single cannon
turret

dual beam bank
beam bank

i think we need to add a few more choices-
heavy single cannon

heavy dual beam banks
heavy beam bank
point defense array (think like a turret- low low damage but 360 protection)

have the power costs of the heavy weapons go up and the power costs of the turrets and point defense arrays be slightly higher then the normal (regualr awway and single cannons being the basis for normal) weapons.

thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-12-2012, 06:31 AM
8 heavy beam banks on a cruiser sounds delicious.
/Signed.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-12-2012, 07:08 AM
I would like to see quad heavy cannons. Instead of weapons with mods maybe it would be nice to have consoles determine the mods of the weapons?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-12-2012, 08:10 AM
I'm all for moar options.

I'd like to see a bit more incentive to using the various types of weapons, too. As it is (at least, for my playstyle), nothing beats all Beam Arrays with FAW. No reason to use DBB (33% percent of the Beam Array's arc for only a 30% damage boost? pass), no reason to use (single) Cannons and Turrets due to range drop off... and even with CSV, they don't match FAW.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-12-2012, 08:20 AM
Omg I would be all over heavy DBBs. I would run them on a Scort. So when people try to abuse the Z axis I can still beat them silly and then smash them with a torp.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Hm, maybe the Heavy weapons would only have 1 shot per cycle, compared to the standard 4?

It'll have a lower proc rate, obviously, but it provides better burst. It'd be like a torp. But energy-based.

Maybe?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-12-2012, 08:32 AM
I'd still be all over that as DBBs biggest downfall imo is the lack of burst power. If you could front load their damage like you can a DHC vs DC (which is entirely why DHCs are amazing and DCs suck parts of male anatomy) they would rock the house.

The numbers will still be lower obviously than a DHC but you could fire them much sooner, as a Cannon fired at 5km+ is just a waste of energy which would make up the difference.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-12-2012, 08:49 AM
I would like to be able to craft weapons, choose the modifiers and maybe even proc rate or dps. It should work on a system similar to respecing where u have a certain number of points to spend and can choose where u spend them. Maybe limit to only 1 per ship to limit exploitability....
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-12-2012, 08:51 AM
This game has no crafting system :p

Sides most of us have already bought the properties we love via exchange (where the original owner got them through kerrat drops). Custom crafted weapons wouldn't hurt things.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Would you expect these "heavy" weapons to have the same arc as the originals? Of couse not, so really this is what we're looking at since the arcs would be smaller:

Heavy Cannon = Dual Cannon or DBB
Heavy Dual Beam = 60-45 degree beam with DC-ish damage
Heavy Beam Bank = DBB or Single Cannon (arc/damage) type beam

So pretty much what you want sort of already exists.