Lt. Commander
I was just looking through the threads and saw one about why items or equipment is never damaged or destroyed, or why you can't lose bridge officers. I hit on an idea.

Like starships and BOffs, you can get injuries. I think this was a great idea when it first started and I always have a supply of Minor Components/Regenerators for my missions.

My first idea (only to happen in some rare instances) is to introduce a new class of injury to Ships and BOffs, the same type of injury that forces the removal of a ship/BOff from combat. This forces you to rely on different ships and different BOffs to do your missions. Despite my fleet of 7 starships, I usually only rely on one and have never used the rest. And for away missions, it is always the same four people. What I'm proposing simply forces you to rotate your starships and your BOffs.

So when a starship is damaged to the point that it needs some serious overhaul or a BOff is injured to the point where it needs to be on medical leave, that ship or BOff is withdrawn from service. How this can be repaired is anyone's idea, but I propose the DOff system to deal with these injuries. Of course, having rarer DOffs to assist in rehabilitating your ship/BOff can increase the speed of recovery. And recovery time does not have to be playable time, like the DOff system, it can be done when you are logged off.

The second idea (to happen more often than rare) is that instead of some ship/player/BOff injuries, some damage be done to an affected item, be it a phaser, torpedo launcher, personal and ship shields, body armor, etc. When such an item is damaged, you may need to switch it out with a spare. Once you are in Sector Space, you can take such an item for repair. One could use Data Samples to repair such items (for rarer items/equipment, rarer samples are required).

These ideas would add a bit more realism to the game and introduce another dimension of maintenance element to the game, this means that you'll need to ensure that you have the right items to make sure your stuff is in tip top shape. Like the current injury system, these items are best for PvE battles.

What do you think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2012, 03:58 PM
What would you do when your ships needs the overhaul while you are in the middle of a mission? This could make the mission difficult to complete, don't you think? You might have to quit.

Or worse, what if the ship is removed while mid-mission? You beam down to the Surface and then you are suddenly stuck. You can't beam up to complete the last Space-Section of the Mission and you can't quit because there would be no ship for Sector Travel.

I've had a Ship destroyed and a BOff took an injury. I guess a console ay have exploded or something. It was never really explained.

And why does the Android need regenerators to heal injuries rather than components?

Those comments were neither here nor there. This just seemed as good a topic for mentioning them as any other.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeslyn
What would you do when your ships needs the overhaul while you are in the middle of a mission? This could make the mission difficult to complete, don't you think? You might have to quit.

Or worse, what if the ship is removed while mid-mission? You beam down to the Surface and then you are suddenly stuck. You can't beam up to complete the last Space-Section of the Mission and you can't quit because there would be no ship for Sector Travel.

I've had a Ship destroyed and a BOff took an injury. I guess a console ay have exploded or something. It was never really explained.

And why does the Android need regenerators to heal injuries rather than components?

Those comments were neither here nor there. This just seemed as good a topic for mentioning them as any other.
well, for the ship disappearing mid mission, they could always make a special hail button and basically act as a "ship select screen" and call in your replacement ship to pick you up.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahna_los View Post
I was just looking through the threads and saw one about why items or equipment is never damaged or destroyed, or why you can't lose bridge officers. I hit on an idea.

Like starships and BOffs, you can get injuries. I think this was a great idea when it first started and I always have a supply of Minor Components/Regenerators for my missions.

My first idea (only to happen in some rare instances) is to introduce a new class of injury to Ships and BOffs, the same type of injury that forces the removal of a ship/BOff from combat. This forces you to rely on different ships and different BOffs to do your missions. Despite my fleet of 7 starships, I usually only rely on one and have never used the rest. And for away missions, it is always the same four people. What I'm proposing simply forces you to rotate your starships and your BOffs.

So when a starship is damaged to the point that it needs some serious overhaul or a BOff is injured to the point where it needs to be on medical leave, that ship or BOff is withdrawn from service. How this can be repaired is anyone's idea, but I propose the DOff system to deal with these injuries. Of course, having rarer DOffs to assist in rehabilitating your ship/BOff can increase the speed of recovery. And recovery time does not have to be playable time, like the DOff system, it can be done when you are logged off.

The second idea (to happen more often than rare) is that instead of some ship/player/BOff injuries, some damage be done to an affected item, be it a phaser, torpedo launcher, personal and ship shields, body armor, etc. When such an item is damaged, you may need to switch it out with a spare. Once you are in Sector Space, you can take such an item for repair. One could use Data Samples to repair such items (for rarer items/equipment, rarer samples are required).

These ideas would add a bit more realism to the game and introduce another dimension of maintenance element to the game, this means that you'll need to ensure that you have the right items to make sure your stuff is in tip top shape. Like the current injury system, these items are best for PvE battles.

What do you think?
The really short answer for this is because most players (and the developers in this case agree) don't find that fun. This is also the reason you don't have limited torpedoes, fuel for the ships, etc. Game play always trumps realism basically.