Lt. Commander
# 21
02-14-2012, 04:27 AM
So I got the MVAE and I'm a little unimpressed by MVAM, I think the cooldown is too much for such a big feature, which I honestly don't see to be much of a damage increase.

Thinking of going Defiant.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-14-2012, 04:37 AM
MVAM is horrible against the BORG since the pets tend to blow up when the cubes blow up.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-14-2012, 04:58 AM
Quad Cannons are not a real advantage. They look cool but that is about it.

The MVAE is more powerful than the Defiant in terms of flexibility and CAN be the more deadly ship if set up right. It is very hard to argue with its strength. The Defiant however CAN tank better, likewise if setup correctly, making it slightly more survivable. So it is a matter of rather you want more sheer DPS or more Tank? Keep in mind that NEITHER is bad at EITHER but they are slightly better in those categories.

I have always had LOTS of FUN in my MVAE though, that much I can assure you.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
MVAM is horrible against the BORG since the pets tend to blow up when the cubes blow up.

That is annoying. Some times they are smart enough to stay away, though. When fighting Cubes, I tend to swap the MVAM console for one of the Point-Defense Turrets. That way the pets won't die and I am protected against the Cube's torpedoes.

Depending on which section you control, the other two MVAM pets may have healing abilities. That is always a nice perk. It keeps them going (but not against the aforementioned Cube detonations).
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkuu_Akagan
Quad Cannons are not a real advantage. They look cool but that is about it.

The MVAE is more powerful than the Defiant in terms of flexibility and CAN be the more deadly ship if set up right. It is very hard to argue with its strength. The Defiant however CAN tank better, likewise if setup correctly, making it slightly more survivable. So it is a matter of rather you want more sheer DPS or more Tank? Keep in mind that NEITHER is bad at EITHER but they are slightly better in those categories.

I have always had LOTS of FUN in my MVAE though, that much I can assure you.
I just switched from a Defiant-R to an MVAE w/o the MVAM console. So far it seems to tank a little bit better than the Defiant. I did have to reset my toolbar, that may have more to do with it. But, so far it seems a little bit better. I personally would ditch the MVAM for STFs.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringram View Post
I just switched from a Defiant-R to an MVAE w/o the MVAM console. So far it seems to tank a little bit better than the Defiant. I did have to reset my toolbar, that may have more to do with it. But, so far it seems a little bit better. I personally would ditch the MVAM for STFs.
... Then you are not really registering the full effect of the MVAM. Yes, the Pets often die when a Cube goes boom (though not always to my delight) but they can be of great benefit. Alpha comes with Attack Pattern Beta (kinda odd... Should really come with Alpha no? lol) which can be a real boon in an STF and will stack with all other Debuffs. Gamma will help rip the shields off of opponents while its Attack Pattern Delta can add even MORE debuff to the target and Beta is just vicious.

However, what is MORE important is what effect splitting has on YOU than the pets. The MVAE is not a Carrier it is more of a swiss army knife. If you want your Sci abilities and shields to get a boost then flip into the Gamma Vector. If you are on patrol duty and want to unleash pure unrelenting DPS upon the pathetic Assimilated Borg Klingon ships or Probes then Beta Vector will turn them into slag in mere seconds. If you want to have a little boost across the board, move better, but keep some hull then Alpha Vector is your friend.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkuu_Akagan
... Then you are not really registering the full effect of the MVAM. Yes, the Pets often die when a Cube goes boom (though not always to my delight) but they can be of great benefit. Alpha comes with Attack Pattern Beta (kinda odd... Should really come with Alpha no? lol) which can be a real boon in an STF and will stack with all other Debuffs. Gamma will help rip the shields off of opponents while its Attack Pattern Delta can add even MORE debuff to the target and Beta is just vicious.

However, what is MORE important is what effect splitting has on YOU than the pets. The MVAE is not a Carrier it is more of a swiss army knife. If you want your Sci abilities and shields to get a boost then flip into the Gamma Vector. If you are on patrol duty and want to unleash pure unrelenting DPS upon the pathetic Assimilated Borg Klingon ships or Probes then Beta Vector will turn them into slag in mere seconds. If you want to have a little boost across the board, move better, but keep some hull then Alpha Vector is your friend.
Those are good points. I'll have to consider how to make room for the MVAM. For the moment I'm back in my Defiant-R. After a good couple of days it didn't seem like I was tanking as well as I was in the Defiant.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-15-2012, 05:41 PM
I prefer the MVAE but can't stand how the components tend to go wandering around stupidly. For that reason I fly a Defiant-R

Other than that, I find either ship is perfectly flyable.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYLiam View Post
So I got the MVAE and I'm a little unimpressed by MVAM, I think the cooldown is too much for such a big feature, which I honestly don't see to be much of a damage increase.

It will last indefinitely if you don't zone or cancel it though. It's great for lots of fights without zoning.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYLiam View Post

Honestly if the only reason you were considering the MVAE was for MVAM, you were bound to be disappointed. While it's a neat gimmick, it is hampered by its cooldown and lack of real utility outside of the small bonuses you get in each section.

If you're getting an MVAE, you get it for the Lt., Cmdr Science BOff slot. MVAM is just icing.

In your case, if the Sci slot wasn't doing it for you, Defiant might be the better way to go. Decloak Alpha has better utility to it than MVAM.