Lt. Commander
# 21
02-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7
Consider a few things regarding the state of the Federation:

1- The Borg have returned, making incursions on Federation territory. With that being said, most of the advance Federation Warships have been called to arm in the Gamma quadrant and to protect the Sol system from the Borg.
Slight problem there. Gamma Orionis is NOT in the Gamma Quadrant, NOR the Delta Quadrant. It's right within Federation territory. Well, was Fed territory, with the Borg over running it and all.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
There are ways it could be folded in. For instance, the Dominion could disavow the 2800 and send us means to fend them off... and they could pledge loyalty to the Iconians.
That's pretty speculative and would represent a major shift in what the priorities of the Dominion forces coming out of the wormhole.

Those priorities topped by #1 being loyalty to the Founders. Course what exactly happened to them in the wormhole isn't clear yet as the trailer seems to allude to the fact that the 2800 were aware of the passage of time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhorovWJL-Q 56 seconds in) and of what transpired during that time. Or it could be a reference to a scene that's played out in a later episode, but it would be an odd exchange of dialogue if it didn't take place right as the 2800 came out of the wormhole.

Could they become allied with the Iconians? Maybe, but I find that unlikely given what we know of the Dominion's strategy when it comes to intergalactic affairs. They seem to employ a policy of brinkmanship, and only when they feel they have a military advantage over their opponent(s) in question.

As for the Iconians...

Unless they've fought a war with the Dominion in the Gamma Quardrant and won, I don't see Dominion forces, anywhere, fighting for the Iconians. So far, the Modus Operandi of the Iconians seems to be hiding in the shadows and playing cloak and dagger games. As has been alluded to, and partially revealed in "Cutting the Cord," the Iconians are responsible for much of the conflict in the Alpha and Beta quardrants as of late.

Is it possible that the Dominion lost a war with the Iconians? Another maybe as we don't know what's been going on in the Gamma Quadrant for the past 35 years since the end of the Dominion War. We do know that the Dominion is a very large entity that has the resources to replace manpower, equipment, and ships fairly quickly as per what we know from the Dominion War.

Course the Iconians seem to be able to appear anywhere, making the idea of conventional 24th/25th century warfare a bit outdated. But if they could truly muster the ability to simply outmatch the Dominion in such a conflict, why would they not have employed such tactics already against the powers of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants? Powers that aren't nearly as able to muster the might that the Dominion is able to.

Unless the Dominion went, or is going through, some sort of decline similar to that of the Roman Empire, I don't see it likely that the Dominion itself, or remnants of it, past or present, would ally themselves with the Iconians.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross82
Who's to say they have not been upgraded over time as well?

... because they haven't had thirty years since they entered the wormhole. The founders redirected them to the current point in time- as far as they're concerned, it's still thirty years ago.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Don't worry. I'm sure Cryptic will just cut and paste the current ships in circulation, stats and all, so it'll be as if we're fighting brand new ships, not the best and brightest of 30 years ago.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-09-2012, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roche_Furman
Slight problem there. Gamma Orionis is NOT in the Gamma Quadrant, NOR the Delta Quadrant. It's right within Federation territory. Well, was Fed territory, with the Borg over running it and all.
Thanks for the correction
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-09-2012, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmGillis View Post
Don't worry. I'm sure Cryptic will just cut and paste the current ships in circulation, stats and all, so it'll be as if we're fighting brand new ships, not the best and brightest of 30 years ago.
Keep in mind that the 'current' ships are bad cardassian knockoffs, and the 'real' Jem-Hadar ships are in the vein of the Christmas Grab-bag Bug with universal boff slots and a very heavy focus on tactical and engineering with next to no science focus.

While that matters less for NPC ships, it probably means we'll see tactical and engineering enemy NPCs, but no sci's (thank god)

Of course, yes, these ships are supposedly thirty years behind, but in all honesty starfleet has been using mark X phasers since TNG movie era, and while there've been obvious improvements across the board, I don't think they're too significant to make the jem-hadar fleet any less threatening.

Something else to think about, but I doubt Starfleet ever really captured any Jemmie bugs to study- that was a major thing during the war remember (they devoted an ep to it), so they've probably only had the past couple months to study the ones popping up.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Yeah well, this whole LOCK-BOX loot/C-Store Key thing has seriously soured my excitement for this new FE. Not to mention any future FE's, cause you know what, this is the way it's gonna be from now on. Lock Boxes and Grab Bags for the really cool stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc_foxtrot View Post
That's pretty speculative and would represent a major shift in what the priorities of the Dominion forces coming out of the wormhole.

Those priorities topped by #1 being loyalty to the Founders. Course what exactly happened to them in the wormhole isn't clear yet as the trailer seems to allude to the fact that the 2800 were aware of the passage of time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhorovWJL-Q 56 seconds in) and of what transpired during that time. Or it could be a reference to a scene that's played out in a later episode, but it would be an odd exchange of dialogue if it didn't take place right as the 2800 came out of the wormhole.

Could they become allied with the Iconians? Maybe, but I find that unlikely given what we know of the Dominion's strategy when it comes to intergalactic affairs. They seem to employ a policy of brinkmanship, and only when they feel they have a military advantage over their opponent(s) in question.

As for the Iconians...

Unless they've fought a war with the Dominion in the Gamma Quardrant and won, I don't see Dominion forces, anywhere, fighting for the Iconians. So far, the Modus Operandi of the Iconians seems to be hiding in the shadows and playing cloak and dagger games. As has been alluded to, and partially revealed in "Cutting the Cord," the Iconians are responsible for much of the conflict in the Alpha and Beta quardrants as of late.

Is it possible that the Dominion lost a war with the Iconians? Another maybe as we don't know what's been going on in the Gamma Quadrant for the past 35 years since the end of the Dominion War. We do know that the Dominion is a very large entity that has the resources to replace manpower, equipment, and ships fairly quickly as per what we know from the Dominion War.

Course the Iconians seem to be able to appear anywhere, making the idea of conventional 24th/25th century warfare a bit outdated. But if they could truly muster the ability to simply outmatch the Dominion in such a conflict, why would they not have employed such tactics already against the powers of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants? Powers that aren't nearly as able to muster the might that the Dominion is able to.

Unless the Dominion went, or is going through, some sort of decline similar to that of the Roman Empire, I don't see it likely that the Dominion itself, or remnants of it, past or present, would ally themselves with the Iconians.
I can't see where the 2800 would be allied with the Dominion, who have stated their desire for peace and isolation, and with Odo in a leadership role.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-09-2012, 01:01 AM
<Pragmatic_Cap>

Do they have a chance?

Of course not. Because D'Angelo asked CBS if they were allowed to actually blow up DS9, and got slapped in the face for even suggesting it. :p

</Pragmatic_Cap>

...But story wise, I suppose there is a question of the Federation's current defence posture, which is stretched out not only fighting the Klingons, but also the Borg.

2,800 ships, outdated or not, could do a lot of damage before they were eventually stopped, potentially buying even enough time for the Dominion to send reinforcements through. (assuming the Dominion is aware of, or even approve of what is about to transpire.)
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-09-2012, 02:32 AM
2800 would not stand a chance againts all the major powers united.

thing is all the major powers have been killing each other for the past few years, while fending off the borg, the undine and what ever else.