Lt. Commander
# 1 Maco?????!!!!??
02-06-2012, 12:05 AM
sooo... i finally got my full MACO XI set on my assault Cruiser today... and... im a little sad.. i was using the Aegis set and had just over 12k shield now with this full set i have 11.2k... my hull is up about 2k but i was disappointed after hearing everyone talk about how this is the best shield in the game and all that i was thinking there was going to be a little more.. i have yet to fight with it, is that when it really shines or was is nerfed that hard??? the omega shield also seemed to have a higher regen... sooo... idk... should i keep my hopes high or just switch back to Aegis and grind for omega??
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-06-2012, 12:56 AM
Still better then the borg shield i think.I went from something like 6800+shield to like 8800+ shields with maco.
FYI im in a gaxay x And a tac captain.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Also the MACO shield was the best shield because of a [CAP] modyfier that was accidentially added to the shield during the revamp of them.

The said [CAP] was removed last week, and the shield is now on par with other shields in game (considering bonus and other interesting stuff).
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-06-2012, 06:51 AM
i'm finding since they fixed the maco shields they feel pretty weak in a STF.Elite run. One hit on my defiant from a standard plasma torp and the shield all but collapses. This is mk xi with 26% shield system console and 35% shield cap console.
Even in a Sovvie with 11,000 shield cap the maco is being cut through far too easily. I found the Aegis lasted a little longer but not by much.
However shields in this game do suck and only give minimal protection.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-06-2012, 07:14 AM
I haven't done any elites with maco but I will confirm that in pvp with a bop the maco shield feels just about right.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-06-2012, 09:50 AM
the shield was unbalanced against everyone else in the game but it was perfect against the borg. You still die alot in elite but the shields lasted longer, now one hit from a torp and they are down.
With the grind you have to do to get them i feel they need to be just a little bit more special then what they are now. End of game gear that has a few nice features but nothing special in perfiormace as a sheild than the aegis or borg are.
Shields in this game are a joke feels more like my ships wrapped in celophane.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Perhaps I am mis-interpreting the intent of this thread, but isn't one of the appeals of the sets the bonuses you get with multiple pieces? So if the shield itself may not be as high in overall capacity or whatnot as others you like, the bonus may be motivation to stick with it anyway.

The damage reduction should still be nice, so since you already bought it you may as well go out and fight with it and see first-hand if that works well enough to motivate using it for you or not.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Shield capacity is not the 'end-all, be-all' of what makes a shield good. Those of you that look solely at capacity are being short-sighted. The shield has a 10% damage reduction. On top of that, it is resilient which means it has 5% absorption. Those alone more than make up for a slight drop in capacity.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-06-2012, 10:56 AM
There has been other discussions abou the 'One shot' wipe out. Just yesterday, before retiring the Big O, in a Elite STF did a Eject Warp Plasma run, over the top of a Cube. It fired it's deadly One shot, while the ship was about to crest the topside.

Full shields--12,000+, full hull--56,000+. This may be a first, but it was survived, yes Survived, but the Hull was down to 13%, forward shield was simply ignored (but was reduced to half or a third of its strength).

On average those Deadly take outs produce dmg around to 80,000+ (or more). The shot is very fast, and nearly invisible. But this is the very One shot I have survived since playing STF venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylematt4 View Post
i'm finding since they fixed the maco shields they feel pretty weak in a STF.Elite run. One hit on my defiant from a standard plasma torp and the shield all but collapses. This is mk xi with 26% shield system console and 35% shield cap console.
Even in a Sovvie with 11,000 shield cap the maco is being cut through far too easily. I found the Aegis lasted a little longer but not by much.
However shields in this game do suck and only give minimal protection.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
Shield capacity is not the 'end-all, be-all' of what makes a shield good. Those of you that look solely at capacity are being short-sighted. The shield has a 10% damage reduction. On top of that, it is resilient which means it has 5% absorption. Those alone more than make up for a slight drop in capacity.
Seconded.

That additional cap bonus added... what, maybe 400-500 shields to your overall number. Thats maybe 3 shots from a phaser, all bonuses considered: another 1 second of shield power. Woohoo.

I still happily use them. The resistance bonuses (25% from Borg Plasma alone....) more than make up for this 'shortfall', and the lack of bleedthrough means I can spend less skills in hull heals, and more in shields.

It's very hard not to like the MACO.