Lt. Commander
# 11
02-14-2012, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardassianNinja View Post
Of course it is star trek. That's a huge overstatement.

And:

If Vulcan was destroyed, whatever planet or moon Spock and Kirk ended up on, which was close enough to view Vulcan disappear, it doesn't seem to have suffered any effects from the gravitational forces that would've been thrown out of wack in that system.
You'd think there might be a few meteorites heading that way, wouldn't you.

But, at the risk of being banned from 10f, I'm absolutely going to see Star Trek 2013 3D!
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-15-2012, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senechall

But, at the risk of being banned from 10f, I'm absolutely going to see Star Trek 2013 3D!
Please. we both know that everyone is going to go see it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Of course it is star trek. That's a huge overstatement.

And:

If Vulcan was destroyed, whatever planet or moon Spock and Kirk ended up on, which was close enough to view Vulcan disappear, it doesn't seem to have suffered any effects from the gravitational forces that would've been thrown out of wack in that system.
Its because the destruction of Vulcan was JJ. Abrams giving the proverbial finger to all that represent Star Trek - In essence its stating, "This is now my UNIVERSE people, to hell with Star Trek logic."

I view it as JJ Abrams creative expressionism in regards to pooping on everything Star Trek, including the Star Trek logic behind it.

Since Vulcans is a staple of Star Trek, why not kill it altogether.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-15-2012, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Haha no cliffs in Iowa? Maybe it was a man made quarry or somethin.
maybe the xindi got bored and blew another chasm in the earth.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-15-2012, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
Please. we both know that everyone is going to go see it.
Not me. I haven't been to a cinema since I moved away from my WoW-guild a few years ago. And if I don't go for Captain Jack Sparrow I most certainly won't do it for Abrams-crap.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-15-2012, 02:53 AM
The timeline of the film is distorted because the romulan appearence in the Kirk's born day.

sorry for my english.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-15-2012, 02:56 AM
No need to launch the ship into orbit, the ship has antigravity technology and it floats to the sky.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-15-2012, 03:02 AM
I liked it as scifi-action entertainment. But as a Star Trek movie? Not really. Lacks any substance. ST6 IMO is still a reference movie for a perfect mix of intelligent story, interesting characters and still has a very good deal of action in it.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-15-2012, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothername View Post
I liked it as scifi-action entertainment. But as a Star Trek movie? Not really. Lacks any substance. ST6 IMO is still a reference movie for a perfect mix of intelligent story, interesting characters and still has a very good deal of action in it.
I agree. I missed the briefing time, the calm moment before the action. The sequence where everything makes sense.

But i understand the film is in a different time line and it explains the difference between the new and old universe.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-15-2012, 06:04 AM
I liked some aspects of it, but I did feel that some parts needed more work before it was even released.

For instance, I didn't really like Uhura hooking up with spock. It just felt awkard and I don't foresee the two of them ever having a long-term relationship. and everyone knows that Vulcans are big on long-term relationships.

and also the way she was SOOO *****y half the time. the only time when she didn't act stuck-up was when she was comforting Spock during that one scene. She just doesn't compare to the oringal Uhura. The oringal Uhura was a super-classy lady and didn't act *****y over every little thing like this one does. Now if She had some backstory to explain why she acted the way she did, then maybe it would be more acceptable.
In fact.... I've wondered if the producers was throwing in some mild Black-exploitation thing... you know, the sterotyping of black men and women. They all always HAVE to act a certain way in movies, TV shows and there can NEVER be a wide diservse of black personalities. Nah, they're just all rappers, Disco men, and so on forth. Black women are always depecited as super *****y, etc. There can never be a black person who's actually genuinely nice, is well-off in the surbubs without having been a rapper or a comedian and doesn't talk "like this dawg, yo!"

that aside, I thought everyone else acted their parts perfectly, it was more or less close to the original characters.

I just thought they overdid the tragedy. It's not enough that spock's planet blew up, he lost his friggin' mom?? He was never that close with his father, so now he's basically alone if that whole thing with Uhura doesn't work out at all. They should had let his mom live, maybe have Kirk save her somehow... this would certainly help smooth over things with Spock and their working relationship later on.

I just can't help but think that in any later new movies spock's going to lose it and go competely Sylar on everyone because he didn't have much in the way of family support and the support of friends. Having Uhura will not be enough, as seeing she's way too highly emtional. And he won't be magically be BFFs with Jim Kirk thanks to the fact that they got off to a super rocky start. that life-altering friendship of theirs will take forever to form, if at all.

In all, the idea itself is good... but they sorta made it too depressing when you think about how things for them would be like long term.