Lt. Commander
# 11
02-13-2012, 09:36 AM
I'd have liked it better if they didn't tell us so much about it before hand, knew the dominion was gonna pop out, so no surprise there. Otherwise, it was a decent first part mission, shoot, nothing ever really happens if the first part of any of the multi part stories in Trek anyway, some fighting to grab your interest but mostly just "gab gab gab" the whole time.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
I think the biggest problem with Second Wave is that we went into it with months of knowing the Dominion would be coming out of the wormhole. Half the mission is building up for an "Oh ****!" moment, but when they advertised the **** a year ago, there was no surprise, so the lead up ends up just being a delay.
Added to that people have been building up expectations for the mission to a ridiculously high level; I doubt anything short of Spielberg at his best would have satisfied a lot of people.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-13-2012, 09:38 AM
i just kind feel like "we waited a year for this?"

i know its just the first episode and all, and i'm hoping it gets better

but so far, meh

all the other FE's started out stronger, IMO
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-13-2012, 09:50 AM
pretty much loved it aside from a few minor issues.

i agree that this would have been much better as a surprise. certain moments, such as the cut scene with the dominion coming through the wormhole would have had so much more impact if we did not know it was coming. knowing that the stations is captured after reading the blurb for episode 2 also gave the game away.

its a little like watching a film to a book you have read. the film might be great but its not showing you anything you dont already know.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-13-2012, 09:50 AM
I enjoyed it for the most part.

However it defiantly does suffer from a bit of a time warp. It is obvious the story was designed to come into play last fall when the borg invasion stuff had started, and was likely intended to be a lead into the current STF/anti borg task force being based on DS9. Since the FE was delayed but the invasion stuff was put in place anyway this kinda feels a bit dated.

It is also obvious that the VO work was the last thing completed on this, and was likely done with a "seat of the pants" mentality. They likely did not have the resources or time (thanks to the F2P conversion) to secure fully professional talent. But didn't want to short us on the VO, so they turned to the community for help. The voices I heard sound like some of the various STO podcast and DJ people I have heard, which is great, but explains the overall feel of the VO work as being a bit rushed.

But honestly The only really negative thing that bothers me about this FE are the mission resolution issues when you are working it as a team. It is extremely easy to break the code and cause the mission to be non-completable with a team.

If cryptic goes back and fixes that I think this FE will be fine. But if they ignore it in favor of the next shiny thing coming up, then it will remain one of the weakest of the FE's.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-13-2012, 10:00 AM
I really liked it. I think a lot of the people complaining about the Scottish accent haven't actually heared real Scottish people before. I saw someone say that they thought it was more Northern Irish - utterly baffling how anyone could think that!

If anything, the Commander's accent was one of the more plausible Scottish accents I've come across in a game for some time.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-13-2012, 10:04 AM
The poll is blank for me. I can see the selector buttons and vote button but no choices.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-13-2012, 10:05 AM
"Meh" is for "Mediocre"

Apart from the few shining moments, such as DOff integration, it was a tiresome cliched slog. (And for transparency, the first FE I didn't immediately play at launch time.)

We'll probably see DOff integration included with every FE along with the requisite Class and Diplomacy options. Would be nice to see other DOff categories come into play in future episodes though.

Not bad though. Nothing that deliberately sets out to offend. (Although I'm surprised our more Conservative community members didn't balk at being chatted up by the bloke in the bar.)

It's just not worth waiting a year for. And despite the best efforts to unify the story through the entire game, I doubt there'll be anything lasting beyond a few new trinkets, another underused social zone, and a bridge officer.

And I certainly wouldn't say I hated it. Hate implies passion, and I lost all passion for this game months ago.
Lt. Commander
# 19 ***spoliers***
02-13-2012, 10:17 AM
I thought Andrews sounded a bit like GMTV presenter Lorraine Kelly. Knowing that Lorraine has appeared in a Scottish fan made trek show (Star Trek: Intrepid) I'm sure she would have loved to do a voice over for STO.

Andrews was the only likable character in the episode.

It would have made sense to have an optional mission to go and rescue her. It would have made more sense than some of the other options on there, like getting someone a drink!

It's a shame she died of fright when that Jemmy walked up behind her and she fell to the ground. I hope she just passed out and isn't really dead.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-13-2012, 10:19 AM
I voted "Bad".

I might have voted "Meh" but there were some glaring things I just could not overlook.

1. For being in production over a year, this just felt like a weak attempt to play on DS9's popularity with the newer Trek fans. They couldn't come up with a better story? They had to resort to a callback on episodes from DS9 Season 6 and 7?

2. Once again, for being in production a year, someone forgot to run the spell check on the mission text. Typos were found.

3. DS9's surrounding space in mission, doesn't match the surrounding space of the non-mission DS9.

4. The mission is of no consequence. Once the mission is over, you can still go to DS9. So it's like it doesn't even happen. The consequences aren't felt by the player.

5. Commander Andrews has to be the first Starfleet officer EVER to be killed by a mere glance.

My feeling is Cryptic could have done better. Much better. Especially with a full year to work on it.

The Romulan FE was done in like 3-4 months time. Yet, it's overall quality and likeability is significantly higher than this, which took a year to make.