Lt. Commander
# 1 Did the Borg attack V'ger?
02-12-2012, 01:30 PM
After reading the various theories about V'ger being made by the Borg, etc., I remembered something from the Star Trek: The Motion Picture novel.

Not long after it left the machine planet, V'ger was attacked by a 'Life Form' as it travelled through a solar system. It barely survived, but returned and patterned the entire planet that the 'Life Form' came from, except for the carbon units on it.

Could the machine planet in V'ger's memory actually be the Borg homeworld after it was patterned?

Also the interior of V'ger is different in style from the exterior. Maybe it built itself a giant version of the Borg command ship, and then made its way through our galaxy.

If anyone wishes, I can post the relevant section from the novel. I do know it's not canon, but it does provide one possible connection between V'ger and the Borg.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Alternatively could V'ger have founded the Borg when she(it) merged with the guy?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-12-2012, 02:44 PM
"Did we just see the creation of a new life form?"

"Yes, Captain. We witnessed a birth."

I think we take the origin of V'Ger at face value. It reached a machine planet which build the ship to get it back to earth so Voyager can complete its mission. With its main program of collecting knowledge V'Ger took that to extremes by patterning all life and assimilating its knowledge.

When it wanted to join with the creator and merged with Decker, that was the creation of the Borg. The Voyager program continued its prime directive of collecting knowledge, and essentially, translated that into assimilated life forms go grow the collective.

Thats what I think happpened. I would assume the Borg then used the V'Ger ship as a template for its construction of command ships.

I think the machine planet is an entirely different species than the borg.

I LOVE, however, that it turns out, WE created the Borg through Voyager.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddula
I LOVE, however, that it turns out, WE created the Borg through Voyager.
Ironic, isn't it. Well it seems more likely that the ST: Legacy explaination. DStahl did say he wanted to get V'ger into the game one day.

I wonder of Cryptic will ever give us a proper explaination for the borg command ships...
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Doesn't add up though unless Voyager VI went back in time through the black hole. The Vaadwaur knew of the collective (who had a handful of systems at the time) hundreds of years before Voyager VI was launched.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-12-2012, 03:47 PM
And let's not forget there were Borg in 2063 already that the Borg that had travelled back in time tried to contact by recycling the Enterprise-E's deflector.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylsy View Post
Doesn't add up though unless Voyager VI went back in time through the black hole. The Vaadwaur knew of the collective (who had a handful of systems at the time) hundreds of years before Voyager VI was launched.
Yes they did, I think he mentions they were a "minor pain" back then or something.
Don't forget that TNG episode where Guinan mentions that they have been developing for hundreds or thousands of centuries (not years) so they sound as though they are an ancient race, much more ancient then the voyager probe.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirlettia
Alternatively could V'ger have founded the Borg when she(it) merged with the guy?
The Borg, according to what was mentioned on Voyager, have existed for well over eight hundred years. It is more likely that the Borg have recently found and assimilated the machine planet that helped build V'Ger. This could explain the Borg's resurgence of late.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Humanity created the borg through the voyager probe.

Probably entered a time warp and was thrown into the distant Delta Quadrant

Probe somehow came across an advance sentient robotic lifefrom which transformed the probe in an effort to understand it, the result was V'ger.

V'Ger in tern would create the borg to help itself understand the strange, organic and complex universe it now lived in, thus the borg were simply a tool to gather information for V'ger.

Think that was from one of the Trek games, not sure which one.......

The Battlestar Galactica Quote works well:

"Humanity’s Children Are Returning Home "
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Wow, thats beyond strecthing V-Ger as something to do with the Borg.

Niether is related in any way. Escpecially when you consider the fact that the borg was on one side of the universe and V-ger came from beyond the side of where the Klingons part of the universe. As we say opposite sides of the federation's side of the universe. Meaning there is no way either could have something to do with each other.
Closed Thread