Lt. Commander
# 111
08-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rextrek View Post
Dammm I can't wait....signed up to Lifetime membership to be elligable for STO Beta...... when? when? Im anxious! Lifetime membership deal..was that JUST for Champions On line or STO too? I hope both...as it cost me $200 rextrek1@aol.com
You bought a life time subscription to Champions Online. It does not include STO. If you don't like that then you should have thought about that before spending the money. Just saying.

I love the screenshot and I'm anxious for STO beta too. Enjoying CO very much in the mean time
Lt. Commander
# 112
08-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the screen cap, Cryptic. I have to ask something that wasn't brought up in this thread yet (I searched each page for it)...

Where are the shadows?

It looks like the characters are so of floating there, especially with that glow around one. I know we're looking at even pre-Closed Beta stuff, but still, it would be nice to see what sort of shadows we could get with the engine. I know it's DX9 based, and truly good shadows are a DX10+ features, but it would be nice to have something to help us ground our characters and see shadows cast by suns from one ship to another.

(and the tables don't have "shadows"... they have blob shadows under them)

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 113
08-31-2009, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Good suggestion! I agree with this wholeheartedly. I'm not sure why this hasn't already been implemented. Why don't we just stop with the Kob-Marus and just do something different? The submission thing is a good idea and we'd all like to see more general info. Decent pics would be nice with proper descriptions instead of half shots with vague descriptions or no descriptions and we're all sitting around discussing what the hell it is. LISTEN TO US CRYPTIC!!!

1....2......3.....aaaaannnnnnnd....FLAME!
Nice to see someone who agrees. Anyone else? C'mon...how is this a bad suggestion (you can tell us, like NyQuil said, flame away)? I enjoyed the Marus in the beginning but really, how many times can you write a response to "the gorn are attacking a Klingon outpost but you need to deliver medical supplies to a planetoid three hours in the other direction"? Hey, Rekhan, can we at least get kudos for trying?
Lt. Commander
# 114
08-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezori View Post
Nice graphics, of course, but seems like a pretty confusing screenshot to me. After all they don't come with any written info so seeing a random, oddly sized hologram in what i assumed was a canteen(?) isn't the best reflection of things to come.
I know. It makes no sense. I LIKE the foreground, the background is completely random.
Lt. Commander
# 115
08-31-2009, 04:10 PM
Like the hologram of the Akira Class Star Ship.
Lt. Commander
# 116
08-31-2009, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Thanks for the screen cap, Cryptic. I have to ask something that wasn't brought up in this thread yet (I searched each page for it)...

Where are the shadows?

It looks like the characters are so of floating there, especially with that glow around one. I know we're looking at even pre-Closed Beta stuff, but still, it would be nice to see what sort of shadows we could get with the engine. I know it's DX9 based, and truly good shadows are a DX10+ features, but it would be nice to have something to help us ground our characters and see shadows cast by suns from one ship to another.

(and the tables don't have "shadows"... they have blob shadows under them)

Thanks.
While you are right, I'd like to point out that rarely did we ever see substantial shadows in the shows because of the extensive lighting. There were vague ones, of course, but not dark usually. For all we know, those two officers are standing under a massive lamp.
Lt. Commander
# 117
08-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT_IS_GREEN View Post
While you are right, I'd like to point out that rarely did we ever see substantial shadows in the shows because of the extensive lighting. There were vague ones, of course, but not dark usually. For all we know, those two officers are standing under a massive lamp.
If you're talking about TNG, I agree. However, DS9 and Voyager were much darker with shadows everywhere.

Regardless of that argument, shadows are essential to any MMO, RPG, or 3D game for that matter. Perhaps they had shadows disabled for this screen cap? Or perhaps they haven't fine tuned them yet?
Lt. Commander
# 118
09-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
If you're talking about TNG, I agree. However, DS9 and Voyager were much darker with shadows everywhere.

Regardless of that argument, shadows are essential to any MMO, RPG, or 3D game for that matter. Perhaps they had shadows disabled for this screen cap? Or perhaps they haven't fine tuned them yet?
They probably haven't fine-tuned them. This is not one of their better pictures.
Lt. Commander
# 119
09-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Awesome picture!
Closed Thread