Lt. Commander
# 31
02-12-2012, 03:50 AM
I'm not going to bag on the people that did it, that's not a good way to express anything. I will say though that I'd probably have prefered text only, unless you are going to run with v/o professionals it's best to just use that time and energy for polish and gameplay.

It requires a budget to do v/o at a level that doesn't break immersion, and I don't think the episode really was made better by the inclusion of v/o.

Obesek was great, but that was a professional and you can hear it, just my opinion, good on the people that stepped up to the mic and are going to take the beating, but for me personally It didn't do much.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-12-2012, 04:49 AM
The only ones that I thought were any good were Captain Shon and the Gorn. Good work on those 2. The Tellerite sounded like he was drunk, the Ferangi was obviously some guy trying and failing to sound like quark and set my teeth on edge.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-12-2012, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard_Nacelle View Post
I'll be blunt, Chris needs to seriously work on his delivery. As an actor myself, I was thoroughly displeased with the lack of emotion in his voice when he said "blast it."
First of all, it was Jeremy aka Borticus.
Secondly, he's a programmer not an actor. Cut him some slack.

The only voiceovers that I didn't really like were the Tellarite Admiral and Cmd. Andrews. But since both characters are dead now, it's pretty much a moot point.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-12-2012, 05:54 AM
To the one saying the VO in STO is better than TOR...

Have you been drinking reactor cooling liquid again? :p

But joking aside, whilst most of the VO in STO is ok, the ones in TOR is way better in most cases. Sure some VO's in TOR come of as cheesy, but there are not too many of those.

The best VO in STO is propbably the one who did Obisek. a close second is the one for Hakeev.

VO is very expensive, and TOR had a much bigger budget to use on VO than STO.

TOR has voice actors like David Hayter (Metal Gear Solid's Snake) Tome Kane (the narrator for TCW pluss some other VO in the same show.) They also have the guy who vocied Drake in the Uncharted games.

Pluss they have Anthony Daniels (C-3PO in all the SW movies).

So as you can see, there is little doubt that whilst the VO's in STO is acceptable in most cases, the TOR VO are far far better.

And I do think that Jeremy and Chris from STOked did a good job for non professional VO guys.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-12-2012, 06:31 AM
I loved the scottish one, and the 'voice' of the dominion at the end.

The only one I didn't really like was the tellatite speaker.

Lt. Commander
# 36
02-12-2012, 06:49 AM
I thought they were good except for the Tellerite and Captain Kurkland. I thought all the other ones were okay. Kurkland's voice didnt go with his body. I would have expected something more deep and rough. It was too high pitched and lacked real emotion in places: "Blast it" "Andrews? Andrews!"
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-12-2012, 07:09 AM
I don't think I actually listened to one through completion. I just listened long enough to wince and then clicked trough.

These are no where near the quality of TOR, I actually listened to those.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-12-2012, 07:15 AM
You have to at least give the devs credit for putting in the effort.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-12-2012, 07:24 AM
The Gorn voiceover alone was worth it. I didn't like that he acted like a Klingon and his text didn't fit a Gorn at all, but the voice was pure win.
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-12-2012, 07:26 AM
In business effort isn't enough they should do nothing less than quality.