Lt. Commander
# 41
02-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Overall I liked the voice overs, but there is still room for improvement. I didn't like only the tallarite admiral. The Gorn sounded grate, I just have problem with what he said - he souned like 100% klingon.

Kurland was very good, better than most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard_Nacelle View Post
Listen to him say "Blast it" again, and then tell me that was believable in the slightest.
I replayed the mission a moment ago just to hear it again and I think it sounded very believable. Andrews is commanding officer on DS9, he needs to keep his emotions in check and focus on his work. His "blast it" is not sign of panic. After attack he starts giving orders, but than realizes that the battle is already lost, he says "blast it" to himself expressing his frustration more than his anger or surprise. If there was Picard or Jaynway in his place they wouldn't say anything like that, cause they are better at crisis management, Kurland slips just quiet "blast it". At least this is how I've interpreted his behavior.
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwiat View Post
I replayed the mission a moment ago just to hear it again and I think it sounded very believable. Andrews is commanding officer on DS9, he needs to keep his emotions in check and focus on his work. His "blast it" is not sign of panic. After attack he starts giving orders, but than realizes that the battle is already lost, he says "blast it" to himself expressing his frustration more than his anger or surprise. If there was Picard or Jaynway in his place they wouldn't say anything like that, cause they are better at crisis management, Kurland slips just quiet "blast it". At least this is how I've interpreted his behavior.
Oh, it's not the dialogue itself I have an issue with, it's the delivery of the line. It's godawful.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-12-2012, 09:26 AM
It's my understanding that most if not all of the vos were done by amatuers. I thought they all did very well. I was bothered more by the difference in sound quality between certain voices, but that can be hard to remedy if you can't control the quality of the recording devices used by the actors.

All I aal I liked them.
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-12-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm certain that the Cardassian and Gorn are voiced by the same VO. The rest are hammy at best (sorry guys, but I work with VOs a lot in studio so I'm picky). The Gorn/Cardassian voice sounds to be a pro - sounds like Jim Cummings if my ears aren't dead yet. You'll know him from Baldur's Gate, Shrek, Skyrim, and just about every other game with voices in the last 15 years.
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decker999 View Post
The Gorn voiceover alone was worth it. I didn't like that he acted like a Klingon and his text didn't fit a Gorn at all, but the voice was pure win.
I have to disagree with you on the "doesn't sound like a Gorn". That's stereotyping, and that to me, limits what character's potential. I expect an entire range of Gorn. True Soldeiers of the Klingon Empire, those that just serve, other who serve unwillingly, and and dissidents looking to break the ties between the Klingons and the Gorn. There's even a Fed DOFF assignment in Omega Leonis that deals with latter.

And back on on topic. if I haven't said so already. I just loved the voiceover for Captain S'taass. I really wish he had more lines than he did in the Episode.
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwiat View Post
Overall I liked the voice overs, but there is still room for improvement. I didn't like only the tallarite admiral. The Gorn sounded grate, I just have problem with what he said - he souned like 100% klingon.
He was representing the Klingon Empire. What did you expect him to say? His job isn't voicing his opinion but that of his faction.
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
He was representing the Klingon Empire. What did you expect him to say? His job isn't voicing his opinion but that of his faction.
He represents the High Council, a council in which the Gorn don't even have a representative! The story behind the Gorn and the Klingons is not explored at all in the game, we know just few bare facts from the lore and I just don't buy that Gorn would assimilate so quick and so well with the Empire that they would loose their own identity (only few years have passed since the war).

I don't have a problem with the ambassador being Gorn or with the view he represents (after all he does represent the Klingon Empire, not the Gorn Hegemony), but the way he represents it. What he says sounds very personal, as if he was raised in the Klingon culture and he most probably wasn't. He is the first high ranking representative of his race in the Empire that we can interact with and he speaks like a stereotypical Klingon? It's disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
I have to disagree with you on the "doesn't sound like a Gorn". That's stereotyping, and that to me, limits what character's potential. I expect an entire range of Gorn.
I would also expect "entire range", unfortunately so far we have only seen green Klingons with scales.
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
I have to disagree with you on the "doesn't sound like a Gorn". That's stereotyping, and that to me, limits what character's potential. I expect an entire range of Gorn. True Soldeiers of the Klingon Empire, those that just serve, other who serve unwillingly, and and dissidents looking to break the ties between the Klingons and the Gorn. There's even a Fed DOFF assignment in Omega Leonis that deals with latter.
That's the problem, isn't it? Cryptic put Gorn, Nausicaans, Orion and Letheans in, to give the KDF more options than just Klingon (and Alien) without developing a real solid story and reasoning behind it. Being a huge Gorn fan, I really liked the idea of the universal translator voice with the "original" voice in the background, but I had huge problems seeing a Gorn and not a Klingon saying all this. Sure there will be individuals and some might have been easier to be "assimilated" by the Klingon Empire, but this guy was just too emotional and defensive about his Empire and Honor for someone coming from a totally different culture that was just conquered a couple years ago.

So to say, while I like to see and hear more Gorn, this role was more that of a Klingon.
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-12-2012, 04:14 PM
I had a problem where someone earlier was defending the shoddy work on most of the voice-overs by using the argument: "cut them some slack, it's mostly the devs doing the voice-over work...."

That's as acceptable as saying: "forgive some of the bugs in the mission...it's the Cryptic studios janitors doing the programming"

You don't have janitors do programming.
You don't have devs do voice-acting.

Hire some real actors or don't do it at all.
Lt. Commander
# 50
02-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykotion View Post
You don't have janitors do programming.
You don't have devs do voice-acting.

Hire some real actors or don't do it at all.
This. Getting your devs to do the voiceovers on the cheap really shows how much budget has been assigned to the FE's No doubt all the money from the Cryptic store will be getting plowed into the new Neverwinter MMO.