Lt. Commander
# 141
02-09-2012, 05:10 AM
A fool and his money are soon parted.

And I'll buy the tribbles and pets for 10k EC in the exchange.
Lt. Commander
# 142
02-09-2012, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VengefulDjinn
You know, the argument that CBS doesn't want a ton of these ships around is mute really. Because eventually, (after enough of these grab bags), that's just what we'll get.
Unless they limit the number to 100 (or so) possible ships. I doubt they do that.
Lt. Commander
# 143
02-09-2012, 06:14 AM
why did my jem hadar attack ship not come with special weaponry like that?

hmpf...
Lt. Commander
# 144 Still sad
02-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Why would the Galor be a better ship than the new flagship of the Federation when it's decades old? Especially when I've personally blown up about 200 of them already. The money grab means that they're selling ships better than the much more modern top of the line vessels for the other factions.

Of course, this is a slope that can only get more slippery. By next year it will be Romulan D'deridex with 2 commander boff slots, 12 weapons, and a console that lets you fire all weapons while cloaked.

This is good for your revenue, but it is bad for the players in the end. It destroys any chance of competitive balance, craps on the lore of the Trek universe, and has turned a Teen game into a game that will deserve a M rating since it involves minors gambling. I'm guessing that there will be repercussions to your company from this line of revenue.

We are not China. You guys will have to learn this the hard way I expect, which is ironic since PWE acquired you because you guys understood the Western market. Preying on people's lack of impulse control may make you money, but it will not make you good.
Lt. Commander
# 145
02-09-2012, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
Why would the Galor be a better ship than the new flagship of the Federation when it's decades old? Especially when I've personally blown up about 200 of them already. The money grab means that they're selling ships better than the much more modern top of the line vessels for the other factions.

Of course, this is a slope that can only get more slippery. By next year it will be Romulan D'deridex with 2 commander boff slots, 12 weapons, and a console that lets you fire all weapons while cloaked.

This is good for your revenue, but it is bad for the players in the end. It destroys any chance of competitive balance, craps on the lore of the Trek universe, and has turned a Teen game into a game that will deserve a M rating since it involves minors gambling. I'm guessing that there will be repercussions to your company from this line of revenue.

We are not China. You guys will have to learn this the hard way I expect, which is ironic since PWE acquired you because you guys understood the Western market. Preying on people's lack of impulse control may make you money, but it will not make you good people.
Man now I'm stuck on whether to make Chris' STOked quote or this quote my new future sig.

But imho this right here. STO is waay different in a bad sense sinse it has launched.
Lt. Commander
# 146
02-09-2012, 07:25 AM
CBS wants the Galor as ultrarare.

Cryptic has the chance to give the ship as a reward of an ultrarare quest... or do the cstore thing.

My opinion, the ship should be for the best players instead of the luckiest ones.

Colud be a Pvp reward, if you lose flying a Galor, you give the ship to the winner.

But if they need the money the cstore thing is the best option.

Sorry for my english.
Lt. Commander
# 147
02-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormandus
CBS wants the Galor as ultrarare.
No, that's wrong. CBS will only allow these non Federation/Klingon ships if they are ultra rare.
Quote:
Cryptic has the chance to give the ship as a reward of an ultrarare quest... or do the cstore thing.
Ideal, but hard to gate. Its very hard to make a video game actually challenging, solely dependent upon player skill. Take the behemoth MMO, WoW. A lot of their legendary weapons are based upon getting lots of really low drop rate drops. Many of their achievements are also tied to low drop rate stuff.

Considering that STO is now F2P, their revenue comes from the C-Store, and the only way to make money off a F2P game is to either constantly attract lots of new players (not feasible), or offer consumables (very feasible).
Quote:
Colud be a Pvp reward, if you lose flying a Galor, you give the ship to the winner.
That's gambling for pink slips. Gambling would not be allowed.
Lt. Commander
# 148
02-09-2012, 07:43 AM
I understand the money making and the f2p... probably you´re right.

The boxes "you dont know what is inside you pay to know" is not considered gamblin?

All content in the game has to be allowed by CBS?

Sorry for my english again and thx for the answer.
Lt. Commander
# 149
02-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
We are not China. You guys will have to learn this the hard way I expect, which is ironic since PWE acquired you because you guys understood the Western market. Preying on people's lack of impulse control may make you money, but it will not make you good.
I believe one of the podcasts (obviously not STOked) touched on that. The western market has different mentality that simply is not compatible with the eastern mentality. But apparently Cryptic nor PWE is understanding that at the moment so long as they continue to get money from players. Hence why I suggested an #STOBoycott on Twitter.

I do find it not Star Trek like that we are flying another factions vessel. I know there were times during covert operations that one side would use a captured vessel but you never saw a commissioned captured/borrowed vessel on the screen at all. I could see justification if resources were low and the need to have more ships out and about was around, but obviously both sides can still produce their own ships, so why do we have these Jem Bugs and Galors roaming around doing normal missions. At least on the Fed side, I doubt these ships are as good when it comes to exploration than your standard starfleet vessel.

It would be far more sensible to just create the other factions.
Lt. Commander
# 150
02-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursix
It would be far more sensible to just create the other factions.
Depending on your point of view. We still only have one "complete" faction - even Cryptic admits as much. Without knowing anything about development I would say that if it was easy to create other factions it would have happened a long time ago.
EB