Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Lt. Commander
In my effort to learn more about Antiproton weapons I came to the discovery of something. We all know that the Planet Killer ship's Antiproton beam in the game fires a massive cone shaped YELLOW beam of Antiprotons, however, when our ships use Antiproton weapons, we instead fire Red beams. In my research i have learned that there are infact different colors for Antiproton based weapons ranging from the Pure Antiproton color of Yellow that the Planet Killer fired, to a blue/white color of the Delta Rana's main weapon
here is a link with a picture of the Delta Rana firing its Antiproton weapons, http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Antiproton
here is the Planet Killer's Antiproton Beam: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Antiproton_beam.

Having said all this, I ask you now Cryptic/CBS, you say you want the Star Trek Online game to be canon with the TV show, yet you give the REAL color of an Antiproton beam to the Planet Killer's antiproton weapon yet the only option you give to us the players, is a Red beam? Im sorry but this is anything but canon, you clearly got this wrong, as they say "a Picture is worth a thousand words" you cant argue the fact that the two above images show that there is more then one color to Antiprotons, so I ask that you please give us the option to adjust the color of our antiproton weapons between those known colors, you want the game to be canon, well then improve it so that its even more canon, what do you have to lose?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-14-2012, 05:45 AM
Really?

/10chars
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-14-2012, 05:49 AM
Each beam weapon gets a specific color in the game so it can be easily distinguished in PvP. Quite often canon tropes need to give way to game tropes. I mean, honestly, did you ever see a Trek episode where Captains constantly loot their defeated foes?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-14-2012, 05:49 AM
Even though we are able to swap weapons types, in reality Federation starships would only ever use phasers. So in order to be "canon" we would need to remove all of the weapons types.

This is another case of "it's a game" has to trump "reality".
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-14-2012, 05:50 AM
The Delta Rana's beam is made of jacketed beams of antiprotons and positrons, so it stands to reason it is different than the in-game antiproton beam.

Additionally, the planet-killer is always said to fire a beam of pure antiprotons.

Perhaps our in-game antiproton weapons are also 'jacketed' in some way (they are read with a dark outline) but also notably different than the jacketed combo antiproton/positron beam of the Delta Rana.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-14-2012, 11:50 AM
My point still stands, they gave the wrong color to the Antiproton weapons, in order for something to be "canon" to an original source it has to follow what was used in that original source, im not talking about what factions and what not used what, my bottom line point is that there NEVER was a Red Antiproton beam, so there for its a breach of canonical logic that they have forced an unused color that was never seen in the show, no player used Energy Weapon in the game has a Yellow beam color, so why did they make the Antiproton beams we use red when yellow could have easily been used? I know for a fact they want the game to be canon as much as it can be, by doing this they have gone against that. Btw, a Yellow beam would have been VERY distinquishable from Orange (Phaser), Green (Distruptor), Cyan (Plasma), Light Blue (Tetryon) and Purple/pink (Polaron)yet instead they chose red, a color never used with Antiprotons, I am just saying, why this color choice (Red) when it is not canon and there was no reason for it?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Each beam weapon gets a specific color in the game so it can be easily distinguished in PvP. Quite often canon tropes need to give way to game tropes. I mean, honestly, did you ever see a Trek episode where Captains constantly loot their defeated foes?
ST: Voyager?

And all that coffee, Janeway was an obvious MMO junkie...
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-14-2012, 11:55 AM
DAMNIT! Now my whole immersion is ruined.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-14-2012, 11:58 AM
And I thought Phasers were red....I have no issues with anti-protons becoming yellow as it would differentiate easily between all weapon types and give the impression of urinating on my enemy as I fired on them
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Honestly, I'd rather see the Federation only being able to use Federation issued weapons and the Klingons only using Klingon Weapons and so on and so forth. It would add to the diversity of each faction. As far as special weapon types, reserve these for officer abilites. Like tacyon beams being fired from the deflector dish or whatnot.