Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
http://gamepolitics.com/2011/09/22/s...-mmo%E2%80%99s

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/09...korean-mmo-ga/

South Korean MMO makers are under the Game Rating Board's microscope for allegedly obstructing an investigation related to MMORPG gambling.

Sure is in South Korea but it involves some large gaming comanies and it can come over to american courts when games are released here aswell, as seen by NCSoft vs TERA.

These grab bags / box's are basically casino grab bags in MMO's, they are gambling and there for gambling income. The old argument of but you know what your getting from a list of things is rubbish, you know that in a casino too, it's still gambling.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Why was this moved to 10F?

But yeah....this hits the nail on the head.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS-Tiberius
http://gamepolitics.com/2011/09/22/s...-mmo%E2%80%99s

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/09...korean-mmo-ga/

South Korean MMO makers are under the Game Rating Board's microscope for allegedly obstructing an investigation related to MMORPG gambling.

Sure is in South Korea but it involves some large gaming comanies and it can come over to american courts when games are released here aswell, as seen by NCSoft vs TERA.

These grab bags / box's are basically casino grab bags in MMO's, they are gambling and there for gambling income. The old argument of but you know what your getting from a list of things is rubbish, you know that in a casino too, it's sill gambling.
Again it not gambling per se - because in Casino gambling you have the real chance of willing nothing. These boxes give you something 100% of the time - and (on paper) EVERY reward they give is of higher value (in the C-Store) then the 100 CP key. Ergo, technically , not real gambling.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
Why was this moved to 10F?

But yeah....this hits the nail on the head.
To get it off the front page of the main board, one would presume.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-09-2012, 10:56 AM
its not the gambling we want, its that nice shiny starship we want, but cryptic is like "lol you don't want to buy a nice shiny ship, you want a CHANCE to win a nice shiny starship by giving us small amounts of money in bulk"... I feel so disillusioned now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Again it not gambling per se - because in Casino gambling you have the real chance of willing nothing. These boxes give you something 100% of the time - and (on paper) EVERY reward they give is of higher value (in the C-Store) then the 100 CP key. Ergo, technically , not real gambling.
Any time you play a game of chance, using real money (or things directly worth real money), it is gambling.

Also, if certain outcomes are more desirable than others, and thus produce a gambling behavior and mindset, the arbitrary prices that Cryptic sets for the rewards are irrelevant. That's not even taking into account that the most desirable outcome is one which cannot be directly purchased.

It's only a matter of time (in the USA, at any rate) before there's a slow news day and the media decides to run a story about people whose lives are ruined by this unregulated online gambling. I know, that kind of thing only happens in extreme fringe cases, but all it takes is one overblown national story to give legislators ideas.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-09-2012, 11:25 AM
If you don't want to gamble, then don't?
I don't like egg nog, but I don't want to forbid others from drinking it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Yesterday, 20000 dilithium was the equivalent price of a master key. No real money used! However, I suspect it may go higher when people will be selling their dilithium... starting today.

But I admit I'm still a little uncomfortable with the formula. Yes the master key is worth less than the actual content, but I've got no use for a second sehlat cub...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magitek View Post
Any time you play a game of chance, using real money (or things directly worth real money), it is gambling.

Also, if certain outcomes are more desirable than others, and thus produce a gambling behavior and mindset, the arbitrary prices that Cryptic sets for the rewards are irrelevant. That's not even taking into account that the most desirable outcome is one which cannot be directly purchased.

It's only a matter of time (in the USA, at any rate) before there's a slow news day and the media decides to run a story about people whose lives are ruined by this unregulated online gambling. I know, that kind of thing only happens in extreme fringe cases, but all it takes is one overblown national story to give legislators ideas.
Then, by that logic, McDonalds is a gambling establishment because anytime you buy a happy meal for your child, it's gambling as you don't know what toy will come in the box (and a lot of folks DO collect these things.)

^^^
IE - at worst, the current Cryoptic grab bag setup is about as bad as this. Which is probably why the ATF isn't raiding their offices atm.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS-Tiberius
http://gamepolitics.com/2011/09/22/s...-mmo%E2%80%99s

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/09...korean-mmo-ga/

South Korean MMO makers are under the Game Rating Board's microscope for allegedly obstructing an investigation related to MMORPG gambling.

Sure is in South Korea but it involves some large gaming comanies and it can come over to american courts when games are released here aswell, as seen by NCSoft vs TERA.

These grab bags / box's are basically casino grab bags in MMO's, they are gambling and there for gambling income. The old argument of but you know what your getting from a list of things is rubbish, you know that in a casino too, it's sill gambling.
Something's wrong with those links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:16 AM.