Lt. Commander
Hi everyone

This is my first venture into the world of MMORPG's and I first of all want to say how much I am enjoying the game. It's great. The graphics, gameplay and missions so far have been excellent and there seems to be so much to do and learn I can see me playing this game for a very loing time to come.

However I have some questions that only a noob would ask so here I go lol

1. I don't seem to have many credits or currency and I am getting worried I may be left behind with poor equipment and a rubbish ship. Is there a way to make lots of money or is it just because I have only just started?

2. Crew members. I have three now one for each slot in my ship and I am levelling their skills when I can but there are upgrade paths that are greyed out (same with my character). When or how do I go about upgrading these paths?

3. With my squad in general is there anything I need to know about leveling them is there a good way of using them in terms of abilities and ranking them etc

4. Does the difficulty make any difference to XP earnt. During the very vague tutorial on difficulty all I was told is that if you increase the slider the difficulty increases. Well durr lol of course it does but does it make a difference to credits, XP and equipment earnt etc

5. Is my ship just slow or am I doing something wrong? Other people seem to szoom through the galazies with weird special vortexes and things where as I seem to pootle along taking ages to get anywhere (well not ages but you know what I mean). Also is there a way to fast track between different sectors or do I really have to travel all the way from one side to the other just to get to an adjacent sector?

6. There is a mission at spaceport 24 that always seems to be on my to do list even though I know I have done it. Is this normal?

7. There seems to be an overwhelming amount of missions from the admiral at the main spacestation and from everyone I have met. Will these diosappear if I dont accepot them or can I accept them at my own leasure and play them when I want?

I think that's it for now haha

Sorry for the wall of text and questions haha

Peace out people
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANN1H1LAT0R
Hi everyone

This is my first venture into the world of MMORPG's and I first of all want to say how much I am enjoying the game. It's great. The graphics, gameplay and missions so far have been excellent and there seems to be so much to do and learn I can see me playing this game for a very loing time to come.

However I have some questions that only a noob would ask so here I go lol

1. I don't seem to have many credits or currency and I am getting worried I may be left behind with poor equipment and a rubbish ship. Is there a way to make lots of money or is it just because I have only just started?

2. Crew members. I have three now one for each slot in my ship and I am levelling their skills when I can but there are upgrade paths that are greyed out (same with my character). When or how do I go about upgrading these paths?

3. With my squad in general is there anything I need to know about leveling them is there a good way of using them in terms of abilities and ranking them etc

4. Does the difficulty make any difference to XP earnt. During the very vague tutorial on difficulty all I was told is that if you increase the slider the difficulty increases. Well durr lol of course it does but does it make a difference to credits, XP and equipment earnt etc

5. Is my ship just slow or am I doing something wrong? Other people seem to szoom through the galazies with weird special vortexes and things where as I seem to pootle along taking ages to get anywhere (well not ages but you know what I mean). Also is there a way to fast track between different sectors or do I really have to travel all the way from one side to the other just to get to an adjacent sector?

6. There is a mission at spaceport 24 that always seems to be on my to do list even though I know I have done it. Is this normal?

7. There seems to be an overwhelming amount of missions from the admiral at the main spacestation and from everyone I have met. Will these diosappear if I dont accepot them or can I accept them at my own leasure and play them when I want?

I think that's it for now haha

Sorry for the wall of text and questions haha

Peace out people
Howdy, I'll try answer these...

1:- It is hard to make energy credits early on, a good way is to scan data samples and sell them over the exchange. However, you will be assigned a free new ship when you qualify and many many missions offer decent equipment to use whilst you level up.

2:- These paths are probably rank issues. You must be a required rank to learn and use skills, same for your bridge officers. You may advance their rank but only if you are a rank above them. Early on, you needn't worry about this. Spend your skills however you see fit for now, but at every rank you gain a free token to totally reskill your character, my advice is to save these up for when you know what you want and need.

3:- Look on these forums for specific builds for yourself and your officers. There are many depending on what you want to do.

4:- You get better loot apparently. Other than that, I dont think you get extra xp or anything.

5:- The higher your rank, the better the ship you can command. Better ships go faster. That weired vortex is something you get when your a Vice Admiral.

6:- You can redo many missions, Starbase 24 is a fleet action I think and you can do it over and over. To replay any mission, goto your bridge and find your ready room. Use the computer on your desk.

7:- Take them whenever you wish. However most will give you the same rewards no matter on your level. So their reward will become less..... rewarding
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Mission rewards don't include credits. You get them from selling drops. You can get equipment appropriate for your level by running the exploration missions. Either farm the anomalies and make gear at memory alpha or turn in the exploration tokens for gear in the shipyard at Earth Spacedock.

Quote:
Those skills will become upgradeable once you promote your bridge officers. In their status panel there is an option to promote them. Your character has to be at least one rank higher than the promotion level would make them. Once they are at the appropriate rank that skill is usable.

Quote:
I've taken to specializing my crew so each one has a specific function rather than a broad range of skills in ground combat. For example my science officer only has healing powers and one of my engineers is all about shield repair. This will largely be up to you and your play style, I've seen vids where the away team is nothing but fabrication engineers making phaser turrets.

Quote:
The slider should effect the drops you receive in some cases. I haven't used it very much as my main character was max level when that feature was introduced.

Quote:
Your ship will increase in speed slightly as you rank up. The vortex you are seeing is the quantum slipstream drive unlocked by being a high level character. Keep playing and you'll get it too. The only way to bypass the constant zoning when trying to get from one end of the map to the other is to use the transwarp drive on the Excelsior. It has a transwarp power to get to all sector blocks in the game but can have the Star Trek III failure that will still trip the global cooldown on all transwarp powers as though you had used them.

Quote:
Have you contacted the contact to turn the mission in yet?

Quote:
You can pick these up and do them at any time. Until they remaseter the episodes they won't scale to your level so they will be fairly easy if you level up enough.

Hope this helps you out some.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elad_PenDragon View Post
Howdy, I'll try answer these...

1:- It is hard to make energy credits early on, a good way is to scan data samples and sell them over the exchange. However, you will be assigned a free new ship when you qualify and many many missions offer decent equipment to use whilst you level up.

2:- These paths are probably rank issues. You must be a required rank to learn and use skills, same for your bridge officers. You may advance their rank but only if you are a rank above them. Early on, you needn't worry about this. Spend your skills however you see fit for now, but at every rank you gain a free token to totally reskill your character, my advice is to save these up for when you know what you want and need.

3:- Look on these forums for specific builds for yourself and your officers. There are many depending on what you want to do.

4:- You get better loot apparently. Other than that, I dont think you get extra xp or anything.

5:- The higher your rank, the better the ship you can command. Better ships go faster. That weired vortex is something you get when your a Vice Admiral.

6:- You can redo many missions, Starbase 24 is a fleet action I think and you can do it over and over. To replay any mission, goto your bridge and find your ready room. Use the computer on your desk.

7:- Take them whenever you wish. However most will give you the same rewards no matter on your level. So their reward will become less..... rewarding
Say what???? How do I do that. I had no idea you could walk around your ship. Wheres the tutorial for that cool feature lol. Tell me more haha
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-08-2011, 11:09 AM
1. You make energy credits by selling useless/old items. Don't worry you are right on track. As far as your ship is concerned, you get a new free one every time you reach a new rank.

2. Your character has five tiers of skills starting at Lieutenant all the way up to Rear Admiral/Vice Admiral. Every time you reach a new rank you unlike the next set of skills. For your Bride Officers you need to spend skill points and promote them. Go the character screen and click on one of your officers. At the bottom there should be an option to promote them. It may also be under a drop down menu of one of those buttons. Basically you have to spend a certain number of points on them and you cannot promote them to a rank that is higher than your own.

3. This is all trial and error. I wouldn't worry about this until you reach a higher rank, perhaps Captain or Rear Admiral. What it comes down to is reading the descriptions for the different abilities, weapons, and equipment then seeing which ones work for you. I do suggest (for later on) to have at least one of each career path for your away team. So have at least 1 science officer, 1 tactical officer, and 1 engineer. This doesn't include yourself.

4. I don't believe so. However it does increase the chance of getting better equipment.

5. Those vortexes are slipstream drives. You get them at the rank of Vice Admiral, so you have a long way to go. There is no way to get between sectors or systems any faster. You have to travel through space. Although you can work your way up the Diplomatic Corps to get transwarp abilities that let you go to Earth Space Dock, DS9, Starbase K-7, or Starbase 39.

6. It is a repeatable fleet action mission. There are a few of these. Exploration missions are also repeatable as well as Defend the Sector Block missions, and dailies.

7. You can do them at your own leisure, however I suggest doing them. Normally the best course of action is to do missions in this order:

Story missions for your level and lower
Patrol missions for your level and lower
Defend or Exploration missions if you need some extra points to level up.

I highly suggest doing at least the story missions so that you know what is going on in the game

If you have more questions feel free to send me a message. Also, check out my STO Website, the STO Academy for more help (shameless plug, I know lol).
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Say what???? How do I do that. I had no idea you could walk around your ship. Wheres the tutorial for that cool feature lol. Tell me more haha
On your minimap is a drop down menu in the lower right corner. Click it and choose Visit Bridge.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Quote:
A fast way to make credits on the spot is to sell junk loot to the replicator as you pick food, weapons, armour etc. Look at the demand on the exchange and sell what people are looking for at the time, scaning samples and placing them there are a good way to make credits there as they are always in demand.

Quote:
Each colum is unlocked by ranking up (10 full grades per rank eg. LT1 - LTC1) for the officers its the same but you can only rank them up to one rank under your current rank via spending a certtain amount of officer points.

Quote:
Easier to watch this video than for me to explain: The Perfect Away Team

Quote:
Diffuculty does not make an impact worth increasing, atm the only reason to increase it is for the challenge in solo-able mission ie only places it does not apply atm is STF's (special task force), Fleet Actions and pvp

Quote:
As you rank up you will get better ships and gear for those ships and at vice admiral the quantum slipstream ability aswell as more transwarp location abilites as you rank up your diplomatic core rank with non-combat missions, its just a matter of puting in the time to level up and find/buy the gear that you need at the time.

Quote:
All the missions are repeatable, some are just normaly repeatable (Dailes, Fleet Actions) and are also avaliable for revist via the capatins log in the interior when visiting your ready room via the arrow pointing down on the mini map then clickin on visit bridge.

Quote:
You can do them at your leisure.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Quote:
On your minimap, on the bottom right there's a down poiting triangle. Click on that and a small drop down menu will appear. Select 'Visit Bridge' and you'll beam onto your ships Bridge. From there you can go to you ready room, or the 'Crew' or 'Engineering decks' and see your entire in game ship - place ship and trophies trophies you're acquired (you can invite other players to visit your ship too once on the Bridge)

There are several Bridges (some that cost real money via Atari tokens that you buy to unlock - but once unlocked any character on your account can use them) ; and in the shipyard, there's a Ship Tailor that you can use to customize the exterior look and interior (ie Bridge, corridor and room layout) of your ship. Be aware that aftyer you make any changes there will be an Energy Credit or Merit cost assocuiated with it.

You get merits by doing missions and as has been stated above you gan gety EC by:

1) Selling item drops back to your Ship's Replicator or an NPC Vendor (for Fed characters the NPC vendors at ESD give you a better price then any other station, or selling to you replicator. You can also sell your drops on the player run Exchange, but you may want to look at what other people are selling things for before placing it there because - based on the item, you may get more from a NPC vendor; and if you post an item to sell on the Exchange, if it doesn't sell in a realtime week, it'll be e-mailed bacvk to you by the system.

2) Doing PvP matches. (These net EC based on how well you and your team did.)
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Read "The Ground Playbook" for information on this (link in signature). The STOked video is out of date.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Hi everyone

Peace out people
I just want add this to what everyone else has said.

Don't worry that you need to get gear off of the exchange. You can get badges for exploration missions that can be used to get gear that is pretty good. And if you want to, PvP will give badges for gear along with EC. (but PvP can be slow at low levels) And there are a lot of mission rewards that are good also.

The nice thing about this game is it is not that gear centric. It is more skill based. You can even be pretty competitive in PvP without buying too much off of the exchange.
Closed Thread