Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Ensign
# 131 Crackling / Stuttering
04-23-2014, 02:55 AM
Hi guys,

I m having sound issues since I started playing this game 2 months ago. I use a Creative Sound Blaster Z and I noticed this:

If I put out the sound optical to my sound system all is fine except for when theres too much shooting and stuff happening it sounds like the software audio engine of the game is overloaded and starts skipping sounds.

If I play on my Headset which is connected with a normal 3,5mm jack I get sound crackling weird noises stuttering static + skipping sounds. I tried all settings from simple stereo to upmixing virtual surround etc. nothing helps.

My computer is high end and this is the only game that gives me audio issues at all.

Can someone help?
Ensign
# 132 Hello?
04-29-2014, 03:30 AM
lol is anyone even reading or caring about this? Searching a bit reveals I m not the only one with sound problems in STO. And now the new season 9 even gives my R9 290 a hard time.
Career Officer
# 133
05-02-2014, 02:12 PM
I just logged in and am getting non STO music, it's some kind of rock music and I can't turn it off without muting all audio in the game. Anybody else having this issue?
[Insert Clever Signature Here]
Captain
# 134
05-06-2014, 05:28 AM
Since S9 patch now I am getting buzzing and cracking noise, freezing and lag. If I am doing a load-out the game is like 7 clicks behind me. I have been playing 3 years and never had any game issues. The PC I am on is 4 months old and has a $700 video card and 16 gb ram and a 3.8 ivy bridge quad core prossessor so its not for lack of resources. The game is lagging freezing crashing, with constant buzzing and cracking with skipping voices and stuck warp out sound playing over and over. All this started with the S9 patch. Now game is pretty unplayable.
Lieutenant
# 135
05-07-2014, 05:53 PM
Most of my post here is what i posted on another thread related to this issue... I just want to disclose that i did not intend to spam threads with this issue, i simply didn't see this one first.

My problem is losing audio, decreasing samples, audio NOT playing where there should be audio...

For the longest time i have had this issue with STO since before last christmas, i noticed that STO doesn't care what the audio settings are at. If i decrease the volume, exit and run again, STO resets the volume level, regardless of the volume slider setting, my volume keeps getting louder, and i always have to reduce the volume every time i load STO.

Close STO with volume at 50%, launch again and it is reset to 100% even though the slider is at 50%, now i can barely hear anyone in my teamspeak with the STO volume at 4%

Additionally, the worst began with the new feature episode of Season 9, where the narration starring Tuvok, is barely audible, my last run through the mission was a silent movie.

Audio level keeps self adjusting to 100% regardless of in game setting, and audio samples drop in matches with a lot of beams, cannons, and torpedo's being fired.

Would love a recode for the audio! it seems long overdue!

@redsnake721: I too am hearing these crackles and pops, though not the freezing and lag. Although, my crackles and pops have been there since F2P launch in January 2012 (i started in November 2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchetl4d View Post
lol is anyone even reading or caring about this? Searching a bit reveals I m not the only one with sound problems in STO. And now the new season 9 even gives my R9 290 a hard time.
Fascinating, a 290 dual GPU GFX card struggling? I have dual 7850's and 8x AA with no problems, thank you for this heads up though, as now i am not going to upgrade to dual 270X's.
Ensign
# 136
05-15-2014, 08:57 AM
No worries the 290 is a beast. I found the problem it seems that dynamic lightning is causing problems for some users, disabling this and everything else maxed out works fine for me. The 290 is a single GPU card by the way.

I still have the horrible sound blistering noise crap tho.

Last edited by hatchetl4d; 05-15-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Lieutenant
# 137 sound issues
07-12-2014, 10:25 AM
I've noticed that my audio has been having some issues for about the last month. I think it might've began around when the downloading began occurring during the log-out process. Since then my transporting, personal & starship, is iffy & my jetpack on Risa is very muted. Not other NPCs & players but mine. Yes, I have attempted full volume & different audio settings to compensate. I'm not sure if part of my in-game audio settings got resetted or my actual computer's audio got resetted. But, my audio fluctuation began around the same time as the downloading/patching while exiting the game began. It's not detrimental to the game play but definitely noticeable.
Empire Veteran
# 138 Sound Issue/horrid buzzing
07-20-2014, 07:22 AM
Since 9.5 patch I have a horrid buzzing feedback noise when the client is running, all screens including the character choice page... even with all sound off in game and on my system.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going, and hook up with them later.
Lieutenant
# 139 Buggin grating sound
07-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Getting this crazy bugging sound ever so often playing STO..thought it was something to do with the voice chat but checked to see ..ive turned it off? whats the deal with this? Also may not be the place but cant see weapons fire or shields in large population stfs.