Lt. Commander
# 21
02-12-2012, 05:59 PM
The Kelvin's not an abomination. It's a dead sexy starship.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Probertīs rules plain make sense from an "engineering" point of view.
Something I always loved about his designs and why the usual type of designer on the show probably hated his guts.

About the only of the rules that we could(& obviously have to) explain away with technological advances is the "line of sight in-between nacelles" rule, Bortas and many others violate.

Single nacelles designs really do look like a one legged dog to me. And it didnīt surprise me one bit that they featured prominently in Abrahamīs stupid lens-flare īgasm.
They could be explained away with the Galaxy-X caveat of two nacelles in one housing, but they almost certainly wouldnīt be one of my favorite designs.
And that nacelle better be a fat mama similar to the standard Galaxy type, definitely not like the Kelvin type.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-12-2012, 06:51 PM
I created a design with that in mind. A larger Galaxy Nacelle on a futuristic Kelvin-type.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I created a design with that in mind. A larger Galaxy Nacelle on a futuristic Kelvin-type.
That's not that bad, but the thing is that secondary hull that houses the deflector might as well just be a 2nd nacel since it's almost a match. It would actually be pretty interesting to integrate the deflector somewhere else because of that. Just seems like it's reaching for a way to make one with 1 nacel when there's really no need to by taking one with 2 nacels and changing the 2nd nacel into something 'technically' different.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-12-2012, 07:49 PM
...but I liked the Kelvin.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-12-2012, 07:50 PM
I want a single nacelle Defient...
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
YES! I want to play a Star Trek video game where I am the captain of a Kelvin Class Star Ship on a mission of exploration!
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramierez View Post
That's not that bad, but the thing is that secondary hull that houses the deflector might as well just be a 2nd nacel since it's almost a match. It would actually be pretty interesting to integrate the deflector somewhere else because of that. Just seems like it's reaching for a way to make one with 1 nacel when there's really no need to by taking one with 2 nacels and changing the 2nd nacel into something 'technically' different.
But thats a Kelvin-configuration with the Secondary Hull on the upper pylon with a single (dual core) warp nacelle on the bottom. :p
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
When Gene created this wonderful universe he set up some rules. And one of them was all ships had to have an even number of nacelles. CBS has STO following these rules to the letter with the only exception being the questionably canon Dreadnaught. Remember that the Kelvin is the property of Paramount, not CBS. And while there have been a few kit-bashes, that had one nacelle, they we always used as battle debris (and most after Gene's death).

I'm afraid you will have to convince CBS to allow those type of ships, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Actually Bob your wrong on that. He did not set those rules till sometime just before next gen came out. He actually athorized the Starfleet Technical manual back in like 71 or 72. in that book there where two single nacelle ship designs and a 3 nacelle design called the dreadnaught. hence the reason we refer to the gal x as a dreadnaught.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I have to agree here. Unlike other single-nacelle designs we've seen, the Kelvin worked. It had a very distinctive profile, and an attractive symmetry. Plus, it did a very good job of looking appropriate for its timeline. Its design was successful at everything it had to do, with the added bonus of being a ship that was just fun to watch.

As was pointed out before, a lot of the single-nacelle designs we're aware of were created pretty much just to fill up the starship wreckage at Wolf 359. They were kitbashes of store-bought models, and there was really only so much they could do there. One should really take those ships with a grain of salt.