Lt. Commander
Because if they are, drop them.

Seriously, this first DS9 FE episode "Second Wave" could have been put together by any competent Foundry author in less than a week - as absolutely nothing new was added aside from the 'conference room' - AND the absolutely terrible voice overs.

So if adding voice overs to new content is what is causing it to be created/released at a snails pace - please Cryptic, just leave them out except for maybe some cut scene work.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-11-2012, 06:24 PM
I agree 100%. I'm sure later episodes will feature more unique environments/assets, but it shouldn't take you 6 months to produce 1 FE, if most of the missions are as bland as this. I mean really- at this stage at least a full 20% (1 of 5 missions) of the new FE is rehashed from existing assets. How does that translate to 6 months per FE, and that's about the max that the team can produce?

I saw nothing here that didn't exist before save the conference room. Frankly I too am not all that impressed with the voiceovers. The quality of the voices and dialogue vary greatly between scene and character, meaning the well delivered and well written lines are just dragged down by the subpar dialogue that surrounds them. I wish you could skip the cutscenes in these missions, especially for replay.

The character movements/animation don't match the voices at all (haha look at the scene where the officer in ops gets killed) and the whole thing feels like it came from a game made 10 years ago. If you drop the voiceovers in favor of stronger stories, more immersive gameplay, and more elaborate missions, then I'm all for it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-11-2012, 06:26 PM
I think it's the lack of employees. The content guy needs to have a systems guy to create any new assets. Since this mission was going to take place at an existing location, they could focus their limited resources on future chapters that required entire new maps.

The next chapter takes place on Bajor. So it should be more compelling than this one.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Considering the leaked screenshots, videos etc that were taken from the Featured Episodes, while this 1 mission could of been done with the foundry, I'm betting my entire EC stash on my main char that their is some that couldn't be done :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
I agree 100%. I'm sure later episodes will feature more unique environments/assets, but it shouldn't take you 6 months to produce 1 FE, if most of the missions are as bland as this. I mean really- at this stage at least a full 20% (1 of 5 missions) of the new FE is rehashed from existing assets. How does that translate to 6 months per FE, and that's about the max that the team can produce?
It did not take 6 months. No one had been working on it for months. Feel free to read the following post by Steven D, which he made in December: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...0&postcount=63
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
Considering the leaked screenshots, videos etc that were taken from the Featured Episodes, while this 1 mission could of been done with the foundry, I'm betting my entire EC stash on my main char that their is some that couldn't be done :p
The cinematics and conference room couldn't be done with The Foundry.

Also, the dialogue behavior does some things that The Foundry can't do.
Lt. Commander
# 7 I like the VO
02-11-2012, 06:34 PM
It raises the bar from the other missions. It can be skipped through when playing if you don't like it.

As for mission content taking longer, maybe but they don't plan on exactly cranking these out anyway. If we could get many, many more missions without VO I'd say ok, at least until the KDF mission content is done. But it's not an either/or. It's 9-13 missions per year with voice or without. I'll take voice.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-11-2012, 06:53 PM
I really don't think that voiceovers are hindering anything, considering both quality and quantity. Of course I really don't know what is involved in hiring people, recording etc... but, lengthy negoiations and arrangements with good actors doesn't seem to be in place here.

Other things are at work here i'm sure. Voice over is something that seems to be a "do it right or just don't do it" type of thing. Not someting that can be shoehorned into a game willy nilly because it seems to be the in thing. Done badly can be worse than not doing it at all.

Some of the voice over is good, some is well...And that isn't to say I could do it better or anything, but the amount and quality of what is there doesn't seem to scream "time investment" to me.

I hope it evolves into something great. If any mmorpg based on an IP (that thrives on great dialog) deserves incredible voiceover + cimematic work, it is definitely STO.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-11-2012, 07:27 PM
The voice overs were supposedly done long before this was released. Those are not what is holding things up at all.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
It did not take 6 months. No one had been working on it for months. Feel free to read the following post by Steven D, which he made in December: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...0&postcount=63
But when he says that it's realistic to only expect 2 FE per year, it implies that ~6 months of work are needed to finish one.

I understand that they are also working on other aspects of the game as well, but even assuming it only took ~3 months to create this FE, can you honestly tell me that it seems like a reasonable amount? Again this mission should not have taken more than 1-2 people a week at most to make, (excluding VO work) given the appropriate tools.