Lt. Commander
When we que up for an STF we have no way to talk to the players, or get to know who they will be before showing up in the STF with completely random players.

I know we have the option to make our own rooms for STF's, but for the life of me they are almost always locked rooms with players who are members of cliques leaving the vast majority of players out in the cold trying to find a good group to play with.

I want to be able to chat with my group before entering an STF and not just be forced to play with random people.

Change the current Que system to make it so when you que up for an STF you can choose a room that is unlocked and decide if your compatable with the people in it and discuss things with one another.

This being flung into an STF cold turkey with complete strangers is for the birds.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Alecto
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-15-2012, 07:33 AM
I think that you raise some good points, and this is exactly how STF teams used to be formed before the season 5 changes. Gamma Orionis zone chat was constantly filled with people looking for teams for STF runs. You'd find a group, hang out in team chat a little bit before entering the system, get to know folks, make sure everyone was up to speed on the mission plan, then go kill Borg. I was perfectly willing to do the occasional PUG run under that system, now I absolutely refuse to do a PUG except as a joke to see how bad they are. However, with F2P numbers, trying to organize folks in zone chat simply wouldn't work, even just for the Elite missions.

I think your suggestion has merit; perhaps after the queue 'pops' instead of being thrown in-mission you're put into a private chat room and can discuss things, then people who don't like the group can leave.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-15-2012, 07:40 AM
I'd suggest if you want to pre-plan a touch (which I get) think about joining one of the STF based chat channels, or hanging around DS9 once we drive the dominion out again, theres often a reasonable amount of chatter going on around there.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2012, 07:55 AM
It wouldn't hurt to have a dialog similar to the PvP/PvE private queues show up when everyone signs up that stays open for 60 to 120 seconds. Add a vote button to force proceed when everyone is ready and teams can head off with at least a basic introduction to each other.

I actually do believe though that Team Chat should be forced visiable while in an STF with no way to ignore it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2012, 09:02 AM
I love the idea!. I avoid pugs altogether just to avoid being paired with players who have STFs on farm status. I am a new player and don't really like being the square wheel sort to speak. Getting to chat with people before the STF starts is a great idea for new players to get important info before the mission starts...
Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-15-2012, 09:14 AM
I avoided stf's like the plague until I joined a fleet. They were very helpful and today ran two stfs on normal with me and one other new guy so we could get the feel for what to do in them. He explained it before going in and just made sure we adhered to the procedure once we were in it like "be careful not to shoot the gate" etc.
Doing it this way we both learned, as well we were able to complete all objectives on both infected and cure.

Even though it was normal, we are now more prepared and not so shy if we have to pug. Join an active fleet, because I think thats going to be the best way to avoid the elitist situations, and you will be more comfortable with the "procedures" of stfs.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjytopher
Join an active fleet, because I think thats going to be the best way to avoid the elitist situations, and you will be more comfortable with the "procedures" of stfs.
I did join a fleet. They have 300 members, but rarely do I ever see 10 of them online at once.

Sad fact is the mix does not make for decent STF's. Never enough people willing, or able.

They are good people too. I hate joining a Fleet and leaving.

I have been fighting with myself over the idea of leaving.

I am sure many Fleets are in the same boat as mine.

We have members who want to do STF's, but it just never works out.

Were lucky to get two; or occasionaly three of us, but invariably we end up running into the same exact problem when you just do a PUG by yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-15-2012, 09:29 AM
If you can find one or two other people to group with you while doing STFs it would help a lot. With one additional person you can fill most gaps (unless people hit both sides on infected). I have done over 200 STFs and every time I group with a buddy of mine we do well, when I go alone it is a toss up an how well the group does.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naldoran

I think your suggestion has merit; perhaps after the queue 'pops' instead of being thrown in-mission you're put into a private chat room and can discuss things, then people who don't like the group can leave.
Thats exactly what I am talking about.

I want to be put in a room with chat exactly the way it is when you join one that you create.

The obvious problem with that kind of implimentation would be launching the STF when everyone is ready.

It would not do to have one person randomly chosen. Might be a jerk wanting to grief people.

I can't even blame Cryptic for the problem because I see why its the way it is. They wanted people to just be able to jump right in and prevent people from being rejected for any reason by other players.

Perhaps a dedicated chat channel just for STF's would solve the problem. People can announce they are interested and can then be privately chatted by someone holding a room open who can then decide if they wish to invite the person and give them the password.

That way we can just work with creating private rooms and inviting interested people using the resources already integrated into the chat channel programming.

It seems this would put the least amount of burden on the developers in terms of addressing the problem by not requiring changes to the programming, or the current STF format.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-15-2012, 10:06 AM
After making the above post and loging back into the game it occured to me to just make an STF channel. Turned there is one with 240ish members and some 30 people active in it as of this post.

Problem is noone is answering. Its all quiet.