Lt. Commander
# 21
03-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Hey Nag, I'd love to get your advice on the puzzle, if you have time. I feel conflicted about it. On the one hand, I want to give players a "Eureka!" moment. And, some of my reviews say that it's the greatest puzzle in the game and their fav part of the mission.
I'll try to take some time to check out your mission after I get Atlas Affair part 2 done. I'll let you know what I think then.
Lt. Commander
# 22 Helna Doff
03-07-2012, 05:29 AM
I played this and really enjoyed this mission.

One cool thing that happened just by coincidence is that when I finished the mission, I checked my Doff tab, and I had just finished the Arucanis Arm Renown, giving me Helna as doff. It was like recieving anither mission reward.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo62 View Post
I played this and really enjoyed this mission.

One cool thing that happened just by coincidence is that when I finished the mission, I checked my Doff tab, and I had just finished the Arucanis Arm Renown, giving me Helna as doff. It was like recieving anither mission reward.
Awesome!

/10chars
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-07-2012, 06:20 PM
I've actually been giving your puzzle a lot of thought because it's precisely the sort of puzzle that I think this game needs more of. Just to put all my biases on the table, one of my favorite games of all time was Myst, and it was frustrating sometimes and I sometimes hated it. But I felt like I really discovered and accomplished something when I solved a puzzle, and that's what I'd like to feel in this game. It feels more authentically Trek.

Here's an idea. I'll hide it in case it contains any spoilers:

Maybe you could do something like this, instead of letting someone bypass the puzzle completely. Make them take a guess. That could trigger a new button where they get a piece of advice from the P'taki--maybe something about reading between the lines. When the player goes back and looks at the pillars (at P'taki's insistence, maybe) you could have a different set of dialogue boxes where, say, the numbers are highlighted. If that doesn't work, you could have a third round, where the numbers and the passages that indicate substance are highlighted.

Anyway, that's just off the top of my head.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygod_itsfullofstars
I've actually been giving your puzzle a lot of thought because it's precisely the sort of puzzle that I think this game needs more of. Just to put all my biases on the table, one of my favorite games of all time was Myst, and it was frustrating sometimes and I sometimes hated it. But I felt like I really discovered and accomplished something when I solved a puzzle, and that's what I'd like to feel in this game. It feels more authentically Trek.

Here's an idea. I'll hide it in case it contains any spoilers:

Maybe you could do something like this, instead of letting someone bypass the puzzle completely. Make them take a guess. That could trigger a new button where they get a piece of advice from the P'taki--maybe something about reading between the lines. When the player goes back and looks at the pillars (at P'taki's insistence, maybe) you could have a different set of dialogue boxes where, say, the numbers are highlighted. If that doesn't work, you could have a third round, where the numbers and the passages that indicate substance are highlighted.

Anyway, that's just off the top of my head.

That's a great idea, My God. But those dialogues are default texts from npcs hidden inside the pillar. I don't think it's possible to change the dialogues like that. Is it?
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-08-2012, 01:54 AM
Kirkfat - yeah. It's not possible to use Talk to NPC objective dialogs to trigger button state changes in amy type of dialog let alone NPC default text.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-08-2012, 04:01 AM
Honestly I think you're all rethinking this puzzle way too much and missing the obvious ans simplest way to make it more "puzzle village idiot" friendly. You have a professor right at the temple with you that is supposed to be an expert on this whole thing, why not just better utilize him?

I haven't had the chance to try out the foundry yet so I'm not sure how the npc text is, but couldn't you make it where the player has to examine the pillars and can then go to the professor and have the professor give a shortened explanation for the story the pillars are talking about? If you can force the player to examine the pillars first then you could still have a dialogue option with the professor and still have him give a more detailed telling of the story.

I think having all the separate bits from the pillars put together into a mini story would still give the players that Eureka! moment, but just add that bit of extra "oh duh!" hint to the overall puzzle for people that need the extra help.

Simply having the professor say he doesn't think the directions are that important just seems like it would take away from the puzzle overall.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-08-2012, 05:12 AM
The previous suggestion is a good one, and one I was thinking about last night.

I'd still have the player guess at the solution once. Doing so could trigger a button in conversation with P'taki that was a request for more indepth help. That could open up a dialogue tree where he repeats the inscriptions on the pillars with certain bits highlighted. You could even have two sets rehashing the inscriptions--one with one piece of info highlighted and another (that appears after a second guess) with two.

Hopefully that makes sense.

One other option--this would be immersion breaking but it should work. You could have multiple NPCs in the pillars. One would be explicitly labeled "hard," the other "medium," the third "easy." The first would be the inscription straight. The second would be with one thing highlighted. The third would be with two things highlighted.

Of course, none of this would be a problem is you could just despawn NPCs.