Lt. Commander
# 1 Various Ability Rank Questions
02-12-2012, 04:27 PM
There are some abilities I'm not able to really grasp what rank increases of the same skill do. Figured I would toss them up as I remember, or run into, them and see if I could get some good, solid answers here.

To be clear, what I'm looking for is the difference between Ranks I, II, and III (assuming they all have them).

Beam: Fire At Will - Description is pretty vague as to whatever is increased with further ranks of this.

Directed Energy Modulation - I'm pretty positive the increase is related to the amount of shield penetration granted, but I'm much more curious as to exactly how much of an increase it gets per rank.

Tactical Team - Does it give any bonuses to how fast (aside from circumventing user input delay) when adjusting the shields or the transfer rate of power from other shield facings to the facing under fire?

Reverse Shield Polarity - No clue what other ranks could improve on this as I was originally under the impression it only had one rank.

Torpedo: Spread - Damage increase I'm certain, but does it increase anything else?

That's all that I can come up with off the top of my head. My question extends to visuals as well, more of identification when it is used against me, over anything else. Any and all differences if possible. Trying to wrap my head around the system and I've read a lot of good points and discovered ones of my own.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT III: Torpedo: Spread, Beam: Fire At Will, Directed Energy Modulation, and EDIT II's Brace For Impact were all answered. Thanks again.

I also wish to add a bit more to this.

I know that Engineering Team, Auxiliary Power to Structure, and Hazard Emitters repair hull and that this increases with Rank, however, what I'm trying to understand is why the values listed in the descriptions are so low. If I didn't know better I'd say they were useless. As an example, Engineering Team I says: +64 Hull Points. In practice, it's far more then that. Why and how can I go about reading into these abilities in a way that I can understand the actual application to better compare them?

EDIT II: Brace For Impact's kinetic damage reduction applies to shields or just hits to the hull?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Torpedo spread is an easy one, it's more damage, balanced to be a percentage (80-85% if I recall) of high yield's damage at the same rank.

Fire at will is also damage - rate of fire and hitting two random targets per beam stays the same.

According to stowiki, DEM gets an extra 20 shield penetration.

RSP I don't actually know what changes. I'm pretty sure it's one of those skills like tactical team where the part people actually take it for doesn't scale.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-12-2012, 05:55 PM
[quote=hevach;4016772]
According to stowiki, DEM gets an extra 20 shield penetration.
/QUOTE]

DEM isn't bonus shield penetration.it hadn't been that way since Season 1. DEM gives a straight extra ddmage to the hull for each damage tic. DEM III at 125 weapon power gives +50 hull damage. I believe that distance to target also affects the damage. At close ranged, I can get 150 pts per damage tic.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the answers and clarification. Looks like the tooltip on DEM is messed up. The tooltip for DEM I stated +.11 shield penetration.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Reverse Shield Polarity duration goes up with rank.

I'm not 100% sure of this since I'm not in game, but going off the top of my head, I believe the time is extended by 2 seconds per rank. 6 seconds at rank 1, 8 at rank 2, and 10 at rank 3. (I reserve the right to be wrong about the numbers here.)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurryhunter View Post
I know that Engineering Team, Auxiliary Power to Structure, and Hazard Emitters repair hull and that this increases with Rank, however, what I'm trying to understand is why the values listed in the descriptions are so low. If I didn't know better I'd say they were useless. As an example, Engineering Team I says: +64 Hull Points. In practice, it's far more then that. Why and how can I go about reading into these abilities in a way that I can understand the actual application to better compare them?

EDIT II: Brace For Impact's kinetic damage reduction applies to shields or just hits to the hull?
that's probably because you're viewing them on the ground. Funny stuff happens with space stuff tooltips when viewed on the ground.
best bet for comparisons is probably sto wiki

also, any damage reduction (e.g. phaser, kinetic, energy, plasma, ect) only applies to the hull UNLESS IT SPECIFICALLY says it reduces damage to shields
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-13-2012, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the information. All of this is definitely good to know.