Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Now I don't know what to call that enormous long cylinder that appears as the map boss. That Unimatrix zero zero one something or another. I just call it the Borg Mothership.

We all know there is a blind spot in the weapons coverage just under the central spires. You can park a whole task force of Dreadnaughts and battlecruisers there and just blaze away until the silly Borg give up and explode.

In earlier versions you actually have to work to max shields and weapons and sit there tanking fire from tractor probes and whatnot, but in the current version of STO, you can one-shot kill the Mothership.

Here's how:

1. Go right into the blind spot. Stop the ship. Radio friendly ships to come join the party in the blind spot.

2. Fire everything you got! JJ Trek style!

3. Eventually you will attract aggro, so switch to full defensive mode. That means EPTS, TT, RSP, etc.

4. Wait for the HUGE torpedo to come at you. Watch that pallor of dread builds on your face (if you have a mirror) as the room fills with a radioactive green glow. Death looms...
5.The torpedo hits you.... and the Mothership disintegrates itself.

That's how I win Red Alerts with my puny Fleet Escort, which last night actually out-tanked the gigantic torpedo somehow. I kept my shields up with RSP, TT and EPTS plus a huge battery but the bombardment with the probes all around caused so much bleedthrough (despite MACO shields) that my hull dropped to 45% eventually.

Then the giant torpedo hit and all hell broke loose. My screen was filled with explosions, debris and my subwoofer rumbled so much the house would probably crumble too. But then I was alive!

The other Federation ships gawked as a tiny fleet escort emerged from the disintegrating wreckage... like a boss.

Dammit, why didn't I have demorecord on! But this is not my first time one-shotting the damn Mothership, and I might have an earlier recording... or I can prowl the sectors on Labour Day vacation and see if I can repeat this feat of David vs Goliath!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
04-30-2012, 03:19 AM
My Brother in Law does something similar...except he parks right in front of the Borg Command Ship and taunts it until (insert number) of Ten decides to disintegrate him....and kill themselves.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
04-30-2012, 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara

We all know there is a blind spot in the weapons coverage just under the central spires. You can park a whole task force of Dreadnaughts and battlecruisers there and just blaze away until the silly Borg give up and explode.
Wow, thanks for the info, i had no idea that blind spot existed, i wondered why some peeps hang around really close to the middle of the huge Borg mother ship (Good name for it by the way) i thought to my self . . keep your distance people . . are you crazy . . lol.

Even though i don't do too badly against the borg, at least now i know where to go when that big beast turns up, because those massive torpedo thingies it spews out really give me a hard time and couldn't understand how others weren't getting hit by them . . well now i know . . lol.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
04-30-2012, 04:52 AM
I've never managed to get the Borg mothership to, essentially, commit suicide in the manner described in the OP, though have sat in the aforementioned blind spot on many an occasion.

Always have to remember to either A: Run like hell or B: activate my intrepid class' Ablative Armor when the ship is about to go 'boom'!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
04-30-2012, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01
I've never managed to get the Borg mothership to, essentially, commit suicide in the manner described in the OP, though have sat in the aforementioned blind spot on many an occasion.

Always have to remember to either A: Run like hell or B: activate my intrepid class' Ablative Armor when the ship is about to go 'boom'!
You have ablative armor? Excellent!

Here's a new trick for you to try that will be guaranteed to detonate the Mothership.

Attack Pattern: Plug the Sink

Fly your ship right into the front or back end and just use your ship to plug the hole where the torpedo comes out from. If you can activate your armor at precisely the right time...

For added fun get your friend to go around the other side and plug both holes together . I guarantee you the mothership would burst at the seams pretty quick!



Credits - someone from the TFR fleet. Ask @TFR_MACO_Specialist for facebook proof lol.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
04-30-2012, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara
You have ablative armor? Excellent!

Here's a new trick for you to try that will be guaranteed to detonate the Mothership.

Attack Pattern: Plug the Sink

Fly your ship right into the front or back end and just use your ship to plug the hole where the torpedo comes out from. If you can activate your armor at precisely the right time...

For added fun get your friend to go around the other side and plug both holes together . I guarantee you the mothership would burst at the seams pretty quick!



Credits - someone from the TFR fleet. Ask @TFR_MACO_Specialist for facebook proof lol.
Nice - will have to give that a try! Thanks!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
04-30-2012, 07:35 AM
Operation plug the sink sounds awesome.


I've flown around the spires blasting away before, as although I didn't know it was a proper blind spot, I noticed weapons fire seemed less there. But I never parked because it was never a true blind spot. I still got targeted by the mothership. And little drones still kept coming. Of course, when the big ball of death comes floating at me, I hit evasive manouvers and punch it, just trying to get out of there, blasting the damn thing with full phasers, hoping against hope I can just shoot it down before it one shot me.


I'll have to try this technique next time I'm in one.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
04-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Sink plug works a treat. I've been doing it for months and letting people know about in game chat but no one listens to me until they actually see the kind of damage the plasma ball splash damage will do to bger.

And most of you wonder what on earth was used to cause a sudden 40% drop in it's hull integrity? Well now you know!

But please don't flag this as a bug pleaaaase....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
04-30-2012, 06:42 PM
This works well against any OP npc HY torpedo attack. Like the ones in STFs
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
05-01-2012, 02:50 AM
Tried the suicide by giant torpedo trick last night. Worked a treat. 4 explosions later, the thing went up like a Kam'Jahtae Vanguard Spine ship.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:50 AM.