely correct. I believe that there is no need to have a legacy sub model if the Free/Silver players get just about everything we have. I do have reservations regarding using microtransactions as a revenue model, but it does work sometimes.

If they think they can make it work, as I believe they do, they may as well just tell the lifers and subs to go to hell and convert their accounts. Except more diplomatically and businesslike of course. I see no reason to have Gold Accounts that give the Subscribers about nothing, when we can spend the same amount of money for a larger amount of direct CP.
The key in this, is that not everyone will realize they are getting nothing, some people just aren't that aware. So they'll end up with the money lifers put down, plus micro transactions, plus a few (not a lot) but some subs.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Quote:
The key in this, is that not everyone will realize they are getting nothing, some people just aren't that aware. So they'll end up with the money lifers put down, plus micro transactions, plus a few (not a lot) but some subs.
Yeah, I know. Alot of people aren't aware, and if they ever woke up and cancelled their subs, it wouldnt make much of a difference because of the microtransactions making the bulk of the revenue as you said earlier.

I know better (because Ive been playing this game since 2010) than to think they'll actually do anything for subs and/or lifers. It would be nice but it wont happen. Eventually we're probably all going to get converted. Thats what I believe based on the current tide of the game's administration. Ive never played champions so I have no idea what happened there but it seems to me they're trying to reduce us to a minority and then quietly eliminate us as being something legacy that is completely irrelevant in the "New" form of the game and its economy. Its a good strategy, I applaud them for their business acumen. I dont appreciate it being a Subscriber, but I do understand where they're coming from. Its just a shame really.

I guess this is mostly me wanting to hold on to the past and the way things were. It doesn't really matter to them in the long or short run though.