Lt. Commander
Hey! All you people saying "They can't shut down DS9, it would break everything!" Well, duh, have you ever heard of PHASING? THAT is the opportunity that has been lost. If you have completed the mission, the galaxy level graphic of DS9 is swapped out for one with battle damage and dominion ships near it, and you can't access it anymore. Further, all of its functionality is transferred to the new Bajoran staging area that SHOULD have launched with this FE.

Not doing this was missing a huge, obvious, opportunity to grow the game, which is what FEs are all about! I mean damn how hard can it be to lock a certain player out of an area based on whether a bit is set for mission completion but other mission not completed (the future FEs) and then replace the DS9 graphic for players based on those same bits. Sounds a lot like stuff they do already! Weee!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-13-2012, 05:57 AM
This has nothing to do with not being able to Phase. This has to do with the fact that the FE takes 5 weeks to play-out in real time but might only encompass 3 days in game time. People don't only play the game on Saturday during the FE. They play every day, and quite often they will have other Missions they're doing which require them to go to DS 9 - and those Missions will have very different Stardates then the FE.

You're thinking about everything as though it was linear. It's really not. Phasing out DS 9 will only screw up the other 19 hours a week people are playing Missions which has nothing to do with the FE.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-13-2012, 06:03 AM
I to thought about this after completing the new FE; and came to the conclusion that in order for Cryptic to accomplish this, they would need to move certain NPC's from DS9 to another location.

For example the STF vendors could have been moved to Drozana Station temporarily.

I would have liked Cryptic to do this; perhaps it's not to late, but they'd need quite some convincing to go ahead with this now the first FE has already been released.

My personal advise; provide constructive posts describing why it should happen or why it shouldn't happen.

P.S. For all we know; Cryptic could have plans to have us retake the station by the next episode...
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-13-2012, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
P.S. For all we know; Cryptic could have plans to have us retake the station by the next episode...
Bajor will fall next then we will need to take back bajor and the station before casing the domion back into the wormhole and nearly restarting the Dominion war.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-13-2012, 06:42 AM
It would've been cool, but you have to remember that while this FE takes place chronologically after all the existing missions, you can play it from level 9. Would make no sense for a player who's going to have to play the Cardassian missions in the next 5 weeks to have the DS9 social zone locked off to them.

"Yeah, you can't visit DS9 cos the Dominion control it. But you can still accept DS9 related missions from Captain Kurland." Would be just as immersion breaking as being able to go visit DS9 like nothing's happened.

That's assuming it's even techincally possible for them do that without breaking half the game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-13-2012, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot-Cancer View Post
It would've been cool, but you have to remember that this FE takes place chronologically after all the existing missions, but you can play it from level 9. Would make no sense for a player who's going to have to play the Cardassian missions in the next 5 weeks to have the DS9 social zone locked off to them.

"Yeah, you can't visit DS9 cos the Dominion control it. But you can still accept DS9 related missions from Captain Kurland." Would be just as immersion breaking as being able to go visit DS9 like nothing's happened.

That's assuming it's even techincally possible for them do that without breaking half the game.
Only valid point I have heard...that wouldn't be easily fixable (i.e. other people saying you need to go to DS9 for this or that random mission and those would break for people who had done this FE, that is fixable by just moving the NPC that you need to interact with, in most cases) But in THIS instance, the entire cardassian line is based around DS9...so yeah that would be difficult.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-13-2012, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes01101 View Post
Only valid point I have heard...that wouldn't be easily fixable (i.e. other people saying you need to go to DS9 for this or that random mission and those would break for people who had done this FE, that is fixable by just moving the NPC that you need to interact with, in most cases) But in THIS instance, the entire cardassian line is based around DS9...so yeah that would be difficult.
The only way I can think of getting around that would be to lock off the FE until after the Cardassian front missions have been completed or skipped, and then not allow players to replay them for the duration of the FE. But given that you can't start (or even skip) those until level 40, that's too prohibitive a level limit on the FE.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-13-2012, 06:58 AM
While the game is designed to be non-linear, our character's journeys IS linear in that everything is assumed to happen in the order you do it. So, if a character does the FE, then DS9 was attacked and it doesn't make sense that it's still open for visits.

I support the phasing idea, even if it means cutting off certain NPCs and quests for 5 weeks.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-13-2012, 06:59 AM
At the end of the day, I can see why they wouldn't want to close off DS9. It's a lot of work to do and opens up more possibilities to break things.

I would liked to have seen them open up Bajor as a social zone post fall of DS9, however. That's really sticking me in the craw as an immersion breaker. Let's face it, this isn't BioWare and it isn't Blizzard- Cryptic has enough people to go just far enough to meet a some expectation, but not far enough to actually be fulfilling.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-13-2012, 07:06 AM
Letting the dominion take DS9 is the real fault. You don't let major social and mission hubs fall under foreign hostile control. It just breaks too much if you really block access, and if you don't do it your new mission looks quite silly.