Lt. Commander
# 41
02-12-2012, 12:56 PM
reminds me of when it first came out and i was paying to sit and look at "sever down"It's why i stopped paying my subscription.
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Wallace
You guys need to chill out... You aren't going to die because you're missing half an hour of precious playtime. With the HUGE increase in players here I'm sure it will take a bit of time for them to properly evaluate the amount of server resources required to accommodate this.
They've been having to "properly evaluate the amount of server resources required" for Every. Single. Featured. Series.

This. Always. Happens.

And people will say the same things: either end of the world butthut or shameless apologism for a developer that doesn't care for them and never will. Neither of these stances are helpful.

What would be helpful is identifying the problem, saying 'look guys this is what is wrong we're working on it', and making sure it does not happen again. Cryptic has had several opprotunities to adopt this attitude since the open beta, and frankly they've worn out a lot of the community's goodwill. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

There is literally no other major MMO that is down as frequently as STO, except maybe their other MMO, Champions Online.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the update, any time frame as to when this will be resolved?
Lt. Commander
# 44 hmmm...
02-12-2012, 12:57 PM
I think I am just going to use all my "free" stipend points to buy EC cap and just go F2P.
This downtime gives me a chance to download SWTOR too... I hear they like my money.
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-12-2012, 12:58 PM
This means, i'm going to have to drag myself away from the computer and go downstairs and socialize with real people, there's a reason why I play this game, I have no life and I don't want to socialize with the people downstairs!!!

Your making things very difficult Cryptic!
Lt. Commander
# 46
Ey this music is ****, but you had a good idea with the subspace radio.
Lt. Commander
# 47
Everyone who is complaining you need to relax. Things like this will happen if you dont like it go play somewhere else MMO's are not for you.
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-12-2012, 01:00 PM
I'll hazard a guess and say they probably don't know exactly what is wrong on the servers lately. There are probably a combination of factors ranging from OS bugs, hardware quirks, and copious software bugs on their custom software. If the problem were as simple as more RAM or CPU, then they would sort that and let us know.

I've worked in network operations before with quirky hardware/software. Your #1 goal in an outage is to restore service--not figuring out what broke. That can take days or weeks. So you do a reboot, repair the database (time consuming), and get back online. Turn all the diag gizmos you can w/o taking the whole thing down again and wait for another crash.

It's a bad spot to be in. None of us can flog their staff any more than the VP of operations is right now... along with the VP of marketing. Both of whom are probably getting calls on a Sunday about server downtime. Do y'all know how much an executive hates weekend calls?

I pity these poor *******s.
Lt. Commander
# 49
I'm going to take this as a sign that twenty-seven hours is long enough to stay awake, and it's time to get some sleep.
Lt. Commander
# 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
So, I guess you HAVEN'T played SWToR yet then.
B/c then people would be staying there longer due to actaul content, slightly better CS, amazing VO, and virtually no server downtime?
Closed Thread