Lieutenant
With the increase of duplicate item slots from sets and other items will there be a release of ships with dual warp core or other items slots. I think this would go very well on ships like the Advanced obelisk. It probably should already be on it. It would make a nice bit of customizability to current ships if allowed to be upgraded to or already present. Heck it could be a thing you work towards and some ships can have double of certain slots that can be unlocked. Especially with the double warp cores for the obelisk in the sets I see no reason the ship should not hold both sets. The addition could completely remake some aspect of the game with ship having various double sheilds or engines or warp cores. And, if I'm not mistaken, It's already missing from ships currently in the game that had them in the ficition, is it not?!

On top of it, the engine, warp core, sheilds, deflector slots do not do as much if doubled. So it's not as big of an impact on the game. It just brings out ships unique abilities. Sheilds might be a slightly bigger deal but I don't see much. An addative bonus or a double bonus would not be as big of a deal. Maybe, double sets might add more bonus if they are combined but that could always be offset by smarter enemies or better damage sets or team work. Or just proper restrictions to which ships can have it.

I think it would definelty start giving ships more character. and make it more interesting to find ways to take them down, etc. It would also start allowing ships to have more power without as much worry. Or more abilities.

Last edited by aftulus; 11-19-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Captain
# 2
11-19-2013, 08:08 AM
This is not going to do what you think it will.
Lieutenant
# 3
11-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Please elaborate?!

It would add more customability for science skills and set stacking plus allow some ships to have more power/characteristic shields, engine, warp core, deflector setups.

I think the atrox should get a dual deflector. Though I coudl be wrong. Alot of ships would benefit from this very heavily. And it would give htem all more custom potential playstyles. It could be very useful!

Small ships with dual engines could benefit. Some ships could definetly fit the double sheilds. Can't remember which type of ship and which ones had it in the fiction though. They are all pretty useful. Allowing various extra benefits to whatever ship can hold them in whatever combo. the more powerful rare ships could be more likely to have more than one also. Depending on ship orientation and design. Or however many is appropriate to give per ship. I would imagine it would be pretty specific per type/race/model of ship and not whether it is of whatever level of ship. Race and other ships would each have more customization and character on them also. It would open up whole avenues to the game. And alot more reason to get specific ships.

Weren't there dual warp core and other designs going back to the original star trek series?

Last edited by aftulus; 11-19-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Captain
# 4
11-19-2013, 08:19 AM
STO's space combat is extremely tightly tuned. Even minute changes can have significant balance ramifications. And what you're proposing aren't minute changes.

I won't argue that STO doesn't have first and second rate ships, but by giving select ships access to double engines, warp cores or shields you're going to create a functionality gap that makes the present imbalances meaningless.

Finally, canon should not be your guide for game balance. If it were, my Akira would have 15-17 torpedo launchers on top of 10-14 other weapon slots for beams, the equivalent of 7 hangars worth of strike craft, and shields and hull on par with Sovereign class ships. In other words, complete and utter hilarity to STO's balance equation.
Lieutenant
# 5
11-19-2013, 08:20 AM
well then they can change other aspects of the game IF and when needed(That is implied).... In case you aren't aware they have already do this and continue to do this as they add new stuff. They just rebalance it through various means. Just because you think it's balance doesn't mean they can't make room for new things. Sorry but I understand what it does. Try being less presumptuous and less condescending. You would be more productive in a thread. As of now you have added nothing of value to it.
Captain
# 6
11-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftulus View Post
well then they can change other aspects of the game IF and when needed(That is implied).... In case you aren't aware they have already do this and continue to do this as they add new stuff. They just rebalance it through various means. Just because you think it's balance doesn't mean they can't make room for new things. Sorry but I understand what it does. Try being less presumptuous and less condescending. You would be more productive in a thread. As of now you have added nothing of value to it.
All you've said is "let's slap on extra components". You've done nothing at all to address the massive balancing concerns those additions present.

How exactly do you plan on balancing ships having shield capacities in the 20-30k range and can hit the shield resist cap in the space of 5 seconds of directed fire?
How do you plan on balancing ships having permanent speeds into the 100s with turn rates of 40-80 without any external power interactions?
How do you plan on balancing ships with access to two [AMP], or [AMP] plus additional drain resists, or double drain resistances?

Those are just the obvious big issues I can think of in about five minutes. I'm sure once people start digging down into the statistical hilarity that will ensue with doubled up pieces they're going to find even more concerns that have the potential to divide ships into "haves" and "have nots".

As for being condescending and defensive, I'm not the one flipping out when my idea is challenged. I've presented you with facts. You're the one going on a rampage because those facts don't support your demands.
Lieutenant
# 7
11-19-2013, 08:37 AM
I don't plan on balancing anything. This is a discussion. I"m just stating it would be nice and noting some of the obvious benefits. I plan on balancing it by leaving it up to the devs... Get a clue! I do not need to do so... If you want to discuss that why don't YOU discuss it specifically. But remember there can always be a work around to make it work. That is why I'm leaving it to the devs who know all the game data and math(Which is implied!!). They already do balanced that are about that complicated. And most of those bonuses are not that strong or hard to figure out. It is their job and if they want it they will figure it out! That is how game design works.... So I don't care. I'm not proposing any one form of implementation and I'm not going to. Just the existance of it and it's consideration in the game. They are already probably going to add it at somepoint anyway. Stop taking the discussion so simply!

And I'm not flipping out. You are annoying becuase you cannot think out simple things in a discussion.

And as I said every concern you can possibly bring up can be worked around. Don't go into an argument by trying to finish it by saying it's impossible. If you want to do that go bother someone else. I don't care if you don't think it can happen. It an always be implemented.

There, sadly, appears to be no ignore ability in this forum.

Last edited by aftulus; 11-19-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Captain
# 8
11-19-2013, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftulus View Post
Stop taking it so simply!
Coming from someone arguing that they don't need to present facts and support for their idea, who is incapable of addressing specific concerns about said idea, and flat out states that they don't want to balance the idea, that's just adorable.

When you're ready to present and defend an idea with something more than "doncha worry, the Dev's will fix it later!", or even take criticism of your concepts let me know.
Captain
# 9
11-19-2013, 09:07 AM
The only way to do this and maintain balance is to reduce the effectiveness of all relevant gear by at least 1 third. In short, no, this will not happen, at all, ever.
Career Officer
# 10
11-19-2013, 09:53 AM
This suggestion is, to me, the very definition of power creep.
Exploding in a massive ball of fire and wreckage since 2012.