Lt. Commander
# 11
02-13-2012, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
You're thinking about everything as though it was linear. It's really not. Phasing out DS 9 will only screw up the other 19 hours a week people are playing Missions which has nothing to do with the FE.
I think the Prophets may agree with you on this one!

Cosmic_One for Emissary! :p

In all fairness; it's a great concept (that becomes overly complex due to game mechanics as well as real life play time) but STO has been around for just over 2 yrs (real time) now and in game it's still 2409 and the developers often remind us that the in game date/time never changes.

That's an interesting topic though (no intention to derail the thread but think this is worthy info to note and is relative to the topic)...

In the Season 5 Dev Diary #6 (click) the Captainís Log (Recorded on Stardate 86927.78 by Captain Va'Kel Shon, U.S.S. Belfast) is typed up for all to read.

Using this site (here: http://www.hillschmidt.de/gbr/sternenzeit.htm) the stardate is calculated as December 5, 2409, Time: 15:21:10...

In the Season 5 Dev Diary #22 (click) the following is stated reguarding the Dominion Attack Fighters.

Quote:
Quantum dating puts its construction somewhere around stardate 51133
That stardate is calculated as February 18, 2374, Time: 13:04:48...

So in summary the games story is progressing (as stated above 2409 is nearly over, roll on 2410) but the game is linear which means that when a player starts a new character they start at the precise time in game that everyone else did 2 yrs ago; and when ever the character starts a mission, they start that mission at the same in game time everyone else does.

Essentially the games story revolves around a single character (that's you), the star of the show but the game also has to compensate for everyone else playing the game and does so by never changing; only adding.

Correct me if I'm wrong...
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-13-2012, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot-Cancer View Post
It would've been cool, but you have to remember that while this FE takes place chronologically after all the existing missions, you can play it from level 9. Would make no sense for a player who's going to have to play the Cardassian missions in the next 5 weeks to have the DS9 social zone locked off to them.

"Yeah, you can't visit DS9 cos the Dominion control it. But you can still accept DS9 related missions from Captain Kurland." Would be just as immersion breaking as being able to go visit DS9 like nothing's happened.

That's assuming it's even techincally possible for them do that without breaking half the game.
who says this FE takes place chronologically after the others? if it did then why doesnt the Defari ambassador not recognize players who havent played through the Breen episodes yet? if this takes place chronologically after them, then he hsould recognize you even if you havent played them yet.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkari
who says this FE takes place chronologically after the others? if it did then why doesnt the Defari ambassador not recognize players who havent played through the Breen episodes yet? if this takes place chronologically after them, then he hsould recognize you even if you havent played them yet.
I wasn't aware he didn't recognise players who hadn't played the Breen episodes, since the only characters I've done it with have done the Breen eps. (Although shouldn't he recognise you if you've done the diplo mission on Starbase 39? He certainly remembers that at the start of the Breen FE)

But it still makes sense that this takes place after most of the existing PvE content, even if the comment about 'encountering the Borg' you get in the mission intro is taken as a reference to the sector block invasions only. If you've only done a hanful missions against the Klingons, then why are you important enough to be at the conference, especially if Starfleet have other representatives already?

That said, it wouldn't make a difference to the fact that locking off players who are doing or have to do the regular Cardassian-front missions from visiting DS9 once they've done this FE is just as immersion breaking as allowing players who have done the FE & Regular Cardassian missions to visit DS9.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot-Cancer View Post
I wasn't aware he didn't recognise players who hadn't played the Breen episodes, since the only characters I've done it with have done the Breen eps. (Although shouldn't he recognise you if you've done the diplo mission on Starbase 39? He certainly remembers that at the start of the Breen FE).
Ran through it before with a level 26 who hadent done the breen episodes yet and havent done any diplo missions with him, he didnt recognize me.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkari
I'm fairly sure he does. He makes a comment like 'Oh thank heavens you're here!'

Wait, that's 3PO. Anyway, it's something like that.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-13-2012, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post

Essentially the games story revolves around a single character (that's you), the star of the show but the game also has to compensate for everyone else playing the game and does so by never changing; only adding.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly sure that's how most MMOs work. Though I believe they advance their own timelines via expansion packs and the like.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-13-2012, 07:26 AM
What I meant by non-linear is that players can do the Missions in whatever order they wish to do them. I might Skip the entire Klingon Front and only do them when I am VA rather then Lieutenant. Likewise I might be level 10 and doing the FE before I've ever done any of the other FEs.

The reason it doesn't make sense to lock out DS 9 is because the FE isn't the only thing going on in the game. We're in the middle of this big 2800 invasion but we decide to go off and deal with the Dividians rather then the Dominion. We decide to go to Minos Taurus and deal with Klingons stomping on Tribbles - and even have the Defiant there to help us with that. If the only thing you're doing is the FE then yes, it makes sense; but it doesn't make sense in a game canon perspective because we don't stop playing and only do the FE for the next 5 weeks.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-13-2012, 07:42 AM
They can track your mission history.So, iIn my opinion, what they should have done is create a DS9 instance for those of us that are level 50 and have completed the first episode that allows us to fight the Jem'Hadar ships indefinitely. We can't retake DS9, but we can have fun blowing up Jem'Hadar.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Quote:
This has nothing to do with not being able to Phase. This has to do with the fact that the FE takes 5 weeks to play-out in real time but might only encompass 3 days in game time. People don't only play the game on Saturday during the FE. They play every day, and quite often they will have other Missions they're doing which require them to go to DS 9 - and those Missions will have very different Stardates then the FE.

You're thinking about everything as though it was linear. It's really not. Phasing out DS 9 will only screw up the other 19 hours a week people are playing Missions which has nothing to do with the FE.
this. phasing has absolutely nothing to do with it