Lt. Commander
# 21
02-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptAhaab
I use an extra TAC BO. I just find the 2 tac BOS with the mix of abilites I want and that dont share cool downs and it works for me. I stack purple tac consoles too. I feel like I have a good mix of damage and survivability. but hey I love the Assault Cruiser too but I like the extra TAC BO now. Enemies seem to pop faster a little faster for me now. I only use Science to heal systems and repel tractors. Engineering is dedicated to Healing hull with 1 ability to boost weapons power. I am sure my goals are different then yours.
I don't know. After reading that, I just feel like your assault cruiser might not have been built properly prior to the Odyssey taking center stage for you.

I'm not really dissing the Odyssey, but as a tactical slanted ship, it's just not the best use of a cruiser.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I don't know. After reading that, I just feel like your assault cruiser might not have been built properly prior to the Odyssey taking center stage for you.

I'm not really dissing the Odyssey, but as a tactical slanted ship, it's just not the best use of a cruiser.
+1

The lack of a tac console + awful turn rate kill its DPS imho.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Glad you found it. I am a TAC officer and I finally have a replacement for my Assault cruiser. I am very happy with the Odyssey.
I basically adapted most of my Assault Cruiser BOffs to the Odyssey, minus the swap of the Ensign from Tactical to Science, and I haven't been too disappointed.

It does take a beating, but I will say it doesn't quite match the damage output performance of the Assault Cruiser at the Elite level. That Ensign station cost me Beam Overload in favor of Polarize Hull Plating and I've actually failed a couple dailies because it doesn't quite pack the punch the assault cruiser allowed for. I have considered changing my LCDR slot to a tactical officer, but that would require a complete rethink in how I play the Odyssey, since I'd be giving up a slew of tanking abilities.

The potential is there, though, it's just on me to learn the best way to fly her, and maybe I do need to rethink how I have my abilities laid out.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-09-2012, 07:00 AM
I liken the odyssey to a whale that has beached itself flapping wildly to get back into the sea :p
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-09-2012, 07:05 AM
I would pay to get my Avenger Star Cruiser the same BO layout.

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Dont think so. "Properly built" says that there is only one way to play the game. As I said I play the game differently then you and have different goals. As I said it works for me.

Quote:

Lt. Commander
# 27
02-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jounar View Post
+1

The lack of a tac console + awful turn rate kill its DPS imho.
The Tac console only adds about 10% to DPS while the turn rate can be mitigated to a large extent with powers and weapon load out. Obviously it won't put quite as much DPS out as a assault cruiser, but claiming those two factors kill it's DPS is a bit far fetched.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Dont think so. "Properly built" says that there is only one way to play the game. As I said I play the game differently then you and have different goals. As I said it works for me.
I guess. But you don't seem to be harnessing your Assault Cruiser for DPS maximization. So that would definitely be a different goal. I'm glad it works for you, but in the context of the conversation about the Odyssey, I feel that you're not seeing as large a performance dip simply because your different approach to the build of the assault cruiser includes a different build that didn't tap into the strengths of the ship's design?

Like I said, I don't know. You make a point about nit picking the use of my phrase properly built. And I can concede that. But then again I could say the reverse is true, and that you're eschewing the strengths of the ship and thus that's why you're having the experience you're having with the ship.

The Odyssey is an interesting ship. I'll give it that. But it doesn't play well into a tactical layout since that doesn't harness the things the ship does well. That Lt. Commander Universal slot can give you more tactical options. For sure. But as we've seen with the ongoing Sovy vs. Excelsior debate ... that's not all that convincing.

But we have seen the math on the extra tactical console. It's a pretty concrete difference.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Fair enough bro. What is your average DPS in the Assault Cruiser? I would like so see it and look at tweeking my un orthodox loadout. This is not an arguement with you I am generally interested in the numbers it may help me improve even with my un orthodox approach.

Quote:
I guess. But you don't seem to be harnessing your Assault Cruiser for DPS maximization. So that would definitely be a different goal. I'm glad it works for you, but in the context of the conversation about the Odyssey, I feel that you're not seeing as large a performance dip simply because your different approach to the build of the assault cruiser includes a different build that didn't tap into the strengths of the ship's design?

Like I said, I don't know. You make a point about nit picking the use of my phrase properly built. And I can concede that. But then again I could say the reverse is true, and that you're eschewing the strengths of the ship and thus that's why you're having the experience you're having with the ship.

The Odyssey is an interesting ship. I'll give it that. But it doesn't play well into a tactical layout since that doesn't harness the things the ship does well. That Lt. Commander Universal slot can give you more tactical options. For sure. But as we've seen with the ongoing Sovy vs. Excelsior debate ... that's not all that convincing.

But we have seen the math on the extra tactical console. It's a pretty concrete difference.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Is the Odyssey Anything Special?
No.

However, it's a pretty ship and likely able to withstand more punishment than any other ship I've seen.