Lt. Commander
# 1 Ways to Unbind Items
02-11-2012, 03:15 AM
Like many players out there I've been playing since Beta but added new characters over the last two years to level up. One problem with this is that some items are not availiable anymore for my newer characters, which stings when I have bound duplicates of those items in my older characters bank. This is worse when you start to enjoy playing your newer character more than the older one.

I've been trying to think of a way to unbind items that are bound to you, but realise that this could create some very serious problems reguarding certain very specific items, and would also greately effect the exchange as well.

My best idea at the moment would be a C-Store item (quite expensive like a T5 ships price to help prevent abuse) which would unbind an item within your account. Allowing that item to be transfered to an alt you might have, but not sold on the exchange. Clearly some items would have to be excluded but... it's an idea.

Has anyone (either players or Cryptic Employees) have given much thought into ways this could be achieved safely?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-11-2012, 03:42 AM
May be something as simple as an Account bind instead of a character bind. Transfer via mail of these items would attract a EC fee of 25% of the item value.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-11-2012, 04:19 AM
Yeah I think the major design reasoning behind is it makes those companies out there who thrive on stealing from others so they have a pure profit business not bother with messing with STO players accounts and characters. Same with dilithium since its pretty much designed where you cannot sell or trade it unless its to get cryptic points so the only people that can profit is the company as it should be. The account binding though would achieve the same goal.

The only downside Cryptic would look at is it would worsen the economy for the need for players to want to get dilithium. Odds are because this new economy with dilithium being a major key in it that I doubt we would see account binding items unless they are C-Store items as they are now with ships and certain items. Although brought up the right way where money can still be made by cryptic with a system of account binding items possibly an option with using a higher dilithium cost when crafting and be it the only way to get account bound items would probally be the middle ground for both sides to get what they want or depending on the point of view of what they need.

One element I suggested a long time ago was Account Wide Banking System because the way things were going on STO some of us ended up having to create a fleet for our characters for multiple reasons and now its just not viable for us to be part of anyones fleet since it breaks the system of how we are set up.