Lt. Commander
# 61
02-17-2012, 05:59 PM
The way I understood it, the ships were "built" modularly on the ground, disassembled, transported into low orbit, and then reassembled.
Kind of like when you see those modular homes being hauled down the freeway.

Kirk was in Command School, so while he probably should have been a Lt. when he graduated, he was certainly training for a captaincy.
Also remember the sheer number of ships that were lost to the Narada (sp?)
The only reason the Enterprise survived is because Sulu "left the parking brake on".

That means all those captains, first officers, heck every crewmember, would have to be replaced.
This would have put Starfleet in a situation where it needed to promote captains fast.

Yes I enjoyed it.
It was a great "what if" for the ST universe and I look forward to the next one.
It doesn't replace the Prime Universe, so what does it matter?

Bones was spot on and Simon Pegg made Scotty my new fav character.
Pure genius in casting those two.
Kirk and Spock, meh.
Lt. Commander
# 62
02-18-2012, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechervil
The way I understood it, the ships were "built" modularly on the ground, disassembled, transported into low orbit, and then reassembled.
Kind of like when you see those modular homes being hauled down the freeway.

Kirk was in Command School, so while he probably should have been a Lt. when he graduated, he was certainly training for a captaincy.
Also remember the sheer number of ships that were lost to the Narada (sp?)
The only reason the Enterprise survived is because Sulu "left the parking brake on".

That means all those captains, first officers, heck every crewmember, would have to be replaced.
This would have put Starfleet in a situation where it needed to promote captains fast.

Yes I enjoyed it.
It was a great "what if" for the ST universe and I look forward to the next one.
It doesn't replace the Prime Universe, so what does it matter?

Bones was spot on and Simon Pegg made Scotty my new fav character.
Pure genius in casting those two.
Kirk and Spock, meh.
It's not like seeing ships built on the ground is new to Trek either: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File...a_Planitia.jpg

In case no one know what they're looking at, it's a Galaxy Class being built on the Martian surface.
Lt. Commander
# 63
02-18-2012, 04:59 AM
A stupid film with a stupid plot.

Starships building and ensambled on ground...... even worse on Earth (I no thinking about the cost of launch that ship, on economical and ecological terms).

Kirk isnt a good officer, is funny guy (the try on kobayashi maru is @#~~

Romulus destroyed by supernova from a distant system (one thing that STO explain, for adding coherence, but certaly isn't cryptic work.... it must be from "idiot" that create that plot).

Vulcan destroyed (any alert from nero`s incomming to wulcan, no defense from Starfleet on borders and space of UFP).

The nero's ship... a miner ship... jajjajajajjaja ok,150 years on future, but it had firepower as destroy a fleet of "military" starships.... stupid indeed. (Another thing that Cryptic has explain for the incompetence of ST2009).

Scotty on exile for "a error" with a experimental beam (with the DOG OF ARCHER!!!!, Archer and his dog (several of them) must be dead a lot of years before!!!).

No phaser, only guns on fed starship.

Uhura and Spock... where is Christine Chapel???

Pavel Chekov as "only" crew member on brige that have the position.... no only a unexperienced ensing... no coment.

Sulu, is now the unexperinced!!!....

Engienering room of "Enterprise" is a huge room with no sense conduits of water (exist more space on that room that space on that section of Enterprise... and lot more than THAT "Enterprise").

"That" Enterprise, with a saucer of refit, nacelles overdimensionated and with a secundary hull small... really even it ship is ugly (for me at least).

And we can continue with lots of thing more... lots and lots of crap.

ST2009, is a film about space ships, but isn't Star Trek. It is a insult to real characters of ST... and only thing that they can make is restore the time line, and it never happened.

(adware to Crypic, if they release anything from that film on STO, it will be tha unique thing that i never buy it).

The destruction of U.S.S. Kelvin can alter several thing of timeline... but not everything on few years.

Thanks to everybody for the fun, sorry for my bad english.
Lt. Commander
# 64
02-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Let's see if I can help change your mind timber.

The shot of the enterprise being built in Iowa is perhaps my favorite shot of the whole film. I really hate that they only show that shot for literally 2 seconds. It's an epic shot that makes the film itself more pleasing to the eyes. Imagine if you saw them building the flagship on earth. It would be an epic view!

I think the whole thing with the nova is that this happened to be a very very very gigantic star and therefore was able to affect nearby systems. Gamma rays from some real black holes travel light years, and this is somewhat believe able. But if you're defending the star trek writers of the past 25 years for making everything literal and practical, you have no argument here. Cybok has the enterprise travel to the center of the galaxy in a couple of days? It's always been about plot convenience, and this just continues the tradition.

In those days, you didn't have lots of starships floating around federation space. How many times did we hear the enterprise is the "only ship in range?" I'm sure Vulcan didn't have adequate defenses at that point.

Nero obviously improved the systems on the mining ship. That plus the 150 years and yeah, it could destroy anything. Imagine the enterprise E against any ships from captain archer's era.

I think the cannon style phasers on the enterprise and the enlarged engineering room makes the film more believable. It's more an extension of modern day technology instead of some magic room with a flashing warp core and carpets!

I think bones asks nurse chapel for some medication for Kirk at some point. They don't show her though.

And there you go! I quite enjoyed the film.
Lt. Commander
# 65
02-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
It either uses the events in the film or it doesn't. And it doesn't.
And if we are precise about it the Countdown comics are not an actual part of the film itself but are independent of it.
So Spock didn't get sent to an alternate reality/timeline in the film? There was no nutty Romulan named Nero trying to get revenge? Romulus wasn't destroyed by a super nova?

Quote:
And I believe it would have been possible for them to have been made without the film itself.
Nope not really seeing as it was a film TIE-IN, as in no film no comic, as there would be no reason what so ever to make said comic.
Lt. Commander
# 66
02-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7
Its because the destruction of Vulcan was JJ. Abrams giving the proverbial finger to all that represent Star Trek - In essence its stating, "This is now my UNIVERSE people, to hell with Star Trek logic."
Star Trek never had logic. It was always powered by Plot Particles from day one.

Star Trek 11 was what it was: A dumb-yet-fun, summer popcorn movie that gave a very worn out property a much needed shot in the arm.
Lt. Commander
# 67
02-19-2012, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardassianNinja View Post
Let's see if I can help change your mind timber.

Nero obviously improved the systems on the mining ship. That plus the 150 years and yeah, it could destroy anything. Imagine the enterprise E against any ships from captain archer's era.
Of course you can change my mind je je je, but it can be dificult!!!

I no have any dude about enterprise E destroying anything with captain archer' era. Even I ho have problems to imagine the same on the Kirk's era (but it's really not easily, and it is more adjusted to the plot scheme). But I cant imagine the same with the merchant ship on STIII put on archer's era or any civilian ship from TNG put on kirk's era. In your chase, it the best fed ship created to fight against the borg. State of art in military affairs. The nero's ship isn't. It can't the power core to powered all weapons and shield. She isnt carry armor to duty combat. She also haven't military desing, structure and stress points has been minded for no exaustive combat situations. And her size!!!!. Really, the only viable explanation about she become from cryptic, saying that nero"s is a military prototipe using borg tech.

The hobus system... Gamma ray can destroly close systems of course, but hobus isn't close from romulus. Even in that chase, Romulan fleet had several years to evacuate Romulus. Even in the worst chase all romulan people had years to known that is happen and of course, any civilian blame to Spock for that. And of course, if we speak about phisical wave and residues from star, it can take more years to reach to romulus. Shockwave lose strengh with distant and any part of star (we known that great part of it remain on the same system) can be desviated from imperial navy... beacouse we aren't speak about a distant planet with no technologycal resources or advances starship.... we are talking about one of great powers in the quadrant with a powerful and advance imperial navy. In that chase, only viable explanation become again from Cryptic.

When I say about Christine Chapel was about she really love to Spock (at least in the correct timeline... again destruction of Kelvin isn't too strong argument.

About STV, quality from plot isn't too good, but It compensate with some of better phrases about friendship and family. She is more about that feelings.

You can say about STVI with praxis shokwave, or STVII with nexus. But any of them are best plot working than ST2009.

How I say.... that is only my personal point of view.

If ST2009 haven't the name of ST and haven't any char from ST, it can be a decent or even "good" space film, with ST or ST's characters, it only is a bad and no sense remake.

Thanks to everybody for the fun, sorry for my bad english.

P.D.: "Computer, delete ST2009 file"
Lt. Commander
# 68
02-19-2012, 03:27 AM
Is it just me or was ST 2009 more emotionally engaging than the previous fifteen years of Star Trek Films before it?
Lt. Commander
# 69
02-19-2012, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Is it just me or was ST 2009 more emotionally engaging than the previous fifteen years of Star Trek Films before it?
Define what you mean please.

Yes, it was emotional, in terms of Vulcan being destroyed.
Lt. Commander
# 70
02-19-2012, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Do you not remember Spock's funeral? Or Picard burying Kirk on Veridian III? Or even Data sacrificing himself to stop Shinzon?

The only emotion I really remember from this movie was the emotion of anger and disgust, because it was incredibly far flung from what Star Trek has been established as over the past 40 years.