Lt. Commander
# 1 Any Savvy PC Techs HELP PLEASE
02-11-2012, 04:41 PM
OK here is the problem I have play sense beta and no problems tell these last 2 months. I can play fine but every 10-15 mins I get a good 2-3 mins of lag. Here what I find odd but I am no pc tech when it happens my entire computer slows if I exit sto it speeds right back up. This leads me to believe it not my internet connection correct me if I am wrong.

My PC
Gateway LX 6810
-64-bit windows Vista home
-NVIDIA GeForce GT120 with 1GB discrete memory
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
-8 GB DDR2 memory
-640GB hard drive with 581GB free space

I have cleaned up my computer defragged and ran multiple scans and cleared all Viruses add-ons and malware that may negatively effect my computer. Ran my graphics card through NVIDIA game tester against STO and comes back good.

Oh Ya
I turn off my firewall and close all none essential program before playing.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Trying running STO in Safe-Mode. To do this open the STO Launcher, Click Options, then click Safe-Mode, Click Ok. Type in your user id and password and log into the game. See if the problem repeats itself. You have a good computer. I do not think your computer's specifications are the problem. But try the safe-mode solution first and tell me what happens in this thread.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-11-2012, 04:49 PM
To start with: What have you changed in the past two months? Have you tried restoring your PC to the last time the game worked properly?

You can try the System Restore function. Be aware, though, that any programs you've installed after the selected restore date, you'll need to reinstall. Also, I'm not sure if SR affects any patches to the game, although I would think not since the patch writes to the game file itself and not the system registry, I can't be 100% sure. I do know, though, that a System Restore will not affect existing data files.

It may not be a virus or malware, per se, but something that just isn't playing nice with your CPU or GPU. Doing a restore to the last point that STO worked properly would help rule out conflicting application issues.

FYI: To do a System Restore, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore and follow the prompts.