Lt. Commander
# 21
02-13-2012, 06:14 AM
Where does this "Other side of the Universe" come from?

ST:TMP mentions "The far side of the galaxy" so, unless Klingon space has suddenly shifted to Coreward of the Federation, V'ger would not have passed through Klingon space if it was on a direct journey to Earth.

If V'ger went around the galaxy, collecting data, it would have saved our part until last, then it would have gone on a heading to Earth.

Then if it had finished on the other side of the Klingon Empire, it would have just gone straight through their territory, patterning ships as it went along.

V'ger could have spent 250 years on its journey, so I think that it would not have taken the direct route to Earth.

At the time of The Motion Picture, there was nothing mentioned about races on the far side of the galaxy.

The problem with the newer TV series is that there are massive groups in the Gamma and Delta Quadrants, who should have ended up with a visit from V'ger. We now have a situation of shoe-horning V'ger's journey into the newer stories.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-13-2012, 08:42 AM
V'ger is probably the angry remains of Windows Vista
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Or even Windows ME.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-14-2012, 09:21 AM
I read somewhere a while back that officially V'ger and Borg weren't conneceted, if this is true it is a shame as it would be a fairly obvious origin storey OR the Borg was the reason Borg returned the way it did.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhamaya
Where does this "Other side of the Universe" come from?

ST:TMP mentions "The far side of the galaxy" so, unless Klingon space has suddenly shifted to Coreward of the Federation, V'ger would not have passed through Klingon space if it was on a direct journey to Earth.

If V'ger went around the galaxy, collecting data, it would have saved our part until last, then it would have gone on a heading to Earth.

Then if it had finished on the other side of the Klingon Empire, it would have just gone straight through their territory, patterning ships as it went along.

V'ger could have spent 250 years on its journey, so I think that it would not have taken the direct route to Earth.

At the time of The Motion Picture, there was nothing mentioned about races on the far side of the galaxy.

The problem with the newer TV series is that there are massive groups in the Gamma and Delta Quadrants, who should have ended up with a visit from V'ger. We now have a situation of shoe-horning V'ger's journey into the newer stories.
In the Tos Episode "Naked Time" (I think) the Enterprise actually leves the edge of the Galaxy, explain how they managed that without going through other Empire territories.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-14-2012, 11:26 AM
I thought the whole V'ger story was good left as it stood.. I enjoyed the premise and everything that had to be explained WAS explained, leaving in a nice bit of mystery.... it didn't need to be tampered with.. BUT..

The novel 'Probe' (did Shatner write this one?) dealt with the origins of V'ger and also made the link between it and the Borg..... horribly tenuous and utterly unnecessary and ****ed all over the original storyline... So as far as I'm concerned V'ger has nothing to do with the Borg.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-15-2012, 03:07 AM
Storylines:

The V'ger story was written a long time before the cybernetic Borg were introduced.

The Borg were a then (pre cgi-boom 80's) less expensive alternative for a parasitic insectoid hive-mind species. Remember the scorpion-like parasites taking over Starfleet officers? This was supposed to be the prelude to what has been changed to be the Borg.
The whole Parasite storyline was subtly built up left and right across the season and then abandoned because accounting hold their breath in view of the costs at that time to create "full-body-non-humanoid-aliens" on TV.

So, canon-wise there was no connection between the two.
I too was a long time a big fan of the V'ger-Borg-Theory. But retconning something would be tricky given the background the Borg were given in VOY and already in TNG. So I'd rather continue to explore the neck-bug-storyline.
[btw: Was there a difference in the message being sent at the end of the episode? A difference from the original US to the dubbed German version i mean? I kind of remember Data saying something about a warning of humanity to the bug-mom?]

And: Given the load of machine/android/robot encounters in TOS, there are more then enough alternatives to choose from.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Yeaa about this, My response is the episode in the ENT series, the one with captain archer,

One of the episodes they had a huge battle and were baddly damaged, and needed repairs a passing cargo ship sent them to an Unmaned station. this station when they arrived had a dock to small, posion gass for air and they were about to leave.

But as they turned around the station ADAPTED for them. changing the lifesupport for humans, ASSIMULATING the language from the ships computers, And then changed the size of the dock to fit the NX-Enterprise.

when they got on it wanted 3 things, the one they decided on was warp fluid, and once the choice was made the Auto dock took the fluid off the ship.

during the course of the repairs a consle short circited killing the head enginer, with BaldBlad radiation or something

after getting ready to leave the CMO noticed that some sort of creature in the Cheif enginer's body was also dead but was well known for eating BladBlad radation they damaged their ship and went back

What they found after practicly tearing the dock apart were HUNDREDS of crew members from all races hooked up with a NUREL INTERFACE and when they rescued the Cheif the station attacked

When they destroyed it they headed back to starfleet

Cue cutaway shot of the station repairing itself,

I do belive this episode was a protoborg style origin story

link here http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Dead_Stop_(episode)
Ensign
# 29
07-11-2012, 11:42 AM
The only way V'Ger could have been the Borg creator is if it traveled back in time. According to Star Trek Voyager the Borg were around since 1400's.

Could the Borg helped V'Ger yes but V'Ger could not have created the Borg.
Career Officer
# 30
07-11-2012, 11:51 AM
The V'ger/Borg connection comes not from canon but from the "Shatnerverse" novels that William Shatner wrote about Kirk's return after the events and his death in "Generations". He tied the V'ger probe to the Borg in those novels. Howevr all of that is contradicted by canon sources such as STNG and Voyager.
Closed Thread