Lt. Commander
# 1 Old Foes
02-14-2012, 02:51 PM
I have been going over some of my old Star Trek games. I came across Star Fleet Command 1 and 2. I was wondering if there was a possible way that we could see the Hyrda or the Lyran come back as major players in the alpha quadrant.

I would love to see them.

Especially the Lyrans, because they were allies of the Klingon Empire for a shot period of time in lore.

It would be nice to show there dynamic with the Kzinti, as I have seen some photos of soem Kzinit ships and cgi renders of there soldiers online for Enterprise Season 5 but unfortunately the show was cancled so.

As for the Hyrdans, it would just be nice to introduce some older foes, and allies into the game that we have not seen in the game or tv shows in over 20 years.

Give them a fesh new look.

I mean we know the Iconians are upseting the balance of power in the Alpha Quadrant.

Why not have them stir up some old grudges.

Any thoughts would be greatly appricitated.
:p
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-14-2012, 03:08 PM
If they were ever featured in the shows, then yes, it is possible. However, if they were created specifically for SC, then don't hold your breath. Legalese Legalese Legalese Legalese Legalese, so it just isn't worth the trouble. Besides, there are a lot of races untouched to worry about the expense of getting assets from another company.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
If they were ever featured in the shows, then yes, it is possible. However, if they were created specifically for SC, then don't hold your breath. Legalese Legalese Legalese Legalese Legalese, so it just isn't worth the trouble. Besides, there are a lot of races untouched to worry about the expense of getting assets from another company.
They were mentioned in the show although the Lryan were not on any movie or tv the Kzinti were one was featured in Star Trek V

Now as for these races have been around in RTS and otther games, and if I recall Cryptic is trying to ge tthe green light on a hips that was never in any tv show. The Vesta.

Also I state that the Defera were never a race in tv or movie so they can do what they want as long as it does not require them to get permission from CBS IE using copywrited materials stated under there contract.

So please dont be that guy who shoots down an idea because it was not in the shows or movies please.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-14-2012, 04:33 PM
SFC is based on Star Fleet Battles, which is based on the Franz Joseph Star Fleet Technical Manual. To say that the legalities tying it to the Star Trek IP are complex is akin to stating that flying a Type-F shuttle into a Borg Red Alert is mildly hazardous. I remain mildly amazed that the lawyers were able to work out the licensing agreements to permit the games to be published.

Also, the Hydrans and Lyrans were created out of whole cloth for SFB and have zero connection to Roddenberry's Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by benportmann
They were mentioned in the show although the Lryan were not on any movie or tv the Kzinti were one was featured in Star Trek V

Now as for these races have been around in RTS and otther games, and if I recall Cryptic is trying to ge tthe green light on a hips that was never in any tv show. The Vesta.

Also I state that the Defera were never a race in tv or movie so they can do what they want as long as it does not require them to get permission from CBS IE using copywrited materials stated under there contract.

So please dont be that guy who shoots down an idea because it was not in the shows or movies please.
I wasn't shooting it down. I'm just saying if the races you mentioned in the OP are like the Deferi, created by the game maker, then the likelihood of seeing them in STO is remote. If they are actual canon ships, then adding them is a possibility.

The Vesta is an exception to that rule because the creator of that ship himself is actively pushing its inclusion in STO and even sought CBS approval himself.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Kzinti are out of the question at this time. currently the rights to the name Kzinti is held by the owners of Larry Niven's Known Space series . Cryptic has in the past explored getting them but as it turns out they can't at this time due to having to buy the rights.

Interesting fact. The Slaver Weapon which was the episode that introduced the Kzinti to star trek was written by Larry Niven himself.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Here's a few possible playables, Boffs & Doffs that could possibly be added. I'm not sure about the legalities, but they should be okay.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Phylosian Phylosians
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Efrosian Efrosians
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Zakdorn The Zakdorn

and especially...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Deltan Deltans (who are doffs, but not boffs or whatnot.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-14-2012, 05:13 PM
And Tamarians... http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Children_of_Tama Though holding a conversation with them might be a bit tough.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senechall
And Tamarians... http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Children_of_Tama Though holding a conversation with them might be a bit tough.
Captain: "Man, what a battle. Engineering, what's the status of the warp engines?"
Tamarian Chief: "Juliet, her legs open!"

Lt. Commander
# 10
02-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gym_Quirk
SFC is based on Star Fleet Battles, which is based on the Franz Joseph Star Fleet Technical Manual. To say that the legalities tying it to the Star Trek IP are complex is akin to stating that flying a Type-F shuttle into a Borg Red Alert is mildly hazardous. I remain mildly amazed that the lawyers were able to work out the licensing agreements to permit the games to be published.

Also, the Hydrans and Lyrans were created out of whole cloth for SFB and have zero connection to Roddenberry's Trek.
STO ship configuration reminds me of SFC anyway.

Infact I recreated a lot of SFB/SFC style ship configurations and currently fly a BCF configuration from Starfleet Command 2.

Pity we don't have phaser Gs and missile racks