Lt. Commander
# 1 Crew Injury/Death Rate
02-15-2012, 05:09 AM
Prior to reaching the CDR Cruiser, crew casualties and deaths made sense. I'd only take crew deaths if the shields were down and I was getting smashed hard by torpedoes and the like. Injuries came from sustained fighting when hits were taken to the hull, but were not large spikes, like kinetic damage.

When I hit Commander I know can barely keep 1/5th of my crew during any fight. At first I was having trouble keeping shields up, and figured that was the problem. Once I got into all the good defensive shield skills, however, I noticed that my shields would barely budge and bleed through would barely scratch the hull, and I'd lose (and I watched this about five seconds ago, which prompted this post) 1/4th of my whole able crew (went to injured) in two or three shots from Gorn frigates and a cruiser. Just to clarify, these shots didn't make my shield budge at all.

So my question is if this is normal? This seems almost ridiculously immense. If I was taking hull hits I'd understand, but in about the first five seconds of a fight, my crew goes from 500 to 100 or less with my shields still 90% or more and my hull barely 98-99% from bleed through.

How can I lessen this in any meaningful way?

Thanks in advance.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-15-2012, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurryhunter View Post
Prior to reaching the CDR Cruiser, crew casualties and deaths made sense. I'd only take crew deaths if the shields were down and I was getting smashed hard by torpedoes and the like. Injuries came from sustained fighting when hits were taken to the hull, but were not large spikes, like kinetic damage.

When I hit Commander I know can barely keep 1/5th of my crew during any fight. At first I was having trouble keeping shields up, and figured that was the problem. Once I got into all the good defensive shield skills, however, I noticed that my shields would barely budge and bleed through would barely scratch the hull, and I'd lose (and I watched this about five seconds ago, which prompted this post) 1/4th of my whole able crew (went to injured) in two or three shots from Gorn frigates and a cruiser. Just to clarify, these shots didn't make my shield budge at all.

So my question is if this is normal? This seems almost ridiculously immense. If I was taking hull hits I'd understand, but in about the first five seconds of a fight, my crew goes from 500 to 100 or less with my shields still 90% or more and my hull barely 98-99% from bleed through.

How can I lessen this in any meaningful way?

Thanks in advance.
Torpedoes don't need to take your shields down to kill crew, the impact rattles them. Make use of brace for impact when you see a lot of torpedoes on the way in. Crew only affects your passive hull repair, some folks don't care about it at all, but I've found those ticks of regen to be helpful on the odd occasion. You could use on of the 35% crew regen science consoles, those show a difference, but the engineering resistance one doesn't seem to do much from my experience.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-15-2012, 05:31 AM
On a similar note, I wanna know why my Defiant's crew doesn't recover during battle at all. Every other ship my characters have had didn't have this problem, but I spent pretty much an entire Fed Mirror event keeping my ship together with Engineering Team last night. 0/50 alive crew the entire time until the Stadi came out and broke combat long enough.

But, to answer your question, a torpedo doesn't need to make a direct impact with your hull to disable your crew. I think it's been shown a few times on the different shows that a hit with a torpedo that was absorbed by the shields can still rattle the ship pretty badly. One of your guys (or in your case, 90% of them) in the cargo bay could have been squashed by a flying crate. o_o
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2012, 05:43 AM
That was just it. What hit me were Disruptors. I expect Torpedoes to do it, but this was just a few Disruptor shots. My crew literally went from 500 to 350ish in just one set of shots from a Gorn cruiser and a frigate...

And the best part was, those shots barely scratched the shields.

As for Brace For Impact, I have been trying to use it prior to receiving a lot of torpedo hits. Not sure what difference, if any, lol, it's making, but I tend to use it just before I open a fight with a cluster of ships, since every one of them seems to have Torpedo: Spread.

Anyhow, yeah, the part that totally shocked me was the beams lol. The only reason I'm not screaming foul, rather than the eyebrow raising I'm doing now, is that plenty of times in the series or movies some group of poor *******s just walking down halls or standing at the wrong desk got blasted to the floor when the first few hits contacted the shields, lol.

EDIT: Question I just remembered to ask. Could I get some clarification on the torpedo tool tip?

It states: 50% Chance: Lesser of -20 or -20% Able Crew; 10% Chance: Lesser of -10 or -10% Alive Crew.

Is this talking about the crew injury/death chance attached to torpedoes? If so (and I'm assuming it is, though the tool tip makes it almost sound like it's a chance for the torpedo to fail), it is referring to taking 20 or 20% (whichever is less) Able crew and placing them as Alive (injured), and/or 10 or 10% (whichever is less) and placing them as deaths?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2012, 06:14 AM
If I am remembering correctly, if you repeatedly die, your crew will not regenerate until a while later. So if you consecutively die, then they won't just regen on spawn.

Can't say I'm certain though.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-15-2012, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik
If I am remembering correctly, if you repeatedly die, your crew will not regenerate until a while later. So if you consecutively die, then they won't just regen on spawn.

Can't say I'm certain though.
that used to be the "death penalty" in the game.. with crew tied directly to how quickly you "heal" damage on a ship.. but the mechanic never seemed to work properly, in either healing, recovery or how quickly they "died" on you..

Its a passing obsveration, as i dont normally pay much attention to my "crew" status, but in the last few days i have noticed that i come out of any and all battles with pretty much zero crew intact.. it might be a bug, or a change in how its intended to be... but i think it warrents further looking at, as it never used to be like this
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-15-2012, 07:13 AM
The way the current crew situation is implimented in game play has more to do with flavor than practical affect as far as I'm concerned.

I used a recovery console for a good while thinking it made a difference in terms of performence, but after swapping it out for something else I have found that worrying about your crew recovery is meaningless in terms of combat performence.

Kind of sad really. I would like to see something implimented that made it a factor of concern.

As it stands your crew is put out of action much too fast for my taste.

Every battle I am in makes me feel like I am fighting with a skelitin crew.

I think it should be much harder to kill, or incapacitate crew and based on how much damage the crew takes a chance to have your Boffs and Doffs personally injured, or killed should be implimented.

That brings an issue overlooked by most people.

You can potentially have 400 Doffs, but many ships have far less crew.

Try to explain how you have even 100 duty officers on a ship with 40 crew.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-15-2012, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trismigistus View Post
That brings an issue overlooked by most people.

You can potentially have 400 Doffs, but many ships have far less crew.

Try to explain how you have even 100 duty officers on a ship with 40 crew.
I saved them all in my transporter buffer, only way in my escord.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Not to completely blow a hole in your immersion, but a while back Cryptic admitted the crew system wasn’t working right and explained this is actually your ship’s effectiveness rating just masked as crew. They were going to change that, but it looks like it was tabled.

If this actually represented crew, and you were a deck hand in STO, getting an assignment aboard a cruiser is akin to a death sentence. That open volley almost always drops off huge portions your crew in a cruiser, and when tanking you almost never end up with more than half unharmed.

Not very realistic unfortunately because Cryptic used percentages instead of a flat number of crew injured per hit.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-15-2012, 08:02 AM
Personally I never saw it as injury / death.

I saw crew as being either stunned or incapacitated (unconscious).

On a side note: Game lore also stated that all ships had extensive holo-emitters built inside so that holo-crew can immediately take over a station or duty as needed. The lore even went so far to say that sometimes ships were sent out with only holo-crew when it would be too dangerous to have live crew (like in areas of high radiation).

I saw holo-crew as the reason a ship can keep functioning with most all the crew is stunned or incapacitated.. Holo-crew may not be as creative or have the ingenuity of a live crew but they can perform any duty or work any station exactly by the book.. As that was how they were programmed.