Lt. Commander
# 1 This Article....
02-10-2012, 03:55 PM
...Should have mentioned STO by name and used it as the poster example.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...194851996.html

Only a matter of time before the ways in which we don't quite line up with these points disappear and we are all in a very unpleasant place.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2012, 04:18 PM
That really is a whiny article.

Its complaining that free to play games offer ways in which to fund their existence!

Its complaining about how f2p supposedly attracts more griefers!

Its complaining about customer service likely referring you to the forums just because your a free play "freeloader"!

Its complaining about the Smurfs!

Its complaining about how Lego Universe closed up shop because they didn't convert f2p players to subscribers, a model contrary to what Cryptic/PWE is pushing!

The only non-whiny part of it was in mentioning how people "find the forums confusing and/or hostile". Sounds about right.

I don't think STO will line up with very many of those points any time soon. For one thing, we don't have many threads complaining about the Smurfs!

Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik

I don't think STO will line up with very many of those points any time soon. For one thing, we don't have many threads complaining about the Smurfs!

How you've done it. Before the day it out I fully expect there to be a new Fleet full of only short blue skinned members with white hair. And the universal translation having problems translating 1/2 of what they say. :p

And to be on topic. The author doesn't get that Free to Play doesn't always mean not spending any money on the game. The Free to Play name is misleading in a way. It should really be "Pay as you go when you want". Not as short and catchy as Free-to-Play, but a more accurate description of the acount model.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Hrm... it's a fairly doom-n-gloomy article. Much of it, though, can be pretty well summed up as 'caveat emptor.' Also, some are pretty common sense. You have to be careful with microtransactions or else they will eat up your account -- that's pretty true in any game with an RMT store. *obligatory gnashing of teeth -- sorry, reflex* Griefers will be there weather you pay or not, and they don't seem particularly worried about repercussions *anywhere* because most game companies don't seem interested in staving off griefers.

In sum, really, watch your money when joining any F2P game, don't expect a lot, have what fun you can. Really, these are warnings about the nature of the beast, not just STO. STTO has a whole 'nother set of issues! =)
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
How you've done it. Before the day it out I fully expect there to be a new Fleet full of only short blue skinned members with white hair. And the universal translation having problems translating 1/2 of what they say. :p

And to be on topic. The author doesn't get that Free to Play doesn't always mean not spending any money on the game. The Free to Play name is misleading in a way. It should really be "Pay as you go when you want". Not as short and catchy as Free-to-Play, but a more accurate description of the acount model.
Makes giving orders to the fleet difficult.

"Go to Smurf Alert! Smurf the Smurfon Smurfpedoes! Ahead Smurf Factor Smurf!"
Helmsman: "... What?!"
"Raise Deflector Smurfs!"
Deflector Smurf: "Hey, I don't much like that idea...."
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-10-2012, 05:14 PM
I could poke so many holes in this article it'd be more efficient to just use a shotgun. He presents this sanctimonious argument against how F2P companies make money but if this guy actually worked for a company like Cryptic he wouldn't turn down the paycheck.