Lt. Commander
# 1 Can't post on forums
02-12-2012, 12:39 PM
I bought something from the c-store. I still can't post in the f2p section. Is there something else I'm missing?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quatin2
I bought something from the c-store. I still can't post in the f2p section. Is there something else I'm missing?
Might be a time lag? Did you just now purchase it? The data could take some time to propagate across all login servers.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-12-2012, 06:27 PM
It's been almost 24 hour.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quatin2
It's been almost 24 hour.
It can take a couple days or so. Unfortunately it's not an instantaneous change.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-12-2012, 07:42 PM
You have to buy something from the c-store to post in the F2P forum? That's stupid. F2P means FREE to play, not PAY to POST. Omg.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leptoon View Post
You have to buy something from the c-store to post in the F2P forum? That's stupid. F2P means FREE to play, not PAY to POST. Omg.
That restriction is in place to discourage gold farmer spamming. It's been there since the game went F2P.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewsTelamon001
That restriction is in place to discourage gold farmer spamming. It's been there since the game went F2P.
Can you please explain how that can help prevent "gold farmer spamming"? What is "gold farmer spamming"?

EDIT: Just looked up the definition of gold farmer spam. It doesn't make any sense to limit access to the F2P forum like that, what is stopping gold farmers from simply posting in other sections of the forum? Plus, I can't believe that the PWE moderators are so incompetent that they can't remove the posts and ban the accounts.

What they should do is limit access to the entire forum until you pay something, that would be truly red.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Can you please explain how that can help prevent "gold farmer spamming"? What is "gold farmer spamming"?
People who are posting on the forums for no other purpose than to hawk a website for "free dilithium" , "free EC" and the like. Usually such sites have keyloggers embedded in the code, which then steals the unsuspecting players' account credentials and turns them into more gold farmer bots.

"Gold farmer" is just a quasi-universal term for any person who hawks "free virtual currency" websites.

Requiring a purchase or X number of hours or a C-Point balance (FYI, a purchase is not the ONLY way to unlock forum priviliges: look here-- http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p_features ) is one way to help prevent that, on the grounds that a gold farmer isn't going to generally make the commitment to a game/community that they have no true interest in other than getting people to visit their website.

EDIT: In reference to the above, PWE mods generally do remove gold farmer spam posts on sight. However, as this board (and the subscriber system) were inherited from Cryptic and it was previously set so that only subscribers could post to the board at all, some modifications had to be made for the players that still sub and don't wish to see their board turned into gold farmer spam central. Mods, after all, can only do so much, and even they must sleep...
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewsTelamon001
People who are posting on the forums for no other purpose than to hawk a website for "free dilithium" , "free EC" and the like. Usually such sites have keyloggers embedded in the code, which then steals the unsuspecting players account credentials and turns them into more gold farmer bots.
That didn't answer my (first) question.

How does limiting access to one section of the forum prevent gold farmer spam?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Quote:
That didn't answer my (first) question.

How does limiting access to one section of the forum prevent gold farmer spam?
Edited my post to answer your question, since you'd ninja'd your own while I was typing my response.