I've had it for days now. It won't go away. Seems I have to complete it before any other daily is unlocked, and it sucks:
1 - Your team WILL drop. That's a bug that's been happening. Because there's multiple zones and multiple teams per zone, it leads to confusion and people leaving.
2 - It takes FOREVER, which is another reason people leave. Even if everyone knows what to do, it takes too long.
3 - You seem to be forced to complete it before any other fleet action dailies are available. Unlike other games, dailies in STO seem to be persistent until completed.
PLEASE let us drop a daily and have a different one offered to us the next day! This daily is nothing but a headache. I don't mean dropping one and having another offered right away, I mean each day is a DIFFERENT daily. That way we can all skip The Big Dig. Ugh, I've been here 45 minutes and still no team invite from my instance.
I'm also now stuck in a lamppost at spawn, /stuck cannot be used, and we are 1 Reman Captain away from victory. There seems to be no way to request ingame GM help. I'm basically screwed.
It's one of the worst missions, right up there next to Crystalline Entity.
1. Talk in zone chat and get everyone together. There should be 4 teams of 5 people on that map, getting everyone together and advancing like that helps a lot.
2. Communication is key. Either team chat or local. Don't use zone unless you really really have to.
3. Never leave dead people behind. Respawning is a ***** and getting back to the team is mostly impossible once the scientists are saved. Use the reviving skill. Nobody goes anywhere alone, ever.
4. Dump the autoteaming and try to make balanced teams out of the 20 people in the instance. 2 tac + 2 sci medics + 1 fabrication engineer seems to work best.
5. Remember the 3 locations where scientists are off the main trench route and go there when you pass by. This first objective should be done in one run around the trench.
6. For the kill 125 romulans objective get out of the trench. Groups of romulans spawn at the corners of the pyramid, and also along the wooden trench roofs. Avoid guards/elite guards/dark warriors, these are remans.
7. When the whole team gets wiped, have people with cloak respawn and make their way back to ressurect everyone.
8. If the team gets respawned all over the map, find each other first then proceed with the mission.
9. DO (or redo) the Devidian missions in the Klingon War episode pack, you should get a Phase Shifted shield which helps A LOT against those dark warriors that use psi powers.
10. Romulan captains spawn on the stairs of the pyramid, up on top and at all 4 corners at ground level. Reman captains only spawn on the sides of the pyramid, and at upper level corners (not ground level).
11. Plasma fire and people on fire from it can be put out with the fire extinguisher you got during the tutorial.
11. It does take quite a lot of time to complete, prepare accordingly.
To update, it seems the daily mission is random and not set like I first suspected. The Big Dig has been properly replaced by other missions on some days, and stayed as the daily on other days.
The mission itself - yeah it's a seriously annoying mission. With a competent team it's not too bad but it's still so long! It can easily take up an entire gaming session and doesn't offer anything more than the other fleet actions do aside from tons of lock boxes and throwaway loot (I've never seen a decent item drop as random loot).
Use to, you could jump into a lower level instance when the game still had open instance fleet actions. Since the implementation of the queue system, the only fleet action that pops for pugs is the mirror event fleet action. The open instance fleet actions(with minimum one standard level instance, and one VA level instance) should be reactivated post-haste! Also, the Big Dig, DS9 Under Siege! and Undine Fleet actions should be cross factional teaming as well.
The response to my ticket said I should try logging out and back in to fix getting stuck.
If I do that, I get dropped from the instance entirely which is a total waste of time because that mission takes like an hour with a competent team.
I've relogged during Cure Ground to fix my character not being able to shoot, use skills, or interact with objects -- I could just move and crouch. I came back inside the instance. Would that not happen with Big Dig? I don't think I've done it to know if it's set up differently than the STFs (i.e. not just an instanced area).
Ultimately you may have still been stuck in the object, though.