Lt. Commander
You know, the ones that are temporary? The timer that basically invalidates gold-pressed latinum as a currency? Yeah, how about those? I've only made two threads about them last year. Any chance of these getting made into permanent items so that latinum isn't completely worthless?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Those ship holo-emitters are snazzy.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-29-2012, 12:51 PM
The usefulness of GPL in it's current state is pretty embarrassing. Such an overlooked opportunity. It would be a great way to obtain more personal vanity items or "black market" items. Perhaps more items for the ready room or personal quarters? Or maybe unique equipment that's not so easy to come by through the Federation or KDF.

...and yeah, holo-emitters should be a non-perishable device. Make it a worthwhile purchase.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-29-2012, 01:13 PM
If they were permanent though, what would you do with all the possible oodles of useless GPL?

Also, buy a drink, maybe it'll bring you good luck!
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
If they were permanent though, what would you do with all the possible oodles of useless GPL?!

Occasional DOff missions?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-29-2012, 01:36 PM
I miss Rom.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisty
I miss Rom.

Is he allowed to put his hands on the hologram?
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-29-2012, 01:46 PM
I remember Borticus said that improving the holo ship timers wasn't gonna happen.

I believe it is sorta a CBS thing. They can't be "permanent" since they are not Federation or Klingon ships, and the CBS guy said that they had to be temporary or ultra rare to keep Federation space from being full of D'kora, Cargo and Jem'hadar ships.

Don't get me wrong, I want better Holo-Emitters also, but it's not gonna happen.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
I remember Borticus said that improving the holo ship timers wasn't gonna happen.

I believe it is sorta a CBS thing. They can't be "permanent" since they are not Federation or Klingon ships, and the CBS guy said that they had to be temporary or ultra rare to keep Federation space from being full of D'kora, Cargo and Jem'hadar ships.

Don't get me wrong, I want better Holo-Emitters also, but it's not gonna happen.
Then why bother having them in the first place? They're the most pointless vanity item in the game right now, and latinum as a currency is almost completely worthless as a result. More importantly, the shift in appearance goes away as soon as a ship enters red alert. It's not a permanent transformation by any means. If they're really that concerned about new players seeing Cardassian Galor-class ships flying around Sol, they could just increase the price of the emitters and limit their use to system space. The shimmer effect already makes it very apparent that it's not a real ship.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
Those ship holo-emitters are snazzy.
Beat me to it. I knew this would be the very first reply though hehe.

According to the STO Wiki, the timer on the holo-emitters will reset if you zone with the emitter deactivated. So as long as you don't use your emitter for >15 contiguous minutes, you can use it indefinitely. Don't know if that is a bug or by design... but it certainly is a total waste of GPL to spend 50,000+ on a 15-minute gimmick. At least in its "bugged" state the item lasts "forever".

http://www.stowiki.org/Holo-Emitters

As to the uselessness of GPL, I think the problem is that there are simply too many forms of currency in the game, despite their work to reverse that with the "new dilithium economy". We still have things like EDC/RBS, etc. that are only used for a few things, there is unreplicatable materials for crafting, etc. Basically there are only so many currencies that are needed to serve the needs of an economy, and since they have to tie dilithium into as many things as possible in order to remain solvent, GPL is just the one that gets left out.