Lt. Commander
# 11
02-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
I agree with the OP, actually.

Closing down a major hub for 5 weeks would really make people care! And notice! And it would make the universe feel more dynamic.

It's probably too late... but what a cool thing this would have been.
It'd break leveling progression as a Fed as there are missions that use the social hub zone for their quests.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
I agree with the OP, actually.

Closing down a major hub for 5 weeks would really make people care!
Clearly you don't know the general MMO playerbase that well. The whining would far outweigh the praise.

Just three words: WoW, Zombie Event
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-12-2012, 11:09 PM
I would agree to that if the series was finished. So you are fully capable to say "I either continue with the story arc to free DS9 or I don't". Right now the option is not given. You cannot continue with the series till all episodes are released.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stararmy View Post
I agree with OP.

Also, it didn't make sense that we passed a gun store and couldn't arm the diplomats (or that only a tactical guy could pick up a gun to give them).
I interpreted it as only a Tactical officer has the know-how to quickly instruct the diplomats (in the middle of a battle no less) in how to use a weapon that they may be unfamiliar with. The Andorian captain is the only one out of the four who would be familiar with handling a Starfleet-issue rifle, after all--the others are instead accustomed to the weapons issued by their own governments. Being able to pick up and use a weapon yourself is one thing, but teaching that skill in a hurry while under enemy fire is something else entirely.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiClari View Post
I interpreted it as only a Tactical officer has the know-how to quickly instruct the diplomats (in the middle of a battle no less) in how to use a weapon that they may be unfamiliar with. The Andorian captain is the only one out of the four who would be familiar with handling a Starfleet-issue rifle, after all--the others are instead accustomed to the weapons issued by their own governments. Being able to pick up and use a weapon yourself is one thing, but teaching that skill in a hurry while under enemy fire is something else entirely.
By the way, the Gorn ambassador seems to be quite happy without gun by playing hammer with the jem hadar being his nails
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Some posters have brought up a couple of good points that I never considered as far as level progression goes. And I will say, yeah you have a good point. But I would still argue to make this change. Suspend the cardassian story for the duration of the FE series release. We're only talking about 5 weeks here. And honestly, most players are already at level cap by the time they reach the cardassian story arc. Let them skip it and go play the borg sector, then they can double back in March. The FE is an event, make the game world feel that event on a grand scale. These FE should be pulling out all the stops.

Would I be happier right now if Bajor was set up as the hub with the STF store, ect there. Yeah it's getting there, it would help my immersion. I wouldn't be forced to visit DS9 to use the STF store in the middle of this story arch. I could live with that. But I still think shutting down DS9 would be better. To us this is a real time event. For everyone who plays the game, the dominion has just taken over DS9, that should be what is concerned in cardassian space right now, I say suspend the story arch, shut down DS9 until this is all over. Yes it may temporarily break some missions, but I think that is a small price to pay.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-12-2012, 11:30 PM
In theory I agree with the OP. It would be fantastic. And it's not like there aren't other hubs that could take up some of the slack. What about K7? Move some of the stuff over there temporarily. (Or permanently, since it would make it even MORE convenient for the Klingon players to access.)

But that would require them to spend more work on content rather than spending most of their time coming up with ways to foist more lock-boxes and spam messages advertising same - which are totally immersion-breaking of this new FE BTW. (Not to mention just -barely- skirting the legality of the gambling laws in this country, if not stepping over the line.)

It's a lovely idea. But it would require a company that actually cared about the IP rather than seeing it as a way to bilk the fans. (And I'm talking exclusively about PWE here. I think it's very likely that the people at Cryptic proper DO care about the IP and are fans themselves in large part. But their hands are tied by their bean-counting masters. Must be frustrating working there these days.)
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Yeah. Given the futuristic weaponry and being unfamiliar with weapon settings (assuming that most Federation weapons have a setting other than "kill") it would take someone very good with weapons to teach someone else, while under fire, how to use a weapon without overloading it or something.

As for DS9 being shut down, while I'd personally like it, it's a case of damned if you do or damned if you don't in terms of immersion.

Assuming not all of the episodes from the Klingon Front to the Undine one takes place in like a day, it makes no sense why other people would be locked out of DS9 for the event (as in the timeline, so to speak, the events of The 2800 hasn't happened yet if they're stil in the earlier DS9 missions), and, and this is just me saying it without knowing anything of the coding of the game, it might be extremely difficult to specify specific lockouts aside from the faction-wide ones. it might be simple to do, it might not, I dunno.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-12-2012, 11:32 PM
I agree with your general idea...a lost moment to make something more grand. Would have been a major wake up call across the quadrants and in game play.

Sadly, there is none to reflect that, cause there wasn't enough time to possiblely bring this about. If ever thought upon.

As always, let this be another learning curve, when you have this stupendous event come into being. How far the effects reach must be pondered. How does everything change...were the proper resources avaiable to make this happen.

The most lovely to see on a forum or a podcast or whatever medium to witness such a thing.

Will be this....

Holie %#$#@@@@)$(**@@*@)@)(@)@()@()@(@!!@#$#@@

Everyone would know what has to be done...there be less talk and more doing.

But alas, this a dream lastily...and dreams have a habit of coming true. One day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam062307 View Post
So I just finished playing the latest FE and I enjoyed it. The sudden attack, fighting on the station, and then actually having to retreat and losing. It was a nice touch. I loved how the episode ended with that female vorta saying DS9 is ours. We're told that Bajor has been set up as the command station until they get DS9 back. That's awesome, could we actually be seeing in-game story affecting the game!

NOPE...complete let down. When have a loading screen to get to bajor to talk to a guy, who basically says "mroe coming soon" and then you warp out to another loading screen. Then I go right back to DS9 to trade in some STF gear. COME ON MAN. This would have been the perfect opportunity to wow your players, instead we get another ********** effort. What you should have done is this.......

When you warp into bajor you encounter a "battle group omega" type system with many fed/klingon ships preparing for battle. Just like in BGO different ships do different things (bank, exchange, mail) Make one of the ships have an interior that has an Engineer, Doctor, Tailor, ship master, STF store, consumable vendor (this you could copy and paste over to the real BGO). Then (here's the kicker) CLOSE DOWN DS9. Its been taken over by the dominion, why should we be allowed to go back. This FE is a 5 week long event, shut it down until we take DS9 back in the story. This could have been something really cool you could do, make the game change based on the story. What a great opportunity to do something awesome and different. Opportunity lost!
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-13-2012, 02:35 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way and was let down by the ending of the FE.