Lt. Commander
# 21
02-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
Are you sure you're talking about the same TOR as the one I play when not playing STO?

TOR's is much higher quality than STO's. And...in all honesty...I think STO is better off without VO of this current quality.
lol?

The voice acting in TOR is, at times, utterly atrocious. There are a handful of central characters that are pretty good, but the rest are just poor cheese at best.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Definitely some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard. Personally I would prefer the option to just disable voices, it's THAT bad.

Quote:
The voice acting in TOR is, at times, utterly atrocious. There are a handful of central characters that are pretty good, but the rest are just poor cheese at best.
Ummm... the quality of TOR's VO's is at minimum twice as 'good' as any VO in STO, lol.

Almost all of the main story archs have tremendously good VO's; which is a very very large amount of voice work. While I will agree that many 'shared quests' VO's aren't up to par with the rest of the game; they are still -without a doubt- better then any other in-game-voice work of any other title.

Maybe you could link some examples of 'so bad' voice acting that it's onpar/worse then this atrocity that we had to endure in this FE?
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-11-2012, 09:47 PM
The Ferengi, & the Scottish FO were the best of the bunch...

The rest... ...Pitiful...

Sorry guys..., ...pay the money and get some talent in there next time.

The main Ambassadorial Characters all sounded like the same guy... (which if it was, is just sad)

I could tell there was a lot of effort put into it.. But it failed miserably.

I'm a long time amateur actor for local troops. doing backstage voice overs and such.

IMO, there was too much emphasis on making the guys voice sound different with each toon, instead of just trying to naturally speak the lines...

At the very least, next time hire a Voice Coach.

By the way, the ambassadors all sounded like they were voiced by the guy that did the Romulan Villain in the last FE.

Which would be OK...
...if he only knew how to alter his natural speaking voice without MAKING IT OBVIOUS that that is what he was doing.

<shrug>

Liked the mission though.

The new Conference Room... ACES...

A Really Big Thumbs Up on that one

I just stood there and stared at it for a few minutes, most impressive.

Lt. Commander
# 24
02-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
Are you sure you're talking about the same TOR as the one I play when not playing STO?

TOR's is much higher quality than STO's. And...in all honesty...I think STO is better off without VO of this current quality.
Sorry Cryptic, but I agree with this. The only VOs I actually felt were any good were Hadron and Shon. Overall, though, it just seemed like they were "acting" too much, it wasn't natural. I've kinda felt like the VOs have been rather sub-par ever since they introduced them. And yes, there have been a few gems (psychotic hologram from What Lies Beneath, for example), but for the most part I could care less for the VOs at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-11-2012, 11:10 PM
I'll be blunt, Chris needs to seriously work on his delivery. As an actor myself, I was thoroughly displeased with the lack of emotion in his voice when he said "blast it." It was supposed to be voiced frustration, not another word.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-12-2012, 01:50 AM
Correcting above statements about the STOked cast doing voiceovers. Jeremy had two, Captain Kurland and the Ferengi in Quarks Bar. Chris voiced the Bajoran outside the shrine.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-12-2012, 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarContinuum
Correcting above statements about the STOked cast doing voiceovers. Jeremy had two, Captain Kurland and the Ferengi in Quarks Bar. Chris voiced the Bajoran outside the shrine.
In any case, whoever voiced Kurland needs to work on their acting ability.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-12-2012, 02:32 AM
I've found that most of the voice acting in STO is... well you hear it and you can tell instantly it's computer game voiceover, slow, monotone, almost as if the voice was digitally synthesized entirely on a comptuer. Kurland just seemed to... real... to me compared to the others. I thought it was very well done, just way too real world sounding compared to the rest which threw me off.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-12-2012, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarContinuum
I've found that most of the voice acting in STO is... well you hear it and you can tell instantly it's computer game voiceover, slow, monotone, almost as if the voice was digitally synthesized entirely on a comptuer. Kurland just seemed to... real... to me compared to the others. I thought it was very well done, just way too real world sounding compared to the rest which threw me off.
Listen to him say "Blast it" again, and then tell me that was believable in the slightest.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-12-2012, 02:39 AM
Kurland was a damn sight better than that godawful Surah VO.