Lt. Commander
# 1 Is crafting worth it?
02-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Hello,

I am new to STO. This game is huge and so complicated. Ive been researching builds, items, skills and abilities for the last week and still learn new things everyday. I am level 30 Science right now. I eventually want to get the end game gear like Aegis, borg, and MK X++ stuff.

Thats going to cost a lot of money. I know i can craft it too. But which is the better deal. I have a lot of data samples and particle traces already and Im bound to get more by the time Ill be the rank to use the high Mark gear. For the crafters out there. Did you buy up all the red data samples you could to make schematics? Or was it just a "as-you-play" thing where you craft what you had in the bank? Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-12-2012, 06:41 PM
For my own Sci crafter I simply acquired all the various data samples as I played and saved them in my Bank for things I might eventually want to Craft. STO is a fairly simple game and there's really not a lot of need to craft gear prior to Admiral unless you're really into PvP. If you're just a PvEer you can get by quite nicely just using white gear and whatever drops you get doing Mission. I only play on Elite mode now and I've never had to have a purple anything while doing PvE. So you really don't need to spend a lot of time or Dilithium crafting lower level gear, IMO.
Lt. Commander
Keep in mind the following general rules and you can make crafting....even dilithium bound crafting, worthwhile and profitable:

1) As presently constituted, Crafting only makes sense for higher level characters....meaning endgame Vice Admirals. Lower level characters can technically spend time and dilithium to craft even number marked items to give their characters a slight edge in PVE but this advantage will only last as long as that player remains at the rank the item was crafted. e.g. if you craft a purple MKII item, the advantage of using that item evaporates as soon as your character gets promoted to Lt. Commander. Then the player will want MK IV purple items...not worth it.

2) This does not mean that lower level characters should not craft at all....If a player wants to Max out their crafting skill, I've found the best thing to do is to craft schematics at lower levels and store them until you Max your crafting skill and reach VA50. If you create 150 schematics of various kinds, you will build your crafting skill to 1500. At that point you can craft the three items of the Aegis set (50 points each) which will bring your crafting skill level to the Max of 1650....and you have all those schematics to play with to make MKXI purple items.

3) As you note in your question, you can buy red data samples on the exchange....deals are hard to find....you don't want to pay more than 1000 per sample....especially if you are a new player wioth no ec. If you don't have cash, spend time in the Delta Volanis sector exploring and gathering data samples....you can gather the required samples and gain dilithium at the same time with the strange new worlds daily in a remarkably short amount of time.

4) Crafting now requires a large input of dilithium. You can defray this dilithum tax a bit by crafting during Cryptic's frequent "Let's craft" time during which you can get a 20 percent discount off of the dilithium tax.

5) You may not have all the required materials to make the items you want....but don't worry....this can actually be an advantage sometimes. Some clever crafters engage in a sort of Star Trek crafting arbitrage, making expensive items, selling them on the exchange and buying the exact item that they really want for less for energy credits.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-12-2012, 08:35 PM
The best part of this game is the FE Replay system. Just go through each mission you can do and see if you like or need the reward. This works all the way up to max level, so you really never need to craft anything. You can easily be an asset to a team in STF missions with blue mission gear, you can probably do it in white regular gear if you know what to do on the missions.

I wanted to max crafting so I just saved all my data samples in the bank and also the rares and made purple stuff which usually nets 50 points. Sometimes I could use the thing, sometimes it was lower level. I think this is the most economical way of getting to max crafting level. You will need schematics as well, and with the Duty Office system you really do not have to take time out to scan anomolies.

Just make sure to craft when the "Let's Craft" thing is in session and if you want to do scanning, and just about every mission has anomolies, do that when the "Multi-Phasic Event" is going on.

At max level you can craft the Aegis set which is a space set of shields, deflector and engines which is actually very good. I think it is bind on acquire, so you cannot buy it.

And once you are able to craft the Mark XI gear it will also cost Dilithium, which stinks. Even worse, you can actually buy some of the same stuff for just dilithium.

The road block is that you can only refine so many dilithium in a day.

There are some nice items to craft, but not a lot.

Supposedly they are going to do a total crafting revamp in a few months or so. If they added a bunch of one shot recipes, or set recipes for both ground and space, and added a revers engineering system similar to SWTOR or even the ability to "strip" effects off one item and bind them to another...well, then you have a really nice crafting system.

But...who knows.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-12-2012, 08:46 PM
As a tool to have better gear...yes...a slight edge in pve...

As a profession or class unto itself...no not really.

Can you make money? Some.......but the way they implemented crafting in STO is totally alien to me......in other MMOS you can harvest anf learn recipes and quest to get better recipes....body drops have better recipes...all kinds of things...not so here....

In the earliest days of crafting there was a market for the rare drop particles...people would barter tachyon for 20 mineral etc...

Now those particles are trash commons received from DOff's ....

IMO they really made doing daily exploration quests with scan 5 particles very useless as they did with the aid the planets...perhaps they will phase those out and revamp them.
Lt. Commander
# 6 Aegis set crafting....
02-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koboldfodder View Post
At max level you can craft the Aegis set which is a space set of shields, deflector and engines which is actually very good. I think it is bind on acquire, so you cannot buy it.
No..You can buy all the components of the Aegis set on the exchange....for about 3.7 million ec the last time I checked. Like most other starship components they are "bind on equip." You should craft them when your crafting level reaches the required 1500. Doing so will max your crafting score to 1650.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koboldfodder View Post
And once you are able to craft the Mark XI gear it will also cost Dilithium, which stinks. Even worse, you can actually buy some of the same stuff for just dilithium.
This is true....the "advantage" of crafting, however, is that Cryptic gives crafters a 30-40% "discount" below the regular dilithium price for the same items. That means that in the Cryptic model, all of that scanning, gathering and storing of data samples and particle traces is only worth that much....slightly more...about 50% of the regular price during "let's craft" periods.
Lt. Commander
# 8 Making "Money" with Crafting
02-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by garravesh View Post
As a profession or class unto itself...no not really.

Can you make money? Some.......but the way they implemented crafting in STO is totally alien to me......in other MMOS you can harvest anf learn recipes and quest to get better recipes....body drops have better recipes...all kinds of things...not so here....

In the earliest days of crafting there was a market for the rare drop particles...people would barter tachyon for 20 mineral etc...

Now those particles are trash commons received from DOff's ....

IMO they really made doing daily exploration quests with scan 5 particles very useless as they did with the aid the planets...perhaps they will phase those out and revamp them.
Once you max out all of your toons and all of their ships, you can actually make "Millions" of Energy credits on the exchange if you are a max crafter willing to grind your daily allotment of dilithium...or having a steady supply of dilithium donors willing to tip you with U.U.M and C.U.M. for crafting services.

The exchange is not a very efficient market and there are numerous pricing errors for an industrious and clever crafter to take advantage of. Buy low sell high...simple but effective and one of the Rules of Acquisition...right?
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusTong View Post
This is true....the "advantage" of crafting, however, is that Cryptic gives crafters a 30-40% "discount" below the regular dilithium price for the same items. That means that in the Cryptic model, all of that scanning, gathering and storing of data samples and particle traces is only worth that much....slightly more...about 50% of the regular price during "let's craft" periods.
And you can also find someone selling unreplicatable peices if you have more Energy Credits that Dilithium.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Do it for the Aegis set and maybe for any consoles you might need if you lack the credits to get the more expensive ones on the exchange.

Some of the weapons are also not that terrible so it's worth a look into (no anti-borg weapons but still some good ones).
Closed Thread