Lt. Commander
Hello all!

This is my first forum post and I wanted to say how much I've enjoyed playing the game over the last few weeks and how pleased I am with these community forums. It seems like this is a great community!

I was hoping I could get some advice on how to best play STO. I have set my resolution to the highest setting and have tweaked the other graphics settings a good bit to help make sure my computer can run the game with decent graphics but also at a good speed. I've pretty much turned up the detail on objects and players and turned off things like shadows and other showy effects (though I do keep a few on to get a good space combat experience).

The game plays wonderfully for me...for about half an hour to 45 minutes, then always slows down quite a lot and gets very stuttery and laggy. I'm wondering if I have the settings up too high, and should just be happy for the time I have, if my computer getting very hot after this play time (i'm on a laptop) is effecting the performance and I should look into some cooling options, or if there is something else I can do to help the game stay at high quality and speed for longer. I'd appreciate any suggestions or help that you could all provide me.

Sorry to make my first post a request, but I do thank you all for the help in advance! Here are my laptop specs:

Windows 7 64-bit

Intel Core2 Duo CPU @ 2.13GHz

4 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Sorry to bump, but going to give it one more try
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Well, you say you've basically maxed out your settings on resolution and character / object rendering quality. It's not surpring that your graphics might suffer after extended play... It sounds like you're maxing out your card and doing so for an extended period? Have you tried, for instance, lowering the resolution? Changing antialiasing from 8x to 4x? Anisotropic filtering from 16x to 4x, etc? If not, you might try lowering a couple settings and see if you get longer play time out of it. Seems sensible. If you're doing less rendering maybe the GPU stays cooler longer? Just thinking out loud...

Hard to say without playing with your settings... GT is the low-to-mid graphics line of nvidia. I think it goes GT, GTS, GTX... GTX being the highest end. So, maybe drop a couple of the heavy-duty settings (anti-aliasing, resolution, anisotropic filter).
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-19-2012, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoncadfael
The game plays wonderfully for me...for about half an hour to 45 minutes, then always slows down quite a lot and gets very stuttery and laggy. I'm wondering if I have the settings up too high, and should just be happy for the time I have, if my computer getting very hot after this play time (i'm on a laptop) is effecting the performance and I should look into some cooling options, or if there is something else I can do to help the game stay at high quality and speed for longer. I'd appreciate any suggestions or help that you could all provide me.

Sorry to make my first post a request, but I do thank you all for the help in advance! Here are my laptop specs:

Windows 7 64-bit

Intel Core2 Duo CPU @ 2.13GHz

4 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Thanks!
You answered your own question just in that little paragraph. Pretty much your Laptop is overheating so it's throttling back to allow itself to cool down thus saving itself from frying itself.

Unfortunately, this is a downside to a gaming laptop. Heat + small space + lack of circulation.

There are however a few devices you can buy. One looks like a pad that your Laptop sits in.

It's pretty much just a board with fans built in that increase the cool air flow, helping it to not overheat.

Apart from that, you could try upgrading the internal fans & make sure there's adequate airflow & you're not blocking any of the vents by accident.

You can try this at your OWN RISK
They recommend not to do this but if you're plugged into the mains, remove the battery. That alone will remove a big chunk of heat. I always do this when I'm faffing about on mine for long periods of time.
Keeps it cooler & stops you killing the battery by overcharging it thus lengthening its life.

Hope that helps you out a bit.