Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-13-2012, 08:05 AM
I can't get ANYTHING past you guys today.

Okay, maybe a different angle. I like the wormhole idea. But suppose instead of that we have a BIGGER explosion. Forcing the entire universe to undergo massive acceleration away from the moon at somewhere between 50 and 100 km/s/Mpc. Sounds about right.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-13-2012, 08:20 AM
They actually did recently remake Space 1999, it was called "Stargate Universe". A group of under-prepared humans on a doomed mission, forced uncontrollably away from their homes and loved ones on a one-way course to the unknown.. each episode focussing on trying to survive the latest threat, and perhaps, just perhaps, to find a safe place to llive, or to find a way home. Ironically, SGU also only lasted two seasons. (Just for fun, compare the SGU episode S01e05 "Light" with Space 1999's S01e03 "Black Sun".)

Funny, that also seems to be the plot of Voyager.. and with minor alterations, Gilligan's Island.

I watched V this last go round, but wasn't a huge fan. But after seeing what happens with truly engaging Sci-Fi on TV lately with SGU, Defying Gravity, and even Fringe (which may be cancelled this season)... I don't have a lot of hope for the show surviving very long.

But then, the original Space 1999 itself only lasted 2 seasons.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Its unfortunate that the 'buisness' seems less encouraging of new sci-fi shows (and I'm not talking about the garbage they show on sci-fi channel). Just like the big screen, the safebet is often in what has worked before, or what has survived as a cult classic.

I do enjoy them, but I'd rather enjoy really new sci-fi more... if that makes sense. I guess for those who never saw the originals, its pretty new new. ^^
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir-Cedric View Post
I just hope they don't screw up the concept, we do need a good scifi TV show.
Ahem, there is at least one good Sci-Fi show out there right now. Hint, hint.

Check your avatar, and mine too
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-13-2012, 09:17 AM
If they do Space: 1999, they have to keep the intro. That track is just so win.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
Didn't V do very poorly? Same guys doesn't actually instill confidence.
V's trouble spot was NBC, who bumped V in favor of the Olympics mid season, without warning.
People who wanted to watch V, changed the channel when the Olympics were on instead.
V's ratings AFTER the Olympics had plummeted. To NBC that ment failed show, not, "OOPS, we killed it ourselves".
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-13-2012, 09:39 AM
I loved Space 1999 as a kid, and the one eyes spaghetti monsters gave me nightmares for years!

I never watched the V reeboot, but if that didn't work, I can't see Space 1999 working either. Whatever next? Terrahawks?

Please, leave them alone, I want to remember them as they were (probably why I never watched the V re-boot!)
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-13-2012, 09:41 AM
I thought what ended up being "V's" final episode was pretty killer (pun intended) I think I was slack jawed from al teh twist and turns seen durin gthat lat bit of programming, and at least they got Marc Singer's Cameo in, before it ended.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losbullitt View Post
If they do Space: 1999, they have to keep the intro. That track is just so win.
Which version, the first or second series. The second is the best IMO
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-13-2012, 09:45 AM
After a little more research, I see that the guys who made the "V" remake also did the "Bionic Woman" remake, so their track record is not great, but with that being said, at least it's an upward trend.