Lt. Commander
# 41
02-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Absolutely loved this! STO can only benefit from more of this sort of thing! Grateful Thanks to all those involved!
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-10-2012, 07:14 PM
What really has me guessing after reading this thread is why nobody pointed out we went from #20 to #22.... did the wormhole aliens makes #21 vanish like the 2800....?

But yeah, likely not Dax... or anyone else. Cryptic likely remembers the backlash they got when Worf came into the game and looked nothing like Worf. They also remember the backlash they got from Michael Dorn for putting Worf into the game and having him look nothing like Worf. I doubt we'll ever see any of the main cast from any of the crews in the game again. Sad but likely true.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-10-2012, 07:56 PM
As to who this "old man" that is referenced to is, I think it is pretty obvious that it is O'Brien. Lieutenant Commander C'thal is a member of the Starfleet Corps of Engineers, and in a Military organization it is pretty common for the CO, or Sergeant Major to be referred to as "Old Man" (not usually to their face). And since, in STO, O'Brien is physically an Old Man, as well as the head of the SCE, and was on the Defiant during Operation Return, C'thal is obviously referring to him as "The Old Man".

The Old Man couldn't be Dax, because, as has been said by others, Sisko was the only one who referred to Dax as Old Man. The Trill aren't in the habit of giving symbiotes to middle aged hosts. Even if Ezri suffered some tragic end after she retired from Starfleet in 2401, that's only 8 years from the time of her theoretical death to the time of STO not that much time for a new young male dax host to become an Old Man. It is possible that this twenty something year old new Male Dax host, if he is in Starfleet, skyrocketed through the ranks to become a department head in the SCE or the Commanding Officer of Starbase 375. That way young man Dax could be called "Old Man" in a military nickname kind of way.

Or Dax could still be Ezri in 2409, because she would only be in her 50's. She might have rejoined Starfleet considering they are at war with EVERYBODY, and feeling it her duty for an all hands on deck kind of war effort. However it still wouldn't make sense for C'thal to call her "Old Man" as that was only Sisko's nickname for Dax. But then again, female Starfleet officers are called "Sir" and not "Ma'am" so maybe if Ezri is the commander of Starbase 375 she is referred to as “The Old Man” because she is the station commander and like “Sir” the nickname “Old Man” is used regardless of gender.

So O’Brien is probably The Old Man that C`thal is referring to. However i don`t think we will be seeing him in game.
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ
So O’Brien is probably The Old Man that C`thal is referring to. However i don`t think we will be seeing him in game.
I'm sure not fetching him any bloody Jumja sticks if he is. I don't care how many alternate universes it will save.
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiClari View Post
Smiley is dead--we meet and battle his son in one of the Mirror Universe missions where he is plotting to redirect the Bajoran Wormhole to connect the two universes instead of connecting to the Gamma Quadrant.
In that mission, James O'Brien mentions that he "gutted" Smiley years ago. That's probably what V-Mink was referring to.

And James was Smiley's grandson, not his son.
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Way to elicit controversy Cryptic Anyways, I hope they didn't kill off Ezri just so they could have a non-canon Dax in-game, that would be a VERY bad idea! As for the logic behind "the Old man" being O'Brian, I think that is spot on and the likeness rights would be ok because he would be old and not looking to much like his younger self anyways. BUT we'll see tomorrow hopefully!
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-10-2012, 08:34 PM
"If I can't get the files through official channels, maybe there is another way. The Old Man was on the Defiant that day. If anyone knows what happened, he will."

How many time did sisko refer to dax as "Old Man"? at least once an episode. O'brian its unlikely seeing as in the show he was never called old man.

Dax has to be one of my favorit characters from DS9. i wonder if Ezri dax is still ailve just old or if its a new host.
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT View Post
"If I can't get the files through official channels, maybe there is another way. The Old Man was on the Defiant that day. If anyone knows what happened, he will."

How many time did sisko refer to dax as "Old Man"? at least once an episode. O'brian its unlikely seeing as in the show he was never called old man.

Dax has to be one of my favorit characters from DS9. i wonder if Ezri dax is still ailve just old or if its a new host.
Sisko referred to Dax as "Old Man" a lot, but nobody else did. I doubt Lieutenant Commander C'thal would take up the habit, and since he calls the old man a "he" IF, and it is a huge if, the he is referring to is Dax it would have to be a male host for Dax. And since, last we heard, Ezri was still alive, at least in 2401, it would have to be a young male host.

We know O'Brien is the head of the Starfleet Corps of Engineers, and was aboard the Defiant during Operation Return. We know Lieutenant Commander C'thal is a member of the Starfleet Corps of Engineers. The Old Man he is referring to must be O'Brien. And not some 20 something year old host of Dax.

If Ezri is still alive, and there is no reason to think she isn't, she wouldn't even be that old, just in her 50's. Old enough to be a Captain in Starfleet, but since she was a Captain in her late 20's/early 30's she could be an Admiral, if she got back into Starfleet after she retired from it in the year 2401. So Ezri would still look a lot like Nicole De Boer, which could be a problem adding her into STO for Likeness reasons. O'Brien, on the other hand, could possibly be in his 80's in 2409 which is old enough for him to look reasonably different than Colm Meaney looks like.
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP_Dodgers View Post
The Old Man...DAX?, no it said HE...unless Ezri Dax is Dead

Though on second thought all the Male members of the Defiant crew would be Old Men now, so it could be O'Brian, Bashir or Garek, or a New Dax.
Nog was on the Defiant, too.
Lt. Commander
# 50
02-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosov
Then why not simply mention O'Brien by name? He wouldn't appear in-game anyway because of likeness issues, so why the nebulous reference?
Because the Dev Blog, is the Personal Log of C'thal. It's written in his voice.And besides the style leads to much speculation and more excitement to see who it is.